Nissan Titan Forum banner

What size tires for non lifted 4x4

13K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  jd96 
#1 ·
Hey guys, brand new to the Titan world.
Just bought an '04 badly in need of tires.
What is the largest size I can get away with on the stock 17" wheels without lifting the truck?

#4 ·
What is the stock tire size on the truck? 17 inch, but what is the tire size? Is this the offroad wheel?

#5 ·
285/70/17 is almost a 33" tire to begin with. Stepping up to the 315/70/17 is 34.5" and probably would rub quite a bit. Just a guess. the 305/65 would gain you some width while keeping the stock height but I think your selection will be much more limited. Width isn't good if you live in the snow either, but it's not like they would be horrible.

#7 ·
It's only about 3/4" difference in radius from a stock tire.
Is stock 285/70? If so, than the 315/70 is a lot more than 3/4" difference. The 285/70 is "almost" a 33 in most brands. Keep in mind all brands and models have slightly different overall sizes. The few specs I've looked at on Tire rack seem to be averaging 285/70's at about 32.8" and the 315/70's at about 34.5". I think it was the General grabber HTS that had the 285/70 at a large 33"+ tire. So, you may be looking at an inch and a half difference.....

#8 · (Edited)
So, you may be looking at an inch and a half difference.....
Which is 3/4" in radius. IOWs, the tire will be 3/4" bigger, measured from the center. This is the difference in clearance.
I would guess there's more than 3/4" of clearance with the stock tire.
But then, I've guessed wrong before. :confused:

Just looking at it mathematically; I'll be adding what, 1-1/2" clearance with the leveling kit?
I'll only be taking away 3/4" of that with the tire.
Seems to add up but...

Sometimes, math doesn't add up (bad pun fully intended)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.