Nissan Titan Forum banner

Goodyear Duratracs on stock 20's...my review

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  DeadRiver 
#1 · (Edited)
During my research on tires, I didn't find a whole lot on installing 285/60/20 tires on the stock rims, so I thought I would post my experiences...

So last Thursday I had a set of 285/60/20 Goodyear Duratracs installed on my 2012 Titan. They were installed on my stock 20" wheels. They have a load rating "E" with a Severe Service rating. I got them from Discount Tire.

My Titan has Bilstein 5100's up front on the 2nd perch. Nothing else.

I decided to go with the Duratracs for a few reasons....first is mainly due to no one offers a LT tire in a stock size of 275/60/20. Second, because I really like the Severe Service rating of the tires since I live in CO and see quite a bit of snow. Third, I have read nothing but great things about them, and by default, no one in town had the Goodyear Adventurers in stock (which I am thankful for).

First impressions....
1) The 285/60/20's are about 6/10" taller than the stock 275/60/20 tires. Knowing my speedometer would be off slightly, I grabbed my old GPS and downloaded an app on my iPhone which would tell me MPH I was travelling. Interesting enough, the GPS, phone and my speedometer were all reading the exact same speed at 35, 60, and 75mph. I wish I would have done the same test with the stock tires, I guess the speedo was reading faster than what I was actually travelling.
2) They are pretty quiet for how aggressive they are. They are slightly louder than the Firestone Destination AT's that I replaced, but nothing that you would really notice.
3) Once installed, the tires barely rubbed against the front mudguards. It was slight, but regardless, they still rubbed. So I took them off. No more rubbing.
4) For the past 100 miles, I have actually not seen an impact in MPGs. I will continue to monitor what, if any, changes there are to the gas mileage. Now that the speedo is reading correctly, that will impact the readings.
5) I really like the way they ride. The ride is firmer, but in a good way.

So far, I would highly recommend these tires in this size. They fit the rims, and truck, excellent.

Here are a few pics:

See less See more
Reactions: SERVO
#2 ·
you're going to love those once the snow starts falling. they're an outstanding snow tire.. and all-around for that matter.

you can modify your mud guards so they don't rub. pretty easy to do. here's what i did with mine.. leave the part that screws to the fender and "gut" the rest so to speak. it'll look normal from the outside, but it won't rub on the tires. and it'll still protect the side of the truck the same as it used to.

#3 ·
I switched from Destinations to the Duratracs too, love them. Matter of fact, I was in Montana this past week, my buddy has a 3/4 ton GMC with a camper on the top, he was running Goodyear SR-A's (imagine my surprise when I found out he was running same OEM tires, but e rated as the Titan on a 3/4 ton). Anyhow, about 1/4 mile from camp he literally pops a rear tire, just made it to camp, we change out the tire and it blew out through the thickest part of the tread, just as if somebody had stuck a knife in the road and he ran over it. Over the week at camp we ran around in my truck, he commented multiple times about how smooth the truck ran and how quiet the tires were considering the aggresive tread. We left camp and he texts me about an hour later, as we were headed home in different directions. He was at a tire Shop swapping his SR-A's for 5 new Duratracs.

#4 ·
When I first put mine on I had slight rubbing on the fender liner.

I drove 1200 or so miles to Gailtinburg for a meet and after that I didn't have an issue with rubbing. 285/60 R20 on aftermarket 20X10

I finally got to shake them out in real snow last winter. To be honest I didn't need to use my 4wd other than just to engage it and use it while it was snowing. The tires would have done just fine in 2wd.

I tow with them regularly and have no issues so far. It's a great tire all around. I bought mine from Goodyear locally after I explained that they should be able to beat the online pricing locally and I'd be happy to give them my business. The guy at the counter asked "what do you plan to do with these things, it's an aggressive tire. Are you a contractor or something?" I simply said "my truck takes me everywhere, I've simply extended it's operational reach". :nerd:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.