2017 Cruise and Shifting... - Nissan Titan Forum
2016 Titan General Forum General discussion forum for the new 2016 Nissan Titan.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2017 Cruise and Shifting...

Hello all,

I recently purchased a new to me 2017 CC Pro4x. I noticed something that I thought was odd while I was driving home from the dealer, which was a 6 hour drive so plenty of time to test. If I was on the highway with the cruise set at lets say 72 and there was a small hill the truck would downshift quite often, sometimes down to I am guessing 4th or 5th as I was doing 3k rpms.

At first I was concerned thinking the truck didnt have much torque to hold the shift. I then tried very similar hills without the cruise control on, but tried to maintain the same speed. I found that doing this the truck did great, often did not downshift at all or maybe just to 6th as RPMS never went over 2k.

Is this normal operation? Also I have read on the TSB about the shifting, is this indicative of that issue? I ask because aside from the cruise I like the fact that it tries to hold a gear and will lug up a hill, and that if I need more out of it just put the pedal down and she will shift.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
Re: 2017 Cruise and Shifting...

Yeah. There have been several conversations about this. Normal for the Titan but not sure why it behaves this way; maybe slightly better for fuel economy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:03 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2thez View Post
Hello all,

I recently purchased a new to me 2017 CC Pro4x. I noticed something that I thought was odd while I was driving home from the dealer, which was a 6 hour drive so plenty of time to test. If I was on the highway with the cruise set at lets say 72 and there was a small hill the truck would downshift quite often, sometimes down to I am guessing 4th or 5th as I was doing 3k rpms.

At first I was concerned thinking the truck didnt have much torque to hold the shift. I then tried very similar hills without the cruise control on, but tried to maintain the same speed. I found that doing this the truck did great, often did not downshift at all or maybe just to 6th as RPMS never went over 2k.

Is this normal operation? Also I have read on the TSB about the shifting, is this indicative of that issue? I ask because aside from the cruise I like the fact that it tries to hold a gear and will lug up a hill, and that if I need more out of it just put the pedal down and she will shift.

I also find it very strange that with cruise control on it downshifts on slight hills way too often compared to when you're not using cruise control. When in tow mode towing my 6200lb travel trailer in cruise it down shifts a lot too but it holds speed very well. But if I take off cruise it holds gears longer and seems to have no trouble making it up the same hills w/o down shifting. Also seems to get better MPG w/o cruise if I can keep a steady speed.

I don't feel that this operation is related to the TSB in regards to transmission flutter or shifting gears up too early only to lug and just have to downshift or there being a possible fuel pump/fuel pressure issue.

BTW Welcome back and congrats on your new Titan

https://www.titantalk.com/forums/201...-tsb-info.html

https://www.titantalk.com/forums/201...e-lugging.html

https://www.titantalk.com/forums/201...orkaround.html

2018 KC Deep Blue Pearl, VK56VD, Pro4X, bought new, 12K mi
2006 KC Majestic Blue Frontier, Nismo 4x4, V-6 4.0, 6Spd, bought new, 147K mi "Sold"

I prefer not using remote start or drive-thrus, both hurt your MPG's a lot & you shouldn't let your vehicle idle more that a minute or so especially unattended.
Remember oil isn't a renewable energy source. One day it will all be gone?

Mods: OLM LED fog lights ALPHA HD (PHILIPS Z ES), Iron Cross Black Endeavour Running Boards, WeatherTech floor mats and window visors, AVS aeroskin bug defector, K&N PAIS PN 63-6019,

Last edited by slyfur1; 04-22-2019 at 06:09 AM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2thez View Post
Hello all,

The area around here isn't hilly so I haven't noticed the phenomenon you describe. But congratulations on your new truck and be sure to post a few pics of your baby when you get a chance!

2018 Mercedes E400
2017 Nissan Titan SV
2013 BMW X5
2010 Porsche Cayman S
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I also have a new to me 2017 Titan SL 4wd that I purchased with 4300 miles on it. I knew it was a California buy back for a inoperative passenger seat heating issue. Nissan repaired/replaced the heated seat, and it works perfectly. So now I have 5800 miles on the vehicle. Yesterday, I towed a 16.5 aluminum boat (on tow mode) 45 miles one way. The decline downshift was not only annoying, but I didn't feel like it aided in slowing the vehicle down. In fact, it felt like it unsafely sped it up, because the braking felt less effective with the downshift/engine braking active.

It also downshifts when off tow mode and not towing. In that circumstance, it doesn't seem to be an issue... just not something I have experienced in any other SUV/Truck I have owned in the past. Add to the downshifting "the roar" from what appears to a bad fan clutch, and the vehicle becomes very frustrating to drive. In that 45 miles one way, the fan "roar" or what appears to be the fan matching the RPM of the engine, went off and then on every 2-4 seconds - for an hour. It was 60-70 degree F yesterday, and quite possibly that played a part.

I have also had the vehicle in for oil around the front lower end, hopefully just from a sloppy oil change. And a loud whistle that comes from the front end at speeds over 55mph. I was fortunate to have a Nissan tech ride with me on the interstate to hear it. His response was "It is going to take me some time to figure that out." I replied with, "I don't think the engineers had it in the wind tunnel like that and said, oh ya.. that's good."

They couldn't get it in at the Nissan dealer for 10 days - to include a decent loaner. So in my frustration I called the sales manager from the same owner's group, but different dealer (where I purchased the vehicle) asking for some guidance. I am pleased to say he stepped up to the plate and scheduled a loaner, and an appointment at the Nissan dealer tomorrow.

So, hopefully the fan issue, and shifting issues can be addressed. Possibly a software update? Possibly a bad fan clutch? Has anyone else had similar experiences of those issues together? I am open to advice as well. I have read the fan clutch threads, and the knocking engine threads. I haven't found a "whistling" thread, nor have I read much on shifting threads.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:15 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchrman View Post
I also have a new to me 2017 Titan SL 4wd that I purchased with 4300 miles on it. I knew it was a California buy back for a inoperative passenger seat heating issue. Nissan repaired/replaced the heated seat, and it works perfectly. So now I have 5800 miles on the vehicle. Yesterday, I towed a 16.5 aluminum boat (on tow mode) 45 miles one way. The decline downshift was not only annoying, but I didn't feel like it aided in slowing the vehicle down. In fact, it felt like it unsafely sped it up, because the braking felt less effective with the downshift/engine braking active.

It also downshifts when off tow mode and not towing. In that circumstance, it doesn't seem to be an issue... just not something I have experienced in any other SUV/Truck I have owned in the past. Add to the downshifting "the roar" from what appears to a bad fan clutch, and the vehicle becomes very frustrating to drive. In that 45 miles one way, the fan "roar" or what appears to be the fan matching the RPM of the engine, went off and then on every 2-4 seconds - for an hour. It was 60-70 degree F yesterday, and quite possibly that played a part.

I have also had the vehicle in for oil around the front lower end, hopefully just from a sloppy oil change. And a loud whistle that comes from the front end at speeds over 55mph. I was fortunate to have a Nissan tech ride with me on the interstate to hear it. His response was "It is going to take me some time to figure that out." I replied with, "I don't think the engineers had it in the wind tunnel like that and said, oh ya.. that's good."

They couldn't get it in at the Nissan dealer for 10 days - to include a decent loaner. So in my frustration I called the sales manager from the same owner's group, but different dealer (where I purchased the vehicle) asking for some guidance. I am pleased to say he stepped up to the plate and scheduled a loaner, and an appointment at the Nissan dealer tomorrow.

So, hopefully the fan issue, and shifting issues can be addressed. Possibly a software update? Possibly a bad fan clutch? Has anyone else had similar experiences of those issues together? I am open to advice as well. I have read the fan clutch threads, and the knocking engine threads. I haven't found a "whistling" thread, nor have I read much on shifting threads.
I wouldn't use tow mode for a 16.5' aluminum john boat. The tow mode is programmed to use engine braking to aid in braking. When it starts to do it if you instinctually put you foot on the gas to try to make it stop you might be counteracting the engine braking by accelerating.

The front timing cover is leaking or the oil pan, many of us have mentioned it in posts.
https://www.titantalk.com/forums/201...il-change.html

The engine fan is very loud.

2018 KC Deep Blue Pearl, VK56VD, Pro4X, bought new, 12K mi
2006 KC Majestic Blue Frontier, Nismo 4x4, V-6 4.0, 6Spd, bought new, 147K mi "Sold"

I prefer not using remote start or drive-thrus, both hurt your MPG's a lot & you shouldn't let your vehicle idle more that a minute or so especially unattended.
Remember oil isn't a renewable energy source. One day it will all be gone?

Mods: OLM LED fog lights ALPHA HD (PHILIPS Z ES), Iron Cross Black Endeavour Running Boards, WeatherTech floor mats and window visors, AVS aeroskin bug defector, K&N PAIS PN 63-6019,
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:45 AM
PRJ

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Mine did this when I first bought it. I thought it was rather strange. Probably did it for the first 2000-3000 miles and then it quit doing it. Not sure if the computer "learned" or what happened. But it does not do it anymore.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Mine does this and it really does stink. It was way worse ironically through the first 15,000 miles and it has settled down quite a bit since then. I refused to use the cruise control at first because of this, but now it seems to be pretty normal. I think the more gears they throw in these trucks the more it's going to search for the right gear. The right gear for the truck to perform the best in, may not be the gear we always want it to be in.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

[QUOTE=slyfur1;8042195]I wouldn't use tow mode for a 16.5' aluminum john boat. The tow mode is programmed to use engine braking to aid in braking. When it starts to do it if you instinctually put you foot on the gas to try to make it stop you might be counteracting the engine braking by accelerating.

The front timing cover is leaking or the oil pan, many of us have mentioned it in posts.
https://www.titantalk.com/forums/201...il-change.html

It is a 16.5ft Deep V Walleye boat with a deck and interior. Even though it is a tiller, it weighs considerably more than a john boat, has a 60hp merc and a kicker motor plus storage. I believe the tow mode is warranted for towing it.

I just got the truck back after 13 days at the dealer. The shifting/transmission issue appears to be corrected. The warranty repair code/bulletin was NTB17-016E - shift shock, lack of power and rpm fluctuation. The service manager states the transmission control module was reprogrammed.

The fan issues was fixed with warranty code/bulletin was NTB17-053 - fan coupling tick, knock in cold temperatures. The service manager states the transmission control module needed to be reprogrammed.

I have put on about 45 miles since picking up the truck, and no fan issue, plus the shifting seems much smoother. Side note: I called the sales manager prior to taking it in for service expressing my concern for the issues, and my loaner was a Kia Stinger GT. Very fun car. Can't tow anything though.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

So interestingly enough, I took my truck in for the Transmission TSB and after that it holds a gear much better with Cruise Control on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Jump to top