Nissan Titan Forum banner

caliper sticking

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Phatdonkey 
#1 ·
I have a 05 titan and since day one I've heard a slight noise from the front right wheel upon driving it for the first time each day, kinda like something was releasing once the wheel starts rotating. I've done a few brake jobs on the front since I've owned it. Now I hear the same noise from the front right tire but its way noisier, defiantly sounds like the caliper is sticking and when it releases its smacking the rotor. Now it constantly makes that noise when coming to a stop. replaced the caliper slide pins and nothing has changed. The driver side went toghether smoothly but the passanger side lower slide pin is very difficult to move. This was the case upon the last brake job so I figured I'd replace the slide pins and the passanger lower right pin is still difficult to move in and out.
So I guess my question is the lower slide pin the one with the rubber boot on the inside ?and I'm using hi temp disc brake grease (paste like) to lube everything up, is that the right stuff? The dealer did the brake recall at 1750 miles but that noise was still present after that. Any suggestions to free up that lower pin would be helpful. thx

#3 · (Edited)
The caliper being stuck could very well be the noise I'm hearing but I believe part of the issue is in the passenger side lower slide pin, its the only one that seems to bind when i cycle it by hand, prior to setting the caliper up.

Does anyone know if the lower caliper slide pin has the rubber sleeve on it?

I've also noticed the the top side of the brake pads are more worn down then the lower side of the pad and the driver side is wearing evenly thru out...

#4 ·
This is an old post, but I too had a seized lower guide pin on the passenger side. Yes the bottom pin has a rubber boot on it..

I was able to work it out by twisting it with a pair of vise grips and working it back and forth while pulling it out. It was pretty cruddy looking, but didn't have a vehicle to go get new guide pins. I wiped it as best I could with brake clean and a shop towel, then I used 0000 steel wool to smooth it out. I lubed it back up and it was able to move around in the hole again nice and smooth.

I didn't notice it was sticking until I was investigating a wheel bearing noise to see which side it was. I was shooting my hubs with an IR thermometer and realized the pass side was warmer by about 10 degrees. When I removed the brake pad bracket is when I realized it. I also noticed the pad was worn crooked. My problem now is that after I have freed the seized pin, that wheel is now running 45 to 50 degrees hotter than the other side.

I was able to push the piston back into the bracket with a c clamp and an old pad I had laying around, so its not seized, but sticking. What else is there to check with a caliper? I got new pins as well and will be installing them this weekend when I do the bearing replacement. Just wondering how serviceable our calipers are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.