New motor coming - Page 3 - Nissan Titan Forum
2016 Titan General Forum General discussion forum for the new 2016 Nissan Titan.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Re: New motor coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfur1 View Post
my white titan were you letting the dealership do your oil changes? I curious to if those chuckle heads are using 0-20W synthetic? Or are they putting 5-30W in there cause that's what the parts counter guy pumps out to them cause he doesn't know any better?
They did the 1 one due to pan oil leak but i was there wen the job was done and 0w20 that what they used.((i was in a bulk 45 gallon container)..the truck had only 1.500klm at that time and i did 2 more after that whit Mobil 1 0w20 and using Nissan oil filter..and keeping all my bill for proof for warranty..My truck as only 21.500 klm
The Following User Says Thank You to my white titan For This Useful Post:
slyfur1 (04-16-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by my white titan View Post
They did the 1 one due to pan oil leak but i was there wen the job was done and 0w20 that what they used.((i was in a bulk 45 gallon container)..the truck had only 1.500klm at that time and i did 2 more after that whit Mobil 1 0w20 and using Nissan oil filter..and keeping all my bill for proof for warranty..My truck as only 21.500 klm

I did an oil change shortly after buying the truck and another at the first scheduled interval just to get the break in wear flushed out.
It sucks when you do your best to make the truck last as long as possible and then you end up getting only 16k kms on the odometer before the motor starts knocking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob J For This Useful Post:
Titan332009 (04-16-2019)
post #33 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Hunter is right , Nissan Canada will send you what the Tech Dept says is required to get truck back up and running. Not what you think it should have or even what makes sense from a money or time standpoint. Believe me I've tried!!! My local service manager tried and District manager tried we all agreed longblock made more sense from every standpoint but in the end after weeks of pushing for longblock I got shortblock. Hopefully your talks with Nissan Canada go better then mine did. It just goes around in a circle over and over til you get extremely frustrated. I'm just very thankful I have an awesome dealership that goes the extra mile. I hope you get everything you ask for from Nissan Canada good luck.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Titan686 For This Useful Post:
hunter (04-16-2019), my white titan (04-16-2019), Rob J (04-15-2019), slyfur1 (04-16-2019), Titan332009 (04-16-2019)
post #34 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:51 PM

Just a reminder this engine is only running 0w20 to help with fuel economy. This is not a new engine only new to the 2nd gens Titans. This engine has been in North America in other Infinity vehicles since 2011 ish I believe and service spec for oil was 5w30. The only issue these earlier engines had was oil jets were clocked wrong not giving proper lube to front of engine once repaired these were rock soild engines. No issue with oil viscosity.
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan686 For This Useful Post:
Titan332009 (04-16-2019)
post #35 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)

mine started knocking in Nov with only 3000K on it, went to florida and back and the motor was changed at 11000 km, long block so far it's running great
The Following User Says Thank You to Doneuald For This Useful Post:
Titan332009 (04-16-2019)
post #36 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:25 AM
PRJ

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan686 View Post
Just a reminder this engine is only running 0w20 to help with fuel economy. This is not a new engine only new to the 2nd gens Titans. This engine has been in North America in other Infinity vehicles since 2011 ish I believe and service spec for oil was 5w30. The only issue these earlier engines had was oil jets were clocked wrong not giving proper lube to front of engine once repaired these were rock soild engines. No issue with oil viscosity.
They must have made some sort of changes to that engine since 2010-2011 otherwise this knocking issue would have been resolved 8-9 years ago. So whatever they did is giving us Titan owners problems.
post #37 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:17 PM

I think the difference in the older version of this engine and are present Titan engine is something along the lines of growing pains when the production of this engine moved from Yokohama, Japan to Decherd, Tennessee. I know Nissan Global moved production because one of the factors was USA tariffs. I can't confirm growing pains is the reason but I do know that any engine from Japan had no engine knock issue just the lube jet issue.
post #38 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Quote:
I think the difference in the older version of this engine and are present Titan engine is something along the lines of growing pains when the production of this engine moved from Yokohama, Japan to Decherd, Tennessee. I know Nissan Global moved production because one of the factors was USA tariffs. I can't confirm growing pains is the reason but I do know that any engine from Japan had no engine knock issue just the lube jet issue.
It has nothing to do with Decherd. Decherd has been building engines for over twenty years. Four cylinder, six cylinder, and eight cylinder...apparently supplied by Nissan for the Patrol.

Last edited by quattroa4m; 04-16-2019 at 02:01 PM.
post #39 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:08 PM

Red face Re: New motor coming

Quote:
Hunter is right , Nissan Canada will send you what the Tech Dept says is required to get truck back up and running. Not what you think it should have or even what makes sense from a money or time standpoint. Believe me I've tried!!! My local service manager tried and District manager tried we all agreed longblock made more sense from every standpoint but in the end after weeks of pushing for longblock I got shortblock. Hopefully your talks with Nissan Canada go better then mine did. It just goes around in a circle over and over til you get extremely frustrated. I'm just very thankful I have an awesome dealership that goes the extra mile. I hope you get everything you ask for from Nissan Canada good luck.
ok so here my story..i went to the dealer to have my engine check..and a new motor was required .and long block was sent they have it sitting in the garage.2 day later the mechanic as and email from teck service to not install a long block that a short block would be sent..after a few day whit the help of my service teck they contact Nissan teak line and had a discussion ,since they made a mistake sending the long block that is what im going to have .since a few week Nissan decided to install short block because there still a lot of good parts that there still good and they said it would cost less to fix the engine.and they aware that the piston is problem ...for Nissan y change every thing..from now on everybody should get a short block to resume the problem.if u want to fight something go for a longer warranty is they say the engine is ok after the rebuilt of the engine a nice 10 year of warranty would be nice just like Hyundai did whit the Elantra 2012 to 2016 motor .if they say it fix then they should not be afraid of this.

Last edited by my white titan; 04-16-2019 at 03:16 PM.
post #40 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4m View Post
It has nothing to do with Decherd. Decherd has been building engines for over twenty years. Four cylinder, six cylinder, and eight cylinder...apparently supplied by Nissan for the Patrol.
I understand they have been building quality engines for many years. I guess the term growing pains was incorrect on my part. What I should have said is possible error in casting material or possible programming error. It is my understanding that new titan engine didn't have a cylinder 7 issue until the Decherd plant took over production. With that being said it is safe to conclude something when wrong in that plant ? If you have info on the cause of the # 7 knock please share I would love to know. I can tell you my engine I was told cylinder 7 was out of round. So too me out of round is a possible casting or machining issue ? I assume this process is most likely completed by robot? . Any insite please share ... thank you
post #41 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage

I would like to make a comment to a couple of messages left above:

Titan686 - You are 100% correct in stating that dealing with Nissan Canada is a very frustrating process. Like you, I've been fighting for a long block but after beating my head against a brick wall - I gave up and am accepting the short block engine that is coming for my Titan - I did get a $250 credit from Nissan Canada to be used at my dealership.

My White Titan - I tried for an extended warranty with the short block but got nowhere. When I asked Nissan Canada - "what happens if this new short block starts knocking again after my warranty has expired" Nissan Canada's answer "We have everything documented as to what has transpired with your truck in regards to the engine and we will take all this into consideration when deciding whether or not to cover the repairs to fix your engine problem"

I have definitely learned a lot about the Titan engine over the past week or so and am looking forward to getting a knock free engine once again

2017 Titan Crew Cab SV 4 x 4
Premium Package, Dual exhaust system with Magnaflow muffler and Magnaflow SS tips (18" x 4"), Goodyear Wrangler Adventure A/T tires (P265/70R 18); Fuel Offroad Lethal wheels (18" x 9"), Undercover Flex tonneau cover, Putco 48" LED Tailgate light bar, AVS Bugflector
post #42 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

What concerns me about this is the spread in build dates of the affected trucks: My White Titan (8/2016), Hunter (9/2016), PRJ (10/2017) and RobJ (12/2017). I would feel much better if the affected trucks were within a tight time span. Having a 2017 P4X with a build date of 11/2016 doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. I'm at 20,000 miles now, and outside of noisy injectors, everything sounds normal. Another thing that is puzzling is if the "out of round" cylinder #7 is the cause of these engine issues, why did some take so long to develop? You would imagine an "out of round" cylinder would be hammering from the get-go.
The Following User Says Thank You to '17RedPro4x For This Useful Post:
HMX Dave (04-16-2019)
post #43 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by '17RedPro4x View Post
What concerns me about this is the spread in build dates of the affected trucks: My White Titan (8/2016), Hunter (9/2016), PRJ (10/2017) and RobJ (12/2017). I would feel much better if the affected trucks were within a tight time span. Having a 2017 P4X with a build date of 11/2016 doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. I'm at 20,000 miles now, and outside of noisy injectors, everything sounds normal. Another thing that is puzzling is if the "out of round" cylinder #7 is the cause of these engine issues, why did some take so long to develop? You would imagine an "out of round" cylinder would be hammering from the get-go.
My SV has a build date of 11/16 as well. I have 64,000km (40,000 miles) and all good so far. Regular oil changes every 6500km....

2017 Titan SV Premium
AVS Hood Protector
AVS Vent shades
20" LED
Weathertech mats
post #44 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
New motor coming

On our trip to Florida, I did a full throttle merge onto the interstate (as I sometimes do to clear the ports) and at that moment my wife happened to look in the side view mirror.
Apparently there was a solid stream of black smoke exiting the exhaust pipe.
Iím not sure if this is a result of blow by caused by the cylinder wall gap or some strange over fueling event but never noticed that before (I was not aware of the knock at this point in time).
I mentioned it to my dealer in case it was important.
I also find the knock sound is becoming more noticeable as well. I used to only hear at when in gear at idle. Now I can clearly hear it with the truck in park.
Itís rather embarrassing at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Rob J; 04-16-2019 at 06:26 PM.
post #45 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Some good info in video below regarding engine..

https://youtu.be/oj6pDt-1lCs

2016 Titan XD Gas Pro 4x
2017 Titan SL 2wd
2018 Armada Plat 2wd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Jump to top