2017 Nissan Titan SV Engine failure !!!!! - Page 4 - Nissan Titan Forum
2016 Titan General Forum General discussion forum for the new 2016 Nissan Titan.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 123 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan686 View Post
Update...... Good news truck is done!!!! I was there today around noon heard it running in the bay sounds very good and no tick !!! Told service manager to take it home and put miles on it before I get it back so hopefully no little issues. I will hopefully get it by Friday at the latest. When I pick it up I will ask when the exploring of the old short to find the noise will roughly happen time wise. I will report back one more time with the findings thxs
Caught up and read through it all. What an ordeal :[

2017 Titan Platinum Reserve - 4x4 - Java Metallic
Mods:
Front license plate delete - color match plugs added
Ceramic Tint - 5% Rears, 35% Front Windows, 50% Windshield
LED white upgrades to fog lights, interior map lights, reverse lights.

1995 Nissan 300ZX - Black - 2+0 - NA
Ceramic Tint - 5% Rear, 20% Front Windows, 50% Windshield
LED white upgrade to low beams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Nissan Titan SV Engine failure !!!!!

Update.... Very sorry for no update for the cause of the noise in the old short block. I've been very busy then on holidays. I called dealership this last thursday that just passed and was told tech was very busy and hopefully get some time soon to find cause of noise. My truck has been excellent and noise free since I have got it back (1900 km holidays) As soon as I get time I'll stop in at dealership hopefully late this week. I will post findings once I know ...I wont forget lol !!
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan686 For This Useful Post:
Titan332009 (07-11-2018)
post #48 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 09:37 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)

Great to hear all is well once again but find it VERY odd nobody tore down the old engine to discover the cause. I’d think Nissan would want the block packed and shipped back for the engineers to go over it.

Clint

1991 Mazda Miata Limited Edition
2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Yellow Jacket
2014 Nissan Sentra SR
2016 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition
2018 Nissan Titan SV Crew Cab 4X4
2018 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
post #49 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

Clint you are correct Nissan Canada does want the engine back. It is my understanding that the dealership is going to take the engine apart just because myself the local service manger and the tech that did the work want to know the cause. Instruction from Nissan Canada tech department were to change short block based on the info reported. The dealership at any auto car maker is just allowed to do what it is being told to them from warranty dept I assume because they are not paying for the warranty work the auto maker is. I do know my dealership was charged a core charge for this short block. I do agree that it should have been taken apart first because if Nissan Canada tech was wrong in ordering the short block to be changed just based on info reported. In my case the Tech dept was correct. I am very confident my truck is not the only out there with this issue and the Tech dept has seen issue before and made decision based on knowledge ..... ( I hope lol)
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan686 For This Useful Post:
Titan332009 (07-11-2018)
post #50 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 12:16 PM
Premium User

Quoted: 281 Post(s)

I’d think Nissan corporate wants to tear it down themselves. Imagine if they didn’t refund the core charge.

Clint

1991 Mazda Miata Limited Edition
2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Yellow Jacket
2014 Nissan Sentra SR
2016 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition
2018 Nissan Titan SV Crew Cab 4X4
2018 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
post #51 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Nissan Canada doesn't give a rats *** about the customer and is just wanting the engine back to CYA! If there is no evidence then there can be no recall!
Yes a lot bitter about Nissan and there tactics!
post #52 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 07:26 AM
Premium User

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Manufacturers almost always want engines & transmissions back when they fail, especially on a newer product. That motor is going to get packed in a crate & sent back to the motor factory for a detailed inspection.

08 Pro-4x moonroof,Tow,DVD,SWB,Banks Monster Exahust, Total Chaos UCA's,Tuff Country 1.5" leveling kit,1" rear blocks, PWM, Radiator ByPass Mod,Bilstein 5100's,Limo Tint,285/65R18 Cooper ATP,Black 18x9 5.71", +18mm, Rims,

2016 XD Pro4X Gasser
The Following User Says Thank You to AZPRO4X For This Useful Post:
Titan332009 (07-11-2018)
post #53 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Doneuald I notice you are from Thunder Bay ....just curious was your truck one of the 2 that was at dealership there with engine problem? If so is your repaired now and what was the failure? I know there was 2 down for a fair amount of time waiting engine repairs
post #54 of 123 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
As title states truck has 13600 km on it. I started to notice a slight tick on driver side of the truck so I brought it back to dealer. This truck has only been service since new at the dealer. The dealer tried the clutch fan reprogram it did nothing so I returned few days later and expressed that I believed it to be a internal engine issue or lack of lube/oil issue. I am a 20 year transmission tech so I'm decent with automotive noises. The dealer got there lead tech to checked it over and confirmed it to be a internal engine issue. He believes it to be a wrist pin on cylinder 5 or 7. The dealer is presently trying to get Nissan Canada to send a complete long block but so far Nissan Canada just wanted to send a short block . So I assume dealer will continue to fight on my behalf. The long block is on backorder of coarse. Dealer as been awesome with me so far in this very Shi**y situation hopefully it get resolved sooner than later !!! Apparently there is also few more truck in Ontario sitting at dealership with engine failures waiting on engines. Nissan Canada so I'm told has identified the issue but at this point I'm not sure if they have a solution. I assume it is a certain batch of engines but can't confirm that. Tomorrow will be 1 week without my truck dealership rented me a truck but it's a Dodge !!!! Anybody else have info on this topic ??? If so please let me know thxs
Having the same issue. Engine clacking started around 25-30k... I'm at 70k now. They said it's a piston rubbing issue (THAT'S COMMON!!). After reading this thread I'm pushing for a long block engine as well.
post #55 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Yes, I noticed an engine noise a few weeks ago (feb 2019) on my 2017 titan 5.6 motor. I only have 15000 km on this truck. I took it to the dealer and indicated that I thought there is a serious problem in the lower end. Today Apr 11/2019 they confirmed there was a serious defect in the number 7 cylinder and that it needed repairs. I was told by the dealer that it needed a short block. I am not happy with this solution. The dealer tells me that Nissan Canada is only authorizing a short block fix. I asked the dealer what other option might me available but told me there was none. I was looking for a buy back, long block and a warranty reset. I am about to raise my case with Nissan Canada but have little faith.
post #56 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:40 AM
PRJ

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Welcome to the club. This is now becoming a wide spread issue just like the front and rear axles on the first generation Titan.

Knock, Knock, Knock...

Once again Nissan effed up something that could be good. The First Gen Titan engine had zero issues, it's just that all the parts around the engine were inferior.
post #57 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Doneuald I notice you are from Thunder Bay ....just curious was your truck one of the 2 that was at dealership there with engine problem? If so is your repaired now and what was the failure? I know there was 2 down for a fair amount of time waiting engine repairs
sorry 686, i was just looking through the site and found that I hadn't seen your post from last July, no my truck at the time of the posting was a 2015 titan pro4x and it went through rear differentials (6 to be exact), when they put the 6th one in in Sept of last year we cut our losses and traded it off. We got a 2018 titan SL midnight on Oct 1st of last year and the engine was changed in Mar of this year due to piston slap on #7 cylinder.
my opinion and it's my opinion only, Nissan thinks that ALL customers are of the kind that if it doesn't start they take it to the dealer for a tech to change parts!
They place NO value on the customer who for various reasons DO have experience with vehicles and expect a level of quality that comes with buying a new vehicle.
When I took the midnight in for it's first oil change and asked to check out the knock i explained it to the service guy how to hear it, I was told it was the fuel pump and they did an update on the computer and they could not replicate the knock.
I replicated the knock the next week getting breakfast at the MacDonald's drivethru! - very complicated this listening for the noise!
after it got bad enough to hear it standing beside the truck I took it back and again was told it was the fuel pump, I asked " how come it's tied to engine RPM then?"
I was told "Bring it in and we will look at it again!"
if you are NOT a Nissan tech you know nothing and am humoured, I know more than my service writer , I know this for sure.
I hope Nissan fixes this problem soon.
post #58 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage

As an owner of a "knocking" Titan and having read through all the posts in this thread it shows that Nissan Canada doesn't have a clue what it's doing. Some owners have received long block engines while others have received short block engines.

Me, I'm waiting to hear from my service manager (once he hears from Nissan Canada) what action is to be taken in my case - its been 5 weeks now

2017 Titan Crew Cab SV 4 x 4
Premium Package, Dual exhaust system with Magnaflow muffler and Magnaflow SS tips (18" x 4"), Goodyear Wrangler Adventure A/T tires (P265/70R 18); Fuel Offroad Lethal wheels (18" x 9"), Undercover Flex tonneau cover, Putco 48" LED Tailgate light bar, AVS Bugflector
post #59 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Anyone know which one 7 is if you looking at it from the front of the truck?

Don’t quote me on any of this as I do t know the exact specifics. BUT, I did read as I was studying in which truck to buy that early direct injection Ford designs tended to gum up the valve directly below some sort of oil return line or something like that. Some guys started putting the oil catch can on to prevent it. It wasn’t a problem till pretty high miles though. Wonder if this cylinder is located in a similar way.

2017 SV 4x4

2.5" Front, 1.5" Rear lift
SPC UCA's
20x9 +12 Black Rhino Chase
305/55r20 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's
post #60 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:41 AM

I would hazard a guess that the odd cylinders are on the driver side and the evens are on the passenger side

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Jump to top