What was your reasoning for going either SV, SL or Platinum? - Nissan Titan Forum
2016 Titan General Forum General discussion forum for the new 2016 Nissan Titan.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
What was your reasoning for going either SV, SL or Platinum?

I debated about sticking with the SV because of the cloth seats.
The Platinum with cooling seats catches my eye.

The SL may be stuck in the middle. I don't believe there is too much more with the SL than SV, but there is a lot more between the SV and Platinum.

Was it a specific feature? Did cost come into play?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTruckGuy22 View Post
I debated about sticking with the SV because of the cloth seats.
The Platinum with cooling seats catches my eye.

The SL may be stuck in the middle. I don't believe there is too much more with the SL than SV, but there is a lot more between the SV and Platinum.

Was it a specific feature? Did cost come into play?
2017 Platinum Reserve (PR) for me. Decided between the Pro 4x and the PR as those two had features I wanted most. Ultimately the price for Platinum was easily worth it.

-I loved the two tone leather.
-Biggest feature the 360 around view monitor. A friend had this on his Audi and it works the exact same on this. It's really an awesome feature I use often.
-Loved the automatic mirror fold and automatic mirror tilt down in reverse.
-7" display on either the pro 4x or PR. 5" would have really annoyed me personally. (IMO they need to make the display bigger and across all models. My wife's 8" touchscreen on her lower ended Ford Explorer is much nicer)
-Moving Object Detection
-Heated Rear Seats
-Rockford Fosgate Sound system. I like the sound system. Plenty of people who don't but I know I won't mod anything inside until after the warranty period so I wanted more than the bare minimum canned speakers.

Some of the above may be optional on the SL or Pro 4x but I know the 360 view wasn't and neither was the rear heated seats. But those features above helped. I test drove the Pro 4x and PR and loved both.

My mentality going in was I wanted the best value at the dealer. Settled on the 2017 PR as it was just loaded up with everything I liked and it was a great deal compared to other branded trucks I compared. The SV and SL models, at least in Nor Cal, weren't reduced so much that I couldn't "refuse". They were only about 9k (SV) and 5k (SL) cheaper for the crew cab models than the PR.

And the cooling seats, as I knew from reviews of other cars and trucks, isn't that good. But don't get me wrong, I use it often anyways as Northern California heat is here and I'll take any bit of cooling options that I can. Still waiting on my tint guy July 11 to save me. I forgot what its like without ceramic tint on the all windows and
the windshield when it's 100+. 😞

2017 Titan Platinum Reserve - 4x4 - Java Metallic
Mods:
Front license plate delete - color match plugs added
Ceramic Tint - 5% Rears, 35% Front Windows, 50% Windshield
LED white upgrades to fog lights, interior map lights, reverse lights.

1995 Nissan 300ZX - Black - 2+0 - NA
Ceramic Tint - 5% Rear, 20% Front Windows, 50% Windshield
LED white upgrade to low beams

Last edited by LeaninBack916; 06-28-2018 at 07:51 PM.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Re: What was your reasoning for going either SV, SL or Platinum?

I chose the '17 SV mainly because of cloth seats. Never have cared for leather, cold in the winter, sweaty in summer, seems like it'd show little scratches easier, eventually dries and cracks ... plus they want ya to pay more for it! Also didn't want two-tone paint, which I seem to remember all the PR's had, or maybe it was just most of em, can't remember. The PR just seemed over-the-top for my tastes. Oh, and I also wanted as much chrome on the front as I could get, because here in FL we get love bugs, and they wash off chrome easier than paint, and they don't damage chrome as quickly as paint ... and I seem to remember SL's had fully painted fronts. I think that's about it ... I got a pretty loaded up SV, and I'm quite happy with it.

2017 CC SV 4x4 with 1.5" rear blocks and AFE stainless cat-back ... that's it.

Last edited by drpeeb; 06-28-2018 at 09:47 PM.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 08:11 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)

My first Titan I bought in 2005 and was a loaded LE (now SL) and enjoyed it much my current Titan, it is an SV with leather, tow, convenience and utility packages so I have all I need. EVERYONE considers cost and don’t believe them telling you otherwise.
My sticker was just north of $48,000 and didn’t want to hear the Mrs and her complaining about my newest unnecessary purchase as my Frontier was not even two years old. I just got the bug in me to go back to a full size truck.
Whatever you do NEVER bury yourself in debt over a vehicle.

Clint

1991 Mazda Miata Limited Edition
2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Yellow Jacket
2014 Nissan Sentra SR
2016 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition
2018 Nissan Titan SV Crew Cab 4X4
2018 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Last edited by Clint; 06-29-2018 at 03:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Clint For This Useful Post:
Titan332009 (07-04-2018)
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Garage

Got the SV with a single cab and the comfort and convenience package. Wanted a single cab since I occasionally need truck capabilities and I have a car for all other times. If there was an SL option for the single cab I would have gotten it. However for 24k out the door they were practically paying me to take the truck I got. I've since added leather seats, LED headlights, a rain sensor, the upgraded Nav-Infotainment, heated seats and a power driver's seat all for less than 5k so I'm still way under even list price for my truck and no where near what the SL would have cost.

I say get what you like. But if you get what you don't, you could still add to it so that it becomes what you like.

2018 Mercedes E400
2017 Nissan Titan SV
2013 BMW X5
2010 Porsche Cayman S
The Following User Says Thank You to Tristan Downey For This Useful Post:
Titan332009 (07-04-2018)
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 01:13 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to TexasBrandon

SL came with everything I wanted that the SV didn't. Leather seats feel better than the cloth ones on my back. It felt like I was riding a brick when I test drove an SV, no thanks. The leather I sink into and with my back the way it is, I need that kind of comfort. Also, most things are standard on the SL that you have to pay for on the SV. Too many little things missing. Did want the platinum but I wasn't paying that much for it since the only thing I really wanted out of it were the cooled seats.

OIF 2005-2006 US Army

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 05:47 PM
Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBrandon View Post
SL came with everything I wanted that the SV didn't. Leather seats feel better than the cloth ones on my back. It felt like I was riding a brick when I test drove an SV, no thanks. The leather I sink into and with my back the way it is, I need that kind of comfort. Also, most things are standard on the SL that you have to pay for on the SV. Too many little things missing. Did want the platinum but I wasn't paying that much for it since the only thing I really wanted out of it were the cooled seats.
I found an SV with leather. Enjoy your truck.

Clint

2014 Nissan Sentra SR
2018 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I bought the SV primarily because of the deal they were giving me on the truck. Add to that, I am not a huge fan of leather and did not have any problems with the seats feeling like a brick. It came with all of the options that I wanted at a price point that I found reasonable.

V/R,
John

2017 Titan SV CC 4X4
The Following User Says Thank You to Prozac For This Useful Post:
Titan332009 (07-04-2018)
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBrandon View Post
Ditto. The only thing I wanted in the PR was the cooled seats and color-matched grill/bumper. That was it. Couldn't justify the extra 6 grand for that. Apparently my bed boxes were an extra, as were the big tow mirrors and the black grille insert. I honestly didn't pay much attention to the sticker and what was all included as far as those "extras".

2017 Titan CC 4x4 SL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admire For This Useful Post:
el_conquistador (07-06-2018), Titan332009 (07-04-2018)
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaninBack916 View Post
Some of the above may be optional on the SL or Pro 4x but I know the 360 view wasn't and neither was the rear heated seats. But those features above helped. I test drove the Pro 4x and PR and loved both.

I have the Pro-4X with heated rear seats and test drove a Pro-4X with the 360 View. As much as I wanted the package with 360 View and the cooled front seats, I needed the towing mirrors more and the 360 View isn’t available with the towing mirrors, best as I can tell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to mallthus For This Useful Post:
Titan332009 (07-04-2018)
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 11:44 AM
Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozac View Post
I bought the SV primarily because of the deal they were giving me on the truck. Add to that, I am not a huge fan of leather and did not have any problems with the seats feeling like a brick. It came with all of the options that I wanted at a price point that I found reasonable.
The only blue one I could find had the leather, my next choice was gun metal with no leather and that would have been a perfect fit as well. Hope you’re as happy as I am as these trucks ride so well. The test drive I took was a platinum reserve and was a beautiful truck but I had to draw the line somewhere and the $10,000 difference in the two trucks covers half the amount of the loan on the new Rogue SV that we pick up during the next week.

Clint

2014 Nissan Sentra SR
2018 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
The Following User Says Thank You to Clint For This Useful Post:
Titan332009 (07-04-2018)
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to dbolemiss

When I bought my 2007 I got an SE and found myself adding alot of things I should have just got from the factory.
Thought about the PR, but just to flashy for my taste. So I got the loaded PRO4X (Sticker $52540). Really pleased with my pick till they came out with those midnight packages. (But I did buy my wife a Midnight Maxima,lol).

2007 Titan SE - Traded in
2017 Titan Pro4X
The Following User Says Thank You to dbolemiss For This Useful Post:
Titan332009 (07-04-2018)
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbolemiss View Post
Really pleased with my pick till they came out with those midnight packages. (But I did buy my wife a Midnight Maxima,lol).
Great thing about the 17’s is you can swap out a majority of what make the 18’s a “midnight edition” (aside from the fender badges). I too really liked the look of the midnights but they don’t make the Pro4X in that trim. Love having the Bilstein shocks, all-terrains, and skid plate for some light off-roading but wanted the blacked out look. So I located the part #’s for and bought the midnight edition fog light finishers from my local Nissan dealership, de-badged the entire truck, purchased blacked out grill and tailgate emblems, and had the skid plate powder coated black. Will be having the fender badges black vinyl wrapped by a custom shop near me soon to finish it out. No more chrome for this guy. I COULD also purchase the midnight edition “TITAN” badging but I like the cleaner look without them.
Attached Thumbnails
What was your reasoning for going either SV, SL or Platinum?-036383c7-7223-4399-b074-713f3ed9c8bb_1530677086954.jpg   What was your reasoning for going either SV, SL or Platinum?-3f5fac64-70c2-4018-92c2-ae4fc053eb8a_1530677123015.jpg   What was your reasoning for going either SV, SL or Platinum?-8e6170f1-7ec6-4db2-9dbb-cbfcefa629c6_1530677144865.jpg  

2017 Nissan Titan Pro-4X - Project "Dark Knight"
| Rough Country 3" Suspension Lift Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | Magnaflow 18" Muffler | Raptor 5" Nerf Bars | Stubby 50 Cal | De-Badged | BakFlip MX4 Tonneau Cover | UnderCover Swing Cases | LED Lows, Highs, Fogs, Interior Conversion | Main Event "TITAN" Emblems | Heise 22" LED Light Bar | Midnight Edition Fog Light Finishers | Black Powder Coat Skid Plate | Rough Country Fender Flares | BORA 2” Wheel Spacers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BIGSTUF For This Useful Post:
dbolemiss (07-04-2018), Titan332009 (07-04-2018)
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post

The only blue one I could find had the leather, my next choice was gun metal with no leather and that would have been a perfect fit as well. Hope you’re as happy as I am as these trucks ride so well. The test drive I took was a platinum reserve and was a beautiful truck but I had to draw the line somewhere and the $10,000 difference in the two trucks covers half the amount of the loan on the new Rogue SV that we pick up during the next week.

Clint
Clint,

We absolutely love the truck! It is great at doing the job I needed it to, tow my 27' travel trailer. Other than that, it has all the right amenities for the wife and me. We test drove every brand, but the problem I had was always chasing after that mystical rear end with the amenities that I find necessary on a truck so I could tow at least 9000lbs. In the end, the value of this truck won me over and we have been quite pleased with the truck. It took the wife and I from Mountain Home, ID to Findlay, OH pulling an almost 7200lbs load and did it with ease.

John

V/R,
John

2017 Titan SV CC 4X4
The Following User Says Thank You to Prozac For This Useful Post:
Titan332009 (07-04-2018)
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGSTUF View Post
Great thing about the 17’s is you can swap out a majority of what make the 18’s a “midnight edition” (aside from the fender badges). I too really liked the look of the midnights but they don’t make the Pro4X in that trim. Love having the Bilstein shocks, all-terrains, and skid plate for some light off-roading but wanted the blacked out look. So I located the part #’s for and bought the midnight edition fog light finishers from my local Nissan dealership, de-badged the entire truck, purchased blacked out grill and tailgate emblems, and had the skid plate powder coated black. Will be having the fender badges black vinyl wrapped by a custom shop near me soon to finish it out. No more chrome for this guy. I COULD also purchase the midnight edition “TITAN” badging but I like the cleaner look without them.
Looks sharp.
What was the cost to get the "midnight parts" and who sells them and can you get it for any color or just black?
Normally a truck without the badging looks very plain but it works great on your truck. Not sure why. May be due to the two-tone look.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Jump to top