Nissan Titan Forum banner

Brakemotive and Hawk performance install/test thread!

23K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  hondabrad300 
#1 ·

Well i dropped the $$$ on the pads then decided to get some rotors cause of vibrations and pulsing... i was looking at the ones from Frozen Rotors but didn't want to or have the funds to pay $160 each. Saw these on eBay for $160 for all 4 so i thought i'd give you guys a review.

I'm very hard on my truck and tend to kill brakes (not from over use but proper braking into corners while pushing the limits). They come with a 1 year warranty so lets see if i can get them to warp :coolsmile

See less See more
#2 ·
Let me know how install goes. In need in new brakes my self

#4 ·
i was wanting to get them on today but i don't have a lighted shop area still... tomorrow i'll get more pics up and first impressions. :cheers:

#5 ·
Check out brakeperformance.com or performancebrakes.com I can't remember. I got all 4 slotted and dimpled rotors with descent ceramic pads about a year and a half ago from them for roughly $450 shipped to my door. The rotors have a lifetime warranty against warping. I actually did manage to warp 1 shortly after I installed them and they swapped it out for me with no issues. They are pretty nice and will def out perform the oem junk by leaps and bounds. I def am a customer for life with them. I also have a friend that got the exact same set up as I have but his were for his 4wd diesel excursion with about 4500lbs of car stereo in the form of 12 12" subs and 6 amps and a bubble tank and 4 dedicated batteries and his truck stops as good as if not better than my titan.

#6 ·
ok got them installed and broken in today :banana: the front install was simple, just 2 big bolts that were the same size as the lugs to pull the caliper off and then the pads slid right out. Found out that all the vent holes were completely packed with mud though! The front pads were still good so i'm still sitting on the Hawks till they wear out. The back was a little weird, i though i had taken it apart before but i guess i hadn't. Instead of 2 big bolts you pull out 2 smaller ones and then have to press a clip down to rotate the caliper out. The back pads were shot so they got replaced. So far no vibrations and no squeaks so i'm happy! The rotors look broke in good too can't see any hot spots in them.

The mud!

Oooo shiney!

The rear disassembly

#7 · (Edited)
:rofl: MUD!!! :rofl:

I'm thinking that mud was a huge part of the prior judder issue... Looks good Daryl...

I replaced my front and rear pads a couple months ago... the OE rear rotors got turned and the fronts are Cryo-PowerSlots... They are still looking decent without any thick hotspots...

#9 ·
Rotors are still looking as good as new! Just the normal wear from the pads, i haven't driven it hard yet but it's felt good in every application so far. :cheers:

#13 ·
Check it out
Premium Dimpled and Slotted Brake Rotors

"Slotting assists in removing the debris generated between the pad and rotor during braking as well as increasing the "bite" characteristics of the pad/rotor interface. A drilled rotor provides the same benefits and works better in the wet, but is more susceptible to cracking under severe usage, as well as causing greater pad wear."

#14 ·
Good evening gents! I have been running brakemotive (ebay) rotors for almost 100k with no problem. I put them on at 60k and am now at 157k! I have gone through 2 sets of pads, no rotor issues at all. The pads that came with the kit lasted a long time. I am just now having to replace the rear pads.

However, I'm not sure if a shop can turn dimpled and slotted rotors, but it's cheap to replace them again.

I can't compare to the Frozen Rotor/Hawk setup, but the brakemotive parts have worked for me.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: ostaF
#15 ·
Reds Titan, you prob should have put the new pads on with the new rotors just so everything seats and wears in properly. Thanks for the info though I'm tired of the stock squeaky crappy brakes and rotors and didn't want to pay a ton for new stuff!

#18 ·
All 4 rotors and pads for my 04 is $194 shipped. Not bad at all since the Wagner pads for the front cost me around $70.

Will most likely order these this weekend. Thought about the 08 brake upgrade, but if these work as good, will stay with stock size and can still run my 17's.

#23 ·
Mine have started squeaking but I spend time in mud and salt water, still holding up though and no vibrations or hot spots. Need to check my front pads to see if I need to put my Hawks on.

#24 ·
Hey reds do you know how many miles were on them before they started to make noise. I think I am going to hit the buy button. I like what i hear. Everyone who has a set from this person has nothing negative to say. Some say the more expensive brand is better cause the name is known.

#25 ·
started this thread 4/12 so i'm guessing maybe 10k miles... but like i said i didn't use the new pads on the front yet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.