2017 Nissan Titan SV Engine failure !!!!! - Nissan Titan Forum
2016 Titan General Forum General discussion forum for the new 2016 Nissan Titan.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2017 Nissan Titan SV Engine failure !!!!!

As title states truck has 13600 km on it. I started to notice a slight tick on driver side of the truck so I brought it back to dealer. This truck has only been service since new at the dealer. The dealer tried the clutch fan reprogram it did nothing so I returned few days later and expressed that I believed it to be a internal engine issue or lack of lube/oil issue. I am a 20 year transmission tech so I'm decent with automotive noises. The dealer got there lead tech to checked it over and confirmed it to be a internal engine issue. He believes it to be a wrist pin on cylinder 5 or 7. The dealer is presently trying to get Nissan Canada to send a complete long block but so far Nissan Canada just wanted to send a short block . So I assume dealer will continue to fight on my behalf. The long block is on backorder of coarse. Dealer as been awesome with me so far in this very Shi**y situation hopefully it get resolved sooner than later !!! Apparently there is also few more truck in Ontario sitting at dealership with engine failures waiting on engines. Nissan Canada so I'm told has identified the issue but at this point I'm not sure if they have a solution. I assume it is a certain batch of engines but can't confirm that. Tomorrow will be 1 week without my truck dealership rented me a truck but it's a Dodge !!!! Anybody else have info on this topic ??? If so please let me know thxs
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan686 For This Useful Post:
Titan332009 (05-15-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 12:29 PM

Re: 2017 Nissan Titan SV Engine failure !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan686 View Post
As title states truck has 13600 km on it. I started to notice a slight tick on driver side of the truck so I brought it back to dealer. This truck has only been service since new at the dealer. The dealer tried the clutch fan reprogram it did nothing so I returned few days later and expressed that I believed it to be a internal engine issue or lack of lube/oil issue. I am a 20 year transmission tech so I'm decent with automotive noises. The dealer got there lead tech to checked it over and confirmed it to be a internal engine issue. He believes it to be a wrist pin on cylinder 5 or 7. The dealer is presently trying to get Nissan Canada to send a complete long block but so far Nissan Canada just wanted to send a short block . So I assume dealer will continue to fight on my behalf. The long block is on backorder of coarse. Dealer as been awesome with me so far in this very Shi**y situation hopefully it get resolved sooner than later !!! Apparently there is also few more truck in Ontario sitting at dealership with engine failures waiting on engines. Nissan Canada so I'm told has identified the issue but at this point I'm not sure if they have a solution. I assume it is a certain batch of engines but can't confirm that. Tomorrow will be 1 week without my truck dealership rented me a truck but it's a Dodge !!!! Anybody else have info on this topic ??? If so please let me know thxs
I have approximately 28000 km on mine and I only have a slight tick when warming up. With the truck being so new, it is very annoying. I violated my own rule and bought a first model year with this truck. Though I haven't had any real problems yet, I feel that I might pay for my hastiness, not monetarily of course because of my extended bumper to bumper warranty, but with time.
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Update...... Nissan Canada decision today was a short block not the long block. Nissan Canada idea is send short block get the tech at my local dealership to remove engine then inspect cylinder heads and hopefully everything is good. If cylinder heads are not good my dealership will report findings to Nissan Canada then they send a long block. Dealership or myself does not want to go the short block route because this engine has a oil/lube issue and the chance of other issue after the short block repair is done is decide to high that other issue may present themselves later in the trucks life span. Not to mention I don't want a brand new truck with every bolt in the engine touched regardless of how excellent the tech working on it is. I spoke with Nissan Canada today 2 times in heated conversion in regards to this matter hopefully in the end they will do the right thing and send a long block the first time. If they don't the dealership is telling me with the short block on back order hopefully I have my truck back mid June. So to recap for being a pro active customer and getting the truck in early as soon as the sound was heard Nissan Canada is jerking me around. I guess I should have drove it until major internal damage occured then only option would have been the long block thxs !!! Nissan Canada. Very Frustrating!!!!!
post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

You should've gone out and horsed it a while in an attempt to make it worse.
I'd be real interested to know what it is. I'll bet it's in the head and is not from a lack of oil.

'07 Titan XE CC, Home made axle wrap eliminators, Frontier tranny mount, JBA headers, Cajun catted b's, JBA 40-1400, 3" Vibrant UQ. Uprev tuned by Seymore 4.
'17 Maxima SV, '03 350Z touring.
Say no to cheap beer!...And chrome!
The Following User Says Thank You to LUBECAKES For This Useful Post:
nightowl (05-24-2018)
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

I'm interested as well. The noise doesn't really sound like a topend noise. I had it up on the hoist at work just to listen before I brought it back to dealer. Noise was definitely more in the left side of the block area towards the rear either way very interested. What makes you think its in the cylinder head? Just curious ? Thxs
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan686 View Post
I'm interested as well. The noise doesn't really sound like a topend noise. I had it up on the hoist at work just to listen before I brought it back to dealer. Noise was definitely more in the left side of the block area towards the rear either way very interested. What makes you think its in the cylinder head? Just curious ? Thxs
I just find it hard to believe it could be a wrist pin, or even piston slap for that matter. Not that it couldn't be, but there's far more moving parts up top.

'07 Titan XE CC, Home made axle wrap eliminators, Frontier tranny mount, JBA headers, Cajun catted b's, JBA 40-1400, 3" Vibrant UQ. Uprev tuned by Seymore 4.
'17 Maxima SV, '03 350Z touring.
Say no to cheap beer!...And chrome!
The Following User Says Thank You to LUBECAKES For This Useful Post:
Titan332009 (05-16-2018)
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Wow. Following for updates, but hopefully they make it right and replace the long block.

These things do happen from time to time, unfortunately.

Hopefully not to me...
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 08:02 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Post Re: 2017 Nissan Titan SV Engine failure !!!!!

I hear and understand your frustration but look forward to hearing it’s all fixed and that you’re happy with the repair.

Clint

1991 Mazda Miata Limited Edition
2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Yellow Jacket
2014 Nissan Sentra SR
2016 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition
2018 Nissan Titan SV Crew Cab 4X4
2018 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Update ..... The short block vs long block sh*t show continues but my local service manager and the district manager are apparently going to try to talk with higher up's about long block . At present all parts and short block are ordered
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)

The short vs long block is new to me in Nissan. Are they both 5.6L? If so, what are the negatives of a short block?

2017 CC SV 4x4 with 1.5" rear blocks and AFE stainless cat-back ... that's it.
post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpeeb View Post
The short vs long block is new to me in Nissan. Are they both 5.6L? If so, what are the negatives of a short block?
When he says short block he means that they are basically sending him a small piece of the motor that they would be putting his old parts in versus a long block where it is most of the engine from the factory already assembled with new parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to DougG For This Useful Post:
Titan332009 (05-18-2018)
post #12 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougG View Post
When he says short block he means that they are basically sending him a small piece of the motor that they would be putting his old parts in versus a long block where it is most of the engine from the factory already assembled with new parts.
Ooooohhh 10-4, thanks.

2017 CC SV 4x4 with 1.5" rear blocks and AFE stainless cat-back ... that's it.
post #13 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)

A short block is the engine block and rotating assembly, which includes pistons, rods, and crank. A long block adds heads and valvetrain. Unless there's an issue with the heads, there's no reason to do a long block, since the entirety of the valvetrain is above the valves, and would not be subject to issues from a problem rod or wrist pin or such. Of course, all that changes if there are metal shavings/bits in the oil or scoring on the cam lobes or valve stems or such, but that would be readily evident at teardown and should instigate sending new heads along in short order.

I'm still somewhat curious as to the diagnosis from outside the motor of a wrist pin failure. I've been around motors all my life with drag racers and circle trackers, and that's the first I've heard of someone being able to listen to an engine in a vehicle, and tell me it's a wrist pin failure. Maybe I'm about to learn something, but that sort of internal diagnosis sight-unseen, with the motor still in the vehicle, is off the map for me.

I'll be curious to see what the failure point is in this motor. I'm kind of in the camp with Lubecakes. There are a lot more moving parts to potentially fail in the top end of the motor. It will be interesting to find out what really happened.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dubyam For This Useful Post:
HMX Dave (05-20-2018), nightowl (05-24-2018), Titan332009 (05-18-2018)
post #14 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Yes I agree ..... I was also told that the lead tech at my local dealership just returned from a Nissan tech training seminar and this topic of the new 5.6 with this "ticking" in the # 5 or 7 cylinder area was part of his training and very decent chance of it being a wrist pin. I do agree dubyam and lubecakes . I do live in a smaller city ( 70000) I'm in the automotive field myself for the last 25 years. This local Nissan lead tech is known as a very excellent tech so at this point I have no reason to not believe him . Once the engine gets opened up I will definitely post the findings. Hopefully by the end of the month. I was told once the short block is here they will start to remove the engine. Thxs guys for your input ....hopefully have so info sooner than later ....Just to clarify the lead tech returned a few days before I dropped the truck off.... sorry guys trying to post info accurately as possible lots floating around in my head so please bare with me lol !!

Last edited by Titan686; 05-21-2018 at 03:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan686 For This Useful Post:
Titan332009 (05-18-2018)
post #15 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage

Sucks... Keep us updated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Jump to top