Nissan Titan Forum banner

My install.

14K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  t22a80 
#1 · (Edited)
Some of you were asking to see my install so here we go. Its been a long work in progress but I think I'm done for a little while. However I will be replacing my rear speaker amp when I find the one I want (Arc Audio XXK-2050). I don't have a garage because I live in an apartment. So its been tough getting some serious time to be able to take it apart and back together in the same day.

Here is the head unit. A Eclipse CD5000. Overall I like this head unit it has the best sound quality of any that I've had before. It doesn't have all of the tuning features of some of the others but I typically don't mess with that stuff anyway.

It has an Aux input so I wired in my MP3 player. It sounds pretty good.

I also installed the Sirius tuner I'll go into detail on that later.

At the battery I used a Kicker 0/1 GA multi amp kit. I really like this Kicker stuff its awesome quality.

Inside the cab. I drilled a hole in the floor for the wire. I used a liquid tight grommet to secure the wire.

Here are the distro blocks next to one of the XXK-2500's

You can see I made an "amp rack" out of Plexiglas. I thought this would be cool but it turned out to be hard to work with. The cheap stuff I bought at Home Depot cracked easily and thats why these didn't turn out too great. If I feel like replacing them I will use better stuff next time but for now it works.

Here is my first setup using different amps. I put the amp under the CDT crossovers. This is a set of the 560 crossovers and the 500 upstage blending modules.

Here is a pic with the covers off, it shows all the settings of the CDT crossovers.

MORE POWER!
Here we go with the new setup. You can see I moved the xovers to the bottom and put one of my XXK-2500's on the top. These amp put out 270x2 at 4 ohms and sound great. You can see in the above pic (amp rack) I made a cutout in the plexi to allow air to flow directly into the fan.

Here we are on the drivers side. You can see I ran the wires under the center console.

This is the rear fill amp. Its a little Alpine 35x2 that I plan on replacing.

And the other XXK-2500 I use bridged for the sub. It should be putting out about 1100 wrms at 4 ohms. Unfortunately the previous owner took off the badge.

Here are some pics with the seats back in place. I wish those Arc amps were about 4 inches shorter!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Here we go again. This section will be about speakers. I choose CDT because they have nice stuff that isn't extremely expensive. Its also not a name brand that everyone knows. (I like that part too) You also cant beat the 10 year Warrantee!

The front set are the M6 woofer. I opted to go with the braxial mount for the DRT-26 silk dome tweeter. I also added the upstage UP519 kit. This helps bring the sound up above the dash. I wanted the best on axis response but I didnt want the sound coming from the floor. This kit helps this by putting an addtional set of tweeters in the a-pillar. I think it sounds pretty good.

You can see here I sealed up the front doors using Raamatt. I also added the Ensolite foam to help quiet things down a bit. I ran the doors "unsealed" for a while but sealing them and adding the foam really helped the midbass. It really brought those M6 woofers alive. They really do kick!

Here is the "upstage tweeter" Its a 3/4" silk dome mounted in the a-pillar. The other side matches.

The rear sepakers are a set of the CDT 6.5" coaxials. These sound great for the 50 bucks I paid for them! (on sale from 99)

Here is the panel removed I sealed and foamed these doors like the front.

This is how I ran the wires. I tried to use flex loom but it kept making noise when I closed the door and that drove me crazy. This is Monster Cable that I bought at Walmart. It is twisted with an extra jacket on it. I think it will be ok.

#4 ·
This section I'd like to call "The box that James built"

I choose a CDT SQ-10 subwoofer to keep them all the same brand. This isn't the best sub in the world but I think overall its a nice mix of sq and spl. It wont shake your fillings loose but its plenty loud for me. I only wanted one because thats all I need. The other thing is I really wanted it to be down fire because I use the back seat area to put a lot of stuff.

Here is the sub.

I ordered the sub and had it shipped directly to James from CDT. This allowed him time to tweak the box and make sure that it would sound great. I did this because he has never built a box for a CDT sub. This also gave him a chance to try it out and see what he thought.

Here are pics James sent to me to show me the progress. He had to make the top out of fiberglass to allow the mounting depth of the sub and also have clearance to have it down fire.

Here you can see the box in the truck I like that it only takes up one side and is somewhat portable.

Some argue that up fire is the way to go. Not a problem with this box. All I have to do is flip it over. It fits either way.

Because I bought this box before James started putting terminal cups in I had to figure out a way to wire the box. I really wanted the ability to take it out when I needed to but I didn't want to have to run wires where everyone could see them. So I decided to run the wires under the carpet from the amp then I bought some high quality marine grade disconnects and put them in. I didn't notice a difference in sound but it makes it so easy to remove. (good or bad).

#6 ·
HAHA I know I know.... I've been slacking!

#8 ·
Thats pretty much it.

I also added Raamatt to the rear wall, floors and ceiling then added the foam too. I was pretty impressed with the Raamatt, its very easy to work with. I had a little Dynamatt Xtreme leftover from another install. I used a little of that on the rear doors and by the time I was finished my fingers were all cut up from the foil.

The only other thing I didn't cover is the install of the sat radio. I used the Sirius Connect that plugs into the Eclipse head unit. I tried to mount the antenna on the dash but because I live in an area with a lot of trees the reception was lousy. I decided to move the antenna to the roof and when I did that I also put the matt and foam on the roof.

I wanted to thank Patrick (P-dizzle) and James (tech12volt). They helped me out behind the scenes. Even though I have done plenty of installs they still had some good ideas for me. The box James built is top quality and I'd recommend him to anyone looking for a box no questions asked.

I know my pic's aren't as pretty as P-dizzle's but I hope this helps others see some ways that things can be done.

I'm just happy to be done... for now! ;)

So Jacob hurry up and get me one of those 50x2's so I dont have to buy another Arc!

#9 ·
tech12volt said:
And that sub weights a ton. Nice job. Sweet *** box where did you get it.
HAHA it has a big magnet, but lets not get into that debate tonight! haha

I figured you'd say that. For those of you who dont know Tech12volts is James!

#10 ·
So how do you like the M6? Now that i have some kicks coming I am definitely thinking of upgrading the mid that came with my CF-61/twi24 set. I am actually thinking about letting tech keep his MBs and put the euro gold 3ways with upstage in similar to yours.

Nice install.

#11 ·
bighitter said:
So how do you like the M6? Now that i have some kicks coming I am definitely thinking of upgrading the mid that came with my CF-61/twi24 set. I am actually thinking about letting tech keep his MBs and put the euro gold 3ways with upstage in similar to yours.

Nice install.
I cant comment on this because thats what I was going to do when I WON the kicks! haha.

That would sound amazing, I'd step right up to the ES06+ since you have the 4" and then pick a tweeter to go with it.

As far as the M6's they are amazing. I've tried CL's and EF's and they are no comparisson. In a sealed up door they really pound. I even unhooked my sub for a while and I was very impressed. Don (my CDT guy) said that the 06+ puts the m6 to shame. Unfourtnatley you would need to build a small box to mount them in the doors because they have to be in a sealed box. Like a mini sub. The only reason I didnt buy the 06+ before is they didnt make a braxial mount.

#12 ·
bighitter said:

Nice install.
If you do this i will need the comps as soon as i can have them . i have to build the kicks to the spoeakers

#13 ·
For those of you who want more info on stuff feel free to ask.

Here is a list of some things I used and where I bought it.

Sub Box. -- Tech 12 Volts, James
www.tech12volts.com

I bought most of my stuff from Sound Domain but here are some links to what I have.

Eclipse CD5000.

I bought it from Sound Domain but its not listed anymore
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tn9VBDpy0FL/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=099CD5000

Sat Radio--Circuit City
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tn9VBDpy0FL/popups/accessory.asp?i=099SIRECL1

Kicker Wire kit. --Sound Domain.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3935_Kicker+PKD1.html

CDT Speakers -- PM me for more info
http://www.cdtaudio.com/car_audio.htm

Sound Deadning-- Rammaudio--PM me for more info
http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

#14 ·
tech12volt said:
If you do this i will need the comps as soon as i can have them . i have to build the kicks to the spoeakers
HAHA you might as well build 2 sets while you're at it. Ohh and I'll need that sealed box for the door to put the ES06+ in it too!

#15 ·
Hmmm hey whats don's email, I used to have it but not sure I still do?

I will let you know before I leave for Mexico.

#16 ·
bighitter said:
Hmmm hey whats don's email, I used to have it but not sure I still do?

I will let you know before I leave for Mexico.
You have a PM.

#17 ·
#18 ·
HAHA utt ohh!!!!

What did you do now?

#20 ·
Thats awesome man, I'm glad you went for it! I'm extremely jealous! I wish I had done that from the start but I didnt have any kicks to use :(

I'm sure Don gave you a great deal on it too!

#21 ·
Ofcourse he did, second time dealing with him and happy both times.

But I have to thank tech12volt for the kick panels and being willing to do the work to make these fit.

I bet if you ask him nicely he may be interested in doing a set for you now since he is already having to mock them up.

#23 ·
bighitter said:
Ofcourse he did, second time dealing with him and happy both times.

But I have to thank tech12volt for the kick panels and being willing to do the work to make these fit.

I bet if you ask him nicely he may be interested in doing a set for you now since he is already having to mock them up.
Cool man, glad he took care of you!

And of course James for his great customer service....

I already sent him the email!!

#24 ·
konigfritz said:
very nice T22!

how long until you install a system on the triumph!? LOL

Thanks man, :cheers:

Like last year I havent put many miles on the Triumph :( Between injuries from racing motocross and rainy days I just havent felt like it.

#25 ·
hmmm seems like that amp is very similar to the planet audio vx2250d:) good amp tho i prefer staying with known brand names like kicker, memphis, mtx, rockford fosgate. i will post up some pics of my installation of mids and highs. im dropping in a set of 6x9's in the front and 6" in the back powered by a rockford fosgate 201s amp rated at 600 watts.its gonna be loud:cheers:

#26 ·
kha4079 said:
hmmm seems like that amp is very similar to the planet audio vx2250d:) good amp tho i prefer staying with known brand names like kicker, memphis, mtx, rockford fosgate. i will post up some pics of my installation of mids and highs. im dropping in a set of 6x9's in the front and 6" in the back powered by a rockford fosgate 201s amp rated at 600 watts.its gonna be loud:cheers:

I'm not trying to be a jerk but here are the facts.

I have used all of those brands in the past and most of them dont compare to Arc Audio.
Arc is a well known brand to anyone that is familiar with high end car audio. It is a smaller company and it is not sold in the big box stores that is why a lot of people have never heard of them. The amps are designed my Robert Zeff (The founder of Zapco) one of the premier designers in the industry. The amps are very high quality. My 2 Arc XXK-2500s are rated at 270x2 @ 4 ohms for the front speakers and 1050x1 @ 4 ohms for the sub.

I am not familiar with that Planet Audio amp. I looked online but didn't find any info on it. I know that the older Planet amps were build here in the states by Zed Audio. A company owned by Stephen Mantz, he is another premier designers here in the states. The new Planet stuff is not nearly as good of quality as the old stuff built in the states. The company sold out and moved production overseas to make more profits and the quality suffered.

The Rockford 201s is rated at only 50x2 rms the 600 watts is a peak number that will likely never be reached. This is something that confuses a lot of people, its all smoke and mirrors that the companies like to promote to make the products seem better than they really are. I'm not saying that the amp is bad, just dont be fooled always look for the "RMS" rating.

Goodluck with your install!

What kind of speakers are you going to use?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.