2017 Nissan Titan SV Engine failure !!!!! - Page 5 - Nissan Titan Forum
2016 Titan General Forum General discussion forum for the new 2016 Nissan Titan.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I believe 7 is the rear driver's

'07 Titan XE CC, Home made axle wrap eliminators, Frontier tranny mount, JBA headers, Cajun catted b's, JBA 40-1400, 3" Vibrant UQ. Uprev tuned by Seymore 4.
'17 Maxima SV, '03 350Z touring.
Say no to cheap beer!...And chrome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Re: 2017 Nissan Titan SV Engine failure !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRJ View Post
Welcome to the club. This is now becoming a wide spread issue just like the front and rear axles on the first generation Titan.

Knock, Knock, Knock...

Once again Nissan effed up something that could be good. The First Gen Titan engine had zero issues, it's just that all the parts around the engine were inferior.
PRJ, What dealer are you taking it to?

post #63 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:10 AM
PRJ

Quoted: 280 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew1 View Post
PRJ, What dealer are you taking it to?
Kocourek in Wausau. Will probably be next week sometime. I'm getting close to oil change mileage.
post #64 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Kocourek in Wausau. Will probably be next week sometime. I'm getting close to oil change mileage.
Oh up there Good luck to you.

post #65 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage

I just received a call from Nissan Canada and they apologized for the fact that my engine is knocking and as a gesture of goodwill, they will be sending to the dealership a new "short block" engine to replace mine as well as $250 credit to use at the dealership.

They continued saying that this will fix my knocking forever.

Did I want a short block - not really. What I wanted was a long block (less components to attach compared to a short block)

If they've ordered you a new engine - all likely hood you will also receive a short block engine

2017 Titan Crew Cab SV 4 x 4
Premium Package, Dual exhaust system with Magnaflow muffler and Magnaflow SS tips (18" x 4"), Goodyear Wrangler Adventure A/T tires (P265/70R 18); Fuel Offroad Lethal wheels (18" x 9"), Undercover Flex tonneau cover, Putco 48" LED Tailgate light bar, AVS Bugflector
post #66 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Oh crap !!!! very very sorry for not updating the cause of the engine knock. I just seen the notification of forum topic activity in my email I totally forgot about this. I was told by my service manager Cyl # 7 was out of round and the cause for the knock. I know since my truck was repaired at my dealership there has been 2 more with engine failure one being 2018. They both got long blocks is my understanding and the long block part # is updated (so hopefully this mean permanent repair). I don't know reason behind some people getting short block vs some getting long block. My short block repair in my truck is still going strong with no issues or noises with about 30000km on truck now. Once again very sorry for not updating earlier life got very busy and the topic completely slipped my mind. Getting old I guess lol !!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan686 For This Useful Post:
Titan332009 (04-16-2019)
post #67 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan686 View Post
Oh crap !!!! very very sorry for not updating the cause of the engine knock. I just seen the notification of forum topic activity in my email I totally forgot about this. I was told by my service manager Cyl # 7 was out of round and the cause for the knock. I know since my truck was repaired at my dealership there has been 2 more with engine failure one being 2018. They both got long blocks is my understanding and the long block part # is updated (so hopefully this mean permanent repair). I don't know reason behind some people getting short block vs some getting long block. My short block repair in my truck is still going strong with no issues or noises with about 30000km on truck now. Once again very sorry for not updating earlier life got very busy and the topic completely slipped my mind. Getting old I guess lol !!!
Thanks for the update. Any chance you have the new part number?
post #68 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan686 View Post
Just curious if you had more power after the swap? Seems like this issue would’ve caused significant drag even before the knock.

2017 SV 4x4

2.5" Front, 1.5" Rear lift
SPC UCA's
20x9 +12 Black Rhino Chase
305/55r20 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's
post #69 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Flawlez no sorry I don't the updated part #. I'll try to get from service manager next time I'm at dealership. Frankhenrylee I did not have any performance issue , no dtc light . The truck drove fine, I did notice the noise very early in the problem thou, maybe some others who waited or noticed the noise/knock with more miles on the clock may chime in or have different opinion.
post #70 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Question Re: 2017 Nissan Titan SV Engine failure !!!!!

Hi, I was wondering how many people have the titan engine problem. The knocking that results in Nissan's short block so called solution. If we had numbers maybe the problem could be posted to the Automobile Protection Association. I am finding Nissan are not giving any goodwill offers to their customers. For example a factory long block versus a questionable short block, or a free extended warranty on their work. These may help ease the pain. Just wondering.
post #71 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:49 AM
PRJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkera5713 View Post
Hi, I was wondering how many people have the titan engine problem.
This is the unknown. Not everyone that owns a 2nd generation Nissan Titan posts on this forum so the problem is more widespread than what you see here.
post #72 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
While I normally avoid reading some posts based on the member posting it, I have to say, statistics doesn't work in such a way as to make a problem reported on the internet "more widespread" just because some people don't read/post on this forum. Certainly, there are more events than accounted for here. But what is generally accounted for on internet forums (and other voluntary reporting mechanisms of various types) is an oversampling of problems, since few people will log in and start a thread stating how they don't have failure XYZ.

Statistically speaking, there is a near certainty that the percent of failures in the new motor is markedly below the percent reported on internet forums, just as the overall Gen1 differential failure rate is well below the internet forum reported rate.

I won't get into the argument, and I feel for you guys with problem motors. But statistically speaking, it is almost certainly less widespread than reported here.
The Following User Says Thank You to dubyam For This Useful Post:
Titan332009 (04-16-2019)
post #73 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:33 AM
PRJ

People who post here are generally car/truck enthusiasts. The number of Titan owners posting here is well below the numbers of Titans sold. Nissan sold 50,000 Titans in 2018 and there are maybe 100 MY 2017-2019 posters here on this forum.

If all 50,000 of those Titans sold in 2018 have the same exact motor the engine knocking problem is way more widespread than what is being reported here. Easilly.

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales.../nissan-titan/
post #74 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
People who post here are generally car/truck enthusiasts. The number of Titan owners posting here is well below the numbers of Titans sold. Nissan sold 50,000 Titans in 2018 and there are maybe 100 MY 2017-2019 posters here on this forum.

If all 50,000 of those Titans sold in 2018 have the same exact motor the engine knocking problem is way more widespread than what is being reported here. Easilly.

Nissan Titan US car sales figures
I have heard that 1,750 Titan trucks are affected with this engine knock. Based on 50,000 annual sales, that's roughly 3.5%

2017 Titan Crew Cab SV 4 x 4
Premium Package, Dual exhaust system with Magnaflow muffler and Magnaflow SS tips (18" x 4"), Goodyear Wrangler Adventure A/T tires (P265/70R 18); Fuel Offroad Lethal wheels (18" x 9"), Undercover Flex tonneau cover, Putco 48" LED Tailgate light bar, AVS Bugflector
post #75 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter View Post
Quote:

Nissan Titan US car sales figures
I have heard that 1,750 Titan trucks are affected with this engine knock. Based on 50,000 annual sales, that's roughly 3.5%
If the 1750 number could be validated, that's remarkable, and doesn't bode well for Nissan financially. I'd be curious where you heard that, and how far removed from a direct, credible source who would be in a position to know, that information can be traced. I don't have a dog in this, as my 2011 is absolutely unaffected, but my curiosity about the statistics and data (I'm a data geek) draw me to these discussions.

As for the other poster's statistical claim that because 100 people post here, the problem extrapolates out to 50k trucks sold as "widespread," I'll just say you have no idea how statistics or sampling error occurs. I tried to explain it above, but I know you either can't or won't read and understand it. I'm okay with that. That's why I only see your posts through others quoting them. Your opinion restated with irrelevant facts doesn't make it any more valid.
The Following User Says Thank You to dubyam For This Useful Post:
Titan332009 (04-16-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Jump to top