Nissan Titan Forum banner

2011 Brake Issues Delta Sensor Code C1179

16K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  mc7047008 
#1 ·
2011 S Model 2 WD

Red brake light is illuminated on dash. I hit the brakes and the ABS fires and the pressure on the pedal changes dramatically all by itself. This causes jerking to happen while stopping. Almost like someone is pumping the brakes with different pressure everytime.

I just ran my truck up to my mechanic for a quick scan and his Snap On tool spits out a C1179 code, Delta Sensor. I thought these delta sensor issues were resolved? We did a quick inspection at the wiring and it looks good. Looks like the sensor can be replaced. Looks like all I would have to do is turn closkwise and it would free itself up. I drove the truck home to complete some research. Hopefully this is a DIY project.

Has anyone had this issue on a newer Titan (>2008)? I scanned the forum and nothing for a newer model listed.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

#5 ·
I am thinking about removing the old delta sensor while the brake booster is intact and installed and replacing it with the new sensor in the reman'd unit. I will remove the nonfunctioning one first and inspect to see if its possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Update- the sensor can not be replaced without replacing the booster. The sensor is installed from the inside out... Booster swapped and I was able to keep the brake lines intact. No need to bleed the system! Brake light is now off. Reman booster from Oreillys did the job for $160. Took me less than 2 hours.

#9 ·
there is another lawsuit about Nissan brake failures 2004-2008 connected to the Banks vs Nissan and now u can file more claims if u
suffered harm from brake failure in accident from nissan defected brake boosters, the law firm is Carter-Wolden-Curtiss, LLP how long can Nissan dodge a massive recall ?

#10 ·
I'm just now learning of the cause of this issue. I have a 04 and have been having this problem for a few years now. (Only drive a few miles back and forth to work) I want to get this taken care of, what/how do I go about fixing this? Is it an simple fix? Do I have to go to the dealership?

#11 ·
Plenty of research already completed and available on this forum. My recommendation is to replace the brake booster with a reman unit. It can be done in your driveway in less than 2 hours. If you're careful no need to bleed brakes either. Good luck

#12 ·
I have a 2008 Titan LE and I have the same brake judder issue. I have spoke to my dealer and they tell me there is no issue with the Delta Sensors in Canada.... my thought is that is because Titans are not made in Canada the 1N on the first vin code means built in the USA.

The issue is every once in a while when applying the brakes the pedal fluctuates, sometime going to the floor, there is a grinding noise appears to come from the front but my guess is that it is from the engine compartment, the parking brake light comes on immediately when this happens, finally grinding to a stop.

As soon as you turn off the engine something resets (maybe the computer) and you start driving everything seems normal. Then a few months later it all happens again. Dealers don't want to discuss the issue and say you tell me what part you want me to replace and I will but you will pay.

#15 ·
2006 Nissan Titan - 4x4 LE Crew Cab - well loved 361,000kms - BC Canada.

I have done a bunch of research on this issue, where it typically happens just as I start moving with the truck. Pull out of driveway and then I see the ebrake light come on the dash and then when I apply the brakes, it makes the awful pulsating ABS sound and then when you release it sounds like a spring releasing.

All of the research I have read is:
Replace the Brake Booster.
or
Reflash or Reprogram the ABS Module
or
New ABS Computer Unit

I have done the brake booster. And I am STILL have the same PROBLEM.

I took it to my Local Nissan Stealership. Told them exactly what was going on. Told them the codes etc.

They verified that those were the same codes they pulled.
They checked some electrical connections and cleaned them up.
And gave me the $182 bill.

Pulled off the lot.... SAME THING.

And to be clear, my ABS or SLIP light does NOT come on. Just the EBrake light.

Need some help on this one. Anyone else have this issue and have the fix?

So I did some more research... and this is what I found.

Alright everyone who has been having this problem that is claimed "irresolvable", here is the fix.

Symptoms:
-"Brake" light on dashboard is on (parking brake light) even when parking brake is not engaged
-Car's front end feels like it's going to fall off when stopping
-ABS Engages when you press the brake pedal lightly
-C1179 Delta Stroke Sensor Code

Story behind:
So for any of you who are veterans on the forums, you might remember an old thread with a C1179 Delta Stroke sensor problem with a batch of Armada's. Even the most experienced of us couldn't fix it. We tried brake boosters, ABS Sensors, but no luck.

Well, I HAD this problem on my 2008 Armada and at first I tried clearing it, worked for 20 or so miles. Then I looked up what a Delta Stroke sensor is and it is a sensor on the booster which essentially tells the system if there is a sealed vacuum for the brake, at least that's what it's supposed to do. If there is an "open" or problem with the brakes in the car the Delta Stroke sensor puts the car into a type of safe mode to put increased pressure on the pedal to help the car stop better if there is a problem.

That is why many of you feel the ABS kick in on say 25% brake force.

I replaced the brake booster with one from an older 2006 Armada from the Junk Yard. That didn't work so I assumed that brake booster was also bad since this problem usually pops up at around 100k miles. So I tried another one from the junk yard, that didn't work. The previous two boosters weren't for the same year Armada so I bought another one from Ebay from the same year Armada, that only worked for 40 miles. And finally I tried a rebuilt one from O'Reilly's and that didn't work either.

So, it definitely wasn't the booster, so I searched the forums and NOBODY had a fix for it. Now I've heard of resetting or reflashing the ABS module but on 2008 you cannot reflash or update the module on that particular model. So, I sent it to the Nissan StealerShip, to Diagnose the car and they said to try the brake booster or speed sensors. At this point I couldn't even sell the car because it has the brake issue. So I tried one more time and replaced the WHOLE ABS MODULE and ABS SYSTEM (where the ABS Motor is in front of the booster), and thank god it finally worked.

The FIX:
For Armada's from 2005-2008 (which are the only ones that are known to have this issue)
Either:
-Replace Brake booster (didn't work for me)
-Reflash ABS Module (My model year wasn't compatible, so that didn't work)
-Replace ABS System (WORKED FOR ME)

I have seen many Armadas on these forums where nobody could figure it out but for anyone that still has this problem, try to replace the ABS Control Unit. The problem is not the ABS Motor in the ABS Control Unit (because the ABS still works) but it is the actual computer inside of it.

Hopefully I helped at least one person with this, and please reply with any other fixes and/or solutions

#18 ·
Now that it has cooled off a bit here in BC, my braking issue has been happening less, but in the hot afternoon weather, it happens.... has anything figured out the sure fix on this issue? I have explained the issues to the Nissan Dealerships in my area, and no one wants to take a look, because I have told them, that I would pay for results, not opinions.

CAN ANYONE HELP???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.