New motor coming - Page 4 - Nissan Titan Forum
2016 Titan General Forum General discussion forum for the new 2016 Nissan Titan.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by '17RedPro4x View Post
What concerns me about this is the spread in build dates of the affected trucks: My White Titan (8/2016), Hunter (9/2016), PRJ (10/2017) and RobJ (12/2017). I would feel much better if the affected trucks were within a tight time span. Having a 2017 P4X with a build date of 11/2016 doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. I'm at 20,000 miles now, and outside of noisy injectors, everything sounds normal. Another thing that is puzzling is if the "out of round" cylinder #7 is the cause of these engine issues, why did some take so long to develop? You would imagine an "out of round" cylinder would be hammering from the get-go.
That’s what I’d expect. Still not getting the whole story.

2017 SV 4x4

2.5" Front, 1.5" Rear lift
SPC UCA's
20x9 +12 Black Rhino Chase
305/55r20 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob J View Post
On our trip to Florida, I did a full throttle merge onto the interstate (as I sometimes do to clear the ports) and at that moment my wife happened to look in the side view mirror.
Apparently there was a solid stream of black smoke exiting the exhaust pipe.
I’m not sure if this is a result of blow by caused by the cylinder wall gap or some strange over fueling event but never noticed that before (I was not aware of the knock at this point in time).
I mentioned it to my dealer in case it was important.
I also find the knock sound is becoming more noticeable as well. I used to only hear at when in gear at idle. Now I can clearly hear it with the truck in park.
It’s rather embarrassing at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmmm, I think I’ll start clearing my ports with a full throttle freeway merge as well. Sounds very important and almost as if it should be part of the recommended maintenance. Yes, I think I will do that and it will have absolutely nothing to do with how good it sounds or feels. Strictly maintenance related.

2017 SV 4x4

SPC UCA's
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankhenrylee For This Useful Post:
Rob J (04-17-2019), Titan332009 (04-17-2019)
post #48 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Re: New motor coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan686 View Post
I understand they have been building quality engines for many years. I guess the term growing pains was incorrect on my part. What I should have said is possible error in casting material or possible programming error. It is my understanding that new titan engine didn't have a cylinder 7 issue until the Decherd plant took over production. With that being said it is safe to conclude something when wrong in that plant ? If you have info on the cause of the # 7 knock please share I would love to know. I can tell you my engine I was told cylinder 7 was out of round. So too me out of round is a possible casting or machining issue ? I assume this process is most likely completed by robot? . Any insite please share ... thank you
Unless they took the engine apart and actually measured #7 and found it to be out of round, itís highly unlikely. Itís pretty difficult for a boring tool to bore a cylinder out of round in the first place.

More than likely itís a function of tolerances, oiling, and temperature. Given the ďnewĒ design of the pistons, they may be very intolerant of variations in any of these areas. If it proves to always be #7 , it would point to a design issue. If Nissan is indeed using shorter skirt pistons, odds are the pistons have been redesigned to handle wider variations.
The Following User Says Thank You to quattroa4m For This Useful Post:
slyfur1 (04-17-2019)
post #49 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankhenrylee View Post
Hmmm, I think Iíll start clearing my ports with a full throttle freeway merge as well. Sounds very important and almost as if it should be part of the recommended maintenance. Yes, I think I will do that and it will have absolutely nothing to do with how good it sounds or feels. Strictly maintenance related.

post #50 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:57 AM
PRJ

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4m View Post
It has nothing to do with Decherd. Decherd has been building engines for over twenty years. Four cylinder, six cylinder, and eight cylinder...apparently supplied by Nissan for the Patrol.
To be fair...the U.S. method of manufacturing cars is not as refined as what's done in Japan.

Poor QC and bad attitudes are reason for the demise in reliability of your typical Dodge, Ford and Chevy product. So maybe a move to Decherd, TN is somewhat responsible.

Last edited by PRJ; 04-17-2019 at 07:59 AM.
post #51 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:05 AM
PRJ

Quote:
On our trip to Florida, I did a full throttle merge onto the interstate (as I sometimes do to clear the ports) and at that moment my wife happened to look in the side view mirror.
Apparently there was a solid stream of black smoke exiting the exhaust pipe.
Iím not sure if this is a result of blow by caused by the cylinder wall gap or some strange over fueling event but never noticed that before (I was not aware of the knock at this point in time).
I mentioned it to my dealer in case it was important.
I also find the knock sound is becoming more noticeable as well. I used to only hear at when in gear at idle. Now I can clearly hear it with the truck in park.
Itís rather embarrassing at this point.

Mine is knocking at idle and throttling down the highway I can hear it if I step on it to pass someone.

Very loud when first starting but quiets down a little bit after warming up. It used to quiet down and then go away completely. Now it doesn't anymore.

I go in at 3:30 today for my appointment.
post #52 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Quote:
What concerns me about this is the spread in build dates of the affected trucks: My White Titan (8/2016), Hunter (9/2016), PRJ (10/2017) and RobJ (12/2017). I would feel much better if the affected trucks were within a tight time span. Having a 2017 P4X with a build date of 11/2016 doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. I'm at 20,000 miles now, and outside of noisy injectors, everything sounds normal. Another thing that is puzzling is if the "out of round" cylinder #7 is the cause of these engine issues, why did some take so long to develop? You would imagine an "out of round" cylinder would be hammering from the get-go.

mine was built 7/18
post #53 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:54 AM
PRJ

Quote:
Where are you located? So far this only seems to be affecting those of us in the cold climate areas.
post #54 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Eastern PA....but cold weather won't make a cylinder go "out of round". Something is missing.
post #55 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montyz81 View Post
Short blocks and long blocks are interchangeable.

Not completely true. Long blocks come complete. Short blocks require reusing your cylinder heads, camshafts, timing chains, oil pump and other parts. Should be fine, the problem is in the #5 &7 cylinders having piston slap.
post #56 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:31 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicpilot View Post
Not completely true. Long blocks come complete. Short blocks require reusing your cylinder heads, camshafts, timing chains, oil pump and other parts. Should be fine, the problem is in the #5 &7 cylinders having piston slap.
I already told him that on page 2

2018 KC Deep Blue Pearl, VK56VD, Pro4X, bought new, 12K mi
2006 KC Majestic Blue Frontier, Nismo 4x4, V-6 4.0, 6Spd, bought new, 147K mi "Sold"

I prefer not using remote start or drive-thrus, both hurt your MPG's a lot & you shouldn't let your vehicle idle more that a minute or so especially unattended.
Remember oil isn't a renewable energy source. One day it will all be gone?

Mods: OLM LED fog lights ALPHA HD (PHILIPS Z ES), Iron Cross Black Endeavour Running Boards, WeatherTech floor mats and window visors, AVS aeroskin bug defector, K&N PAIS PN 63-6019,
post #57 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage

Does anyone know what causes the piston slap? Are they wearing prematurely? Or deforming somehow?

post #58 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know what causes the piston slap? Are they wearing prematurely? Or deforming somehow?

Random guess is that the cylinders are milled by eight separate boring bits and the ones for the 7 and possibly 5 cylinders got jacked up or wore out at some point. No telling how many were made before it was noticed.

2017 SV 4x4

SPC UCA's
post #59 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankhenrylee View Post
Random guess is that the cylinders are milled by eight separate boring bits and the ones for the 7 and possibly 5 cylinders got jacked up or wore out at some point. No telling how many were made before it was noticed.
Do we have any posters who've done this type of work? I highly doubt it's bit-related because you'd be talking about a very small number. Or perhaps they were changing bits often enough and the engines produced at the end of the tool life are having issues.

I know so little, I'm just throwing ideas out there. I'd love to hear from someone who has first hand experience with this area of manufacturing.
post #60 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)

I wonder if it could have something to do with the sleeves. Our engine is an aluminum block, but it has an iron sleeve pressed into each cylinder.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Jump to top