2019 F-150 XLT 5.0 vs 2018 Titan SV premium review - Nissan Titan Forum
2016 Titan General Forum General discussion forum for the new 2016 Nissan Titan.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2019 F-150 XLT 5.0 vs 2018 Titan SV premium review

F-150 MSRP $53,914 CAD (not including incentives)
Titan MSRP $50,598 CAD (not including incentives)

I had the use of a 2019 F-150 XLT 5.0 for a week while the Titan was being serviced. This vehicle had 60 kms on the odometer when I picked it up. I was the first customer to drive it (Enterprise rental vehicle).
I am going to try my best to be as objective as I can be in this review.
I downloaded the window sticker from Ford for this F-150 and attached it in this review. Kudos to Ford for this system.

Engine
Both engines perform very well with healthy V8 sounds under load.
The Titan exhaust sounds a little more aggressive from the factory without introducing unwanted engine sound at cruising speeds.

Feature Comparison
Titan +
- Dual zone climate control
- Automatic rain sensing wipers
- Better in bed tiedowns
- Blind spot monitoring and cross traffic alert. I give this nod to the Titan for a couple of reasons. The Titan has an audible alert when you engage your turn signal when the system detects someone next to you and the Ford does not. Additionally, this feature is not available at all on the Ford when you add towing mirrors unless you upgrade to the Lariat trim (my loaner didn't have this system at all)
- Soft drop tailgate
- Better in bed lighting
- In bed 120V outlet
- Warranty

Ford +
- Infotainment system (Sync 3)
- Displays the currently selected gear
- Capless fuel filler
- Better backup camera image
- Fuel tank capacity

Impressions

Cabin
When I hopped into the Ford, it was a very strange sensation. I felt like I sat ďonĒ of the truck and not ďinĒ the truck like you do in the Titan. The dashboard and hood in the Ford fall away from view very quickly. I also find the controls to be far away. The infotainment system is too low and far too upright. I had to reach for the climate controls. It doesnít feel comfortable. This sensation did go away after spending some time with the vehicle and it was very much exaggerated when I got back into the Titan. I felt like I was ďinĒ the vehicle. This is difficult sensation to convey in writing.

Comfort
The Titan has excellent seats. By far the most comfortable that I have experienced in a vehicle. Our trip to Florida and back never had me concerned with fatigue as a result of the seats. I did not find the seats in the Ford to be less comfortable but I did not take any extended road trips so I canít say for certain which one was better.

Controls
I find the steering wheel controls on the Ford to be far too verbose. Ford doesnít appear to want multi functioning buttons on the steering wheel and this is reflected in the sheer number of buttons. There are 18 buttons in the Ford compared to the 8 in the Titan. Granted some of the buttons are multi functioning but because of the layout and shape, you donít find yourself having to look at the steering wheel on the Titan to know what to press.

Driver Information
I found both to be adequate. Higher trim levels of the Ford have better displays but the XLT was comparable. The digital speedometer is a nice feature and something Nissan should add.

Steering
The Ford has a very light feeling steering wheel. The feedback is vague compared to the Titan where the steering feels heavier and more connected to the vehicle.

Materials
The Titan has better cabin materials in my opinion. The dashboard is softer, and the door skins and console cover are better. The plastics and controls in the center stack of the Ford felt very cheap.

Hands-free system
In my usage, my wife found a difference with background noises between these trucks. The Titan did a better job cancelling out ventilation and road noises.

Auto start-stop
Not available on the Titan. I know a lot of people defeat this device but I left it on while I had the vehicle. It was unpredictable when it would choose to stop the engine. Even with the climate controls turned off it would not stop the engine at all stop lights even when at operating temperature. Perhaps the battery was reading low. Iím not sure. The system stammers a bit when it comes back online (triggered when removing your foot from the brake pedal) and Iím not sure how quick it would be to respond in case of an emergency. I do believe it is effective at saving fuel though.

Mirrors
The Ford did not have the towing mirrors equipped. I prefer the ones on the Titan. The available Ford towing mirrors are massive.

Shifters
The Ford came equipped with a column mounted gear shift which is the style that I prefer. The console shifters that I have seen in other Fords are nice but take up a lot of space. I preferred the gated shifter in my gen 1 Titan for console shifters but the sacrifice of storage doesnít make it useful for me.

Styling
This is highly subjective, and I wonít spend much time here. I like the bold styling of the Titan and the limited number seen on the road. It feels much more special when you encounter one and people do react. Especially with the midnight edition; that model turns heads for sure. The Ford has very conservative styling (more so than GM or RAM) and they disappear simply as a result of the large number of them you see. But I do think the Ford is a nice-looking truck.

Driving Impressions
The best word that I can use to sum up the Ford is ďstiffĒ. Incredibly stiff. The ride is very hard compared to the Titan. And the transmission is much more noticeable in its gear changes especially when cold. In contrast, the transmission in the Titan is almost transparent. If you didnít catch the change in engine tone, you would probably never notice a gear change.
The Ford also has a very strange acceleration curve and I think this is a transmission related quirk. When accelerating hard, it almost feels as though the transmission hesitates to shift between gears and you cycle through these stages of strong and weak acceleration. Again, a difficult thing to convey but it feels like the gearing is too short and there are too many of them. This isnít an issue under normal driving conditions. I did not experience the "refined" feeling that the journalists attribute to the Ford and the new 10 speed; perhaps I was just spoiled by the Titan and the Ford is more refined compared to the other domestic trucks; I'm not sure.

Ignition systems
The XLT trim comes with a key. Iím not sure why this would be the case in 2019. The underlying system is clearly controlled the same as a push button start system; by flicking the key to the start position for only a moment, the starter remains engaged until the engine is running. This seems to me to only be adding cost to the Ford and Iím curious to know why. The Titan on the other hand comes equipped with push button start as standard equipment and this makes adding features like remote start a completely integrated and very affordable dealer installed option.

Safety
The Titan (along with the Ram) join the F-150 in crash test performance
https://www.autonews.com/regulation-...de-crash-tests

Cruise control
This is a strange item to add to a review but I am adding it because the behaviour is so strange in the Titan. When I had the Ford, the truck did not leave 10th gear while cruising on the highway. This same highway would cause the Titan to downshift one or sometimes two gears when climbing a hill. And this is not a result of insufficient power in the Titan as I can accelerate while climbing these same hills without cruise engaged in top gear with absolutely no problem. This is simply a very annoying quirk with the cruise control module in the Titan and it should be corrected in my opinion.
UPDATE: I had the dealership apply the latest TSBís on the Titan and it did improve the cruise control system considerably.

Towing
I would love to have had the opportunity to tow with the Ford. I have no doubt given that 5.0 and the 10 speed that towing would probably have felt effortless for that truck. I would be curious to feel the differences in stability between the two. The Titan has a significant weight advantage and larger brakes which I would imagine would help it feel more controlled when towing. I have always found the Titan to be an excellent tow vehicle.

Final thoughts
I think the margin between the comparable trims offered by Nissan and Ford are far closer in capability than the media would have you believe. The SV and XLT trims of these vehicles feel equally comparable but the Ford does start to pull away quickly in the higher trim levels. The platinum reserve does not compete with the luxury trim levels the Ford has to offer.

In the 80s and 90s, corporations used to buy IBM computers because ďnobody ever got fired for buying IBMĒ. There were equally as good clones out there that often would outperform the IBM for significantly less money, but that didnít matter.
I feel like this is true for most domestic truck owners.

If someone is looking for an alternative to an XLT or equivalent trim level RAM or GM offering, they should look at the Titan (at least with comparable engine options).

Cheers,
-Rob
Attached Thumbnails
2019 F-150 XLT 5.0 vs 2018 Titan SV premium review-windowsticker.jpg  

Last edited by Rob J; 06-10-2019 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Added attachment
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob J For This Useful Post:
LaxDfns15 (06-10-2019), Tristan Downey (06-11-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Re: 2019 F-150 XLT 5.0 vs 2018 Titan SV premium review

Always good to sit in another truck for a while and form another opinion. I always dread being given a Chevy truck as a rental. I usually don't get an apples to apples comparison of trim levels, but I've never liked a single Chevy truck I've rented (about 5 different ones).

2008 PRO-4X KC
No chrome, custom 3" lift, Black Rhino Sidewinder 18x9's, 295/70/R18 Pathfinder AT's, Pioneer HU+Two Kicker Comp 12's, LED lights inside and out, Defiant light bar, 32" curved LED bar, amber 20" LED bar, AirAid MXP, Cajun exhaust
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:09 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)

I have my own comparison Rob, my Jeep is in for service and the dealer gave me a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn thatís appointed nicely, when my son got in it to bring home it had only about 20 miles and he too was the first loaner customer. I drove it to dinner found I didnít like the comfort or view and too much needless crap there. Who needs electric parking brakes etc? So after dinner I drove it straight back home and got the Titan to finish off the night. I put about a whole 7-8 miles on it and done, itís here until a week from Wednesday and anyone at the house is free to drive it but I wonít drive it again.
I am not a fan of the auto stop engine nor the cylinder deactivation which narrows my choices anyway. I didnít go over it like you did, you were very thorough and Iíd think the Ford has the Ram beat.
We all really do have a great truck.

Clint

1991 Mazda Miata Limited Edition
2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Yellow Jacket
2014 Nissan Sentra SR
2016 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition
2018 Nissan Titan SV Crew Cab 4X4
2018 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clint For This Useful Post:
Rob J (06-10-2019), Titan332009 (06-18-2019)
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

I currently own a 2018 F150 XLT and did own a 2017 Titan Pro 4X for a short period of time. IMO there is no doubt that overall the Titan is a better built truck. Much better interior materials, more comfortable seats, exterior panels seem to fit together better without abnormal gaps. 7 speed trans shifts more smoothly (when operating properly). A 48K Titan is going to be better equipped than a 48K F150. If it wasn't for that damn fluttering RPM problem I had with my Titan, I would still be driving it. My wife's 2017 Armada's transmission with 40,000 miles shifts great. I am the only one in my household that does not drive a Nissan. We just recently bought my daughter a 2019 Altima and even it has impressive interior materials and the zero gravity seats in it are great. My F150 is hard plastic every where you touch except the door armrests and the center console. I might give the Titan another try in the future. That is the reason I still visit the forum regularly. Just keeping an eye out for how things are going.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to munkeebutt For This Useful Post:
Clint (06-10-2019), Rob J (06-10-2019)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkeebutt View Post
I currently own a 2018 F150 XLT and did own a 2017 Titan Pro 4X for a short period of time. IMO there is no doubt that overall the Titan is a better built truck. Much better interior materials, more comfortable seats, exterior panels seem to fit together better without abnormal gaps. 7 speed trans shifts more smoothly (when operating properly). A 48K Titan is going to be better equipped than a 48K F150. If it wasn't for that damn fluttering RPM problem I had with my Titan, I would still be driving it. My wife's 2017 Armada's transmission with 40,000 miles shifts great. I am the only one in my household that does not drive a Nissan. We just recently bought my daughter a 2019 Altima and even it has impressive interior materials and the zero gravity seats in it are great. My F150 is hard plastic every where you touch except the door armrests and the center console. I might give the Titan another try in the future. That is the reason I still visit the forum regularly. Just keeping an eye out for how things are going.

The Titan gets the **** end of the stick by automotive journalists and Iím not sure why.
Is it because Nissan doesnít fly them all over the place to showcase their products?

I do see a common thread where the top of the line trucks are what is sent in for review. In this scenario, the Titan doesnít hold up very well. But these trucks are also not representative of what I see people driving around in. People drive SV and XLT trims. These are the trucks that should be reviewed and compared with each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

IMO, current automotive journalists base much of their opinion on sales numbers. To put this in perspective, McDonald's sells more cheeseburgers than any other fast foot restaurant. However, they are not the best tasting or most satisfying burger out there.....there are better tasting, more satisfying burgers that just don't sell quite as well.

Last edited by '17RedPro4x; 06-10-2019 at 06:39 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2019 F-150 XLT 5.0 vs 2018 Titan SV premium review

Add to that the fact that the domestic dealerships are far more abundant especially in rural areas.
Iíve read that some members on this forum drive hours to get to the Nissan dealership.

Kind of like your McDonaldís analogy. Theyíre just so abundant. It may not be the best but itís convenient and not the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage

Thanks for posting your review experience. It was well done. I read the car magazines. I've done so since I was in Jr High. But I wonder how many people actually buy based on the comparison methods typically employed by those guys. Perhaps I'm unique but most of my car buying experience has involved comparisons between old and new, not new vs new. Let's say you have a car or SUV. After 3 - 5 years you seek to replace it. In my case I compare the "new" option against what I already have. I guess it'd be great to just go and test out all the sedan options or even SUV options like the magazines do. Who has the time for that? Instead I took my old car and found a similar new model to test. If I was satisfied with the "new" features (and the price) I bought it. If I wasn't I looked for a different brand.

When I bought my truck the only other trucks I'd personally experienced were those of friends and my brother-in-laws -- which were about 5 years old or more. Compared to those my new truck is heads and shoulders above. Even compared with my 4 year old BMW X5 I was impressed. My friends and family never fail to compliment the truck and assume I paid 15-25k more than I did.

Maybe I'm alone in this approach. But the only cross-shopping I considered was price. I wasn't willing to spend more than a set amount for a new truck. In fact based on that I assumed I'd only be getting a mid-size truck. But the Nissan Titan (and the price offered by the dealer) won me over. The ride, the look, the features, the tactile feel -- these things confirm for me that my decision to buy a Titan was well considered.

2018 Mercedes E400
2017 Nissan Titan SV
2013 BMW X5
2010 Porsche Cayman S
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tristan Downey For This Useful Post:
Clint (06-11-2019), HMX Dave (06-12-2019), Rob J (06-11-2019)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
I rented an f150 to drive for a week before I bought my 17 Titan..

Aside from some cool gadgets they are over priced and over rated....

Saved coin and a happy enough Titan owner...

2016 Titan XD Gas Pro 4x
2017 Titan SL 2wd
2018 Armada Plat 2wd
The Following User Says Thank You to KenedyTXTitan For This Useful Post:
Rob J (06-11-2019)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by '17RedPro4x View Post
IMO, current automotive journalists base much of their opinion on sales numbers. To put this in perspective, McDonald's sells more cheeseburgers than any other fast foot restaurant. However, they are not the best tasting or most satisfying burger out there.....there are better tasting, more satisfying burgers that just don't sell quite as well.
Well said and also consider that many of these magazines and reviewers count on marketing funds from the paying automakers...

Imagine what would happen to Motor Trend magazine if they raved about the Titan..

2016 Titan XD Gas Pro 4x
2017 Titan SL 2wd
2018 Armada Plat 2wd
The Following User Says Thank You to KenedyTXTitan For This Useful Post:
HMX Dave (06-12-2019)
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
I drove several F150’s and a few Rams before I bought the Titan.

F150 has better acceleration than any, but the 10 speed trans seems like it was always shifting. Interior felt cheap.

Ram’s interior experience was the best. Nicest materials, smoothest ride, largest, flat rear floor with extra compartments, reclining rear seats. Styling was blah unless you buy a Limited.

Almost bought both before I got the Titan, but dealers wouldn’t come down enough from their ridiculous pricing.

Titan has done ok so far. Only have about 8000 on it. If it wasn’t for the interior rattles that have popped up I’d be singing its praises. Titan has a really nice interior and smooth ride also. Styling is a bit off, but really comes to life with the right wheels and tires. The Midnight Edition came out after I got mine. The outside is great, but they the interior is just all black like an S model. Almost traded on a Midnight SL and a Pro4x. If they make a Midnight Pro4x and update the styling I might try to trade in again.

I miss my Tahoe though. Full size SUVs are the way to go unless you just have to have a bed. Unfortunately you can’t get a nicely equipped one for less than $60,000.

2017 SV 4x4

2.5" Front, 1.5" Rear lift
SPC UCA's
20x9 +12 Black Rhino Chase
305/55r20 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's

Last edited by Frankhenrylee; 06-11-2019 at 01:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankhenrylee For This Useful Post:
Rob J (06-11-2019)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:48 PM
Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Downey View Post
Thanks for posting your review experience. It was well done. I read the car magazines. I've done so since I was in Jr High. But I wonder how many people actually buy based on the comparison methods typically employed by those guys. Perhaps I'm unique but most of my car buying experience has involved comparisons between old and new, not new vs new. Let's say you have a car or SUV. After 3 - 5 years you seek to replace it. In my case I compare the "new" option against what I already have. I guess it'd be great to just go and test out all the sedan options or even SUV options like the magazines do. Who has the time for that? Instead I took my old car and found a similar new model to test. If I was satisfied with the "new" features (and the price) I bought it. If I wasn't I looked for a different brand.

When I bought my truck the only other trucks I'd personally experienced were those of friends and my brother-in-laws -- which were about 5 years old or more. Compared to those my new truck is heads and shoulders above. Even compared with my 4 year old BMW X5 I was impressed. My friends and family never fail to compliment the truck and assume I paid 15-25k more than I did.

Maybe I'm alone in this approach. But the only cross-shopping I considered was price. I wasn't willing to spend more than a set amount for a new truck. In fact based on that I assumed I'd only be getting a mid-size truck. But the Nissan Titan (and the price offered by the dealer) won me over. The ride, the look, the features, the tactile feel -- these things confirm for me that my decision to buy a Titan was well considered.
Thatís an interesting way of looking at purchasing a vehicle. It worked well for you each time so keep it going.

Clint

2014 Nissan Sentra SR
2018 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
The Following User Says Thank You to Clint For This Useful Post:
Tristan Downey (06-12-2019)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Finally got some time to read your review. Very good review. We can all take away from your experience and pick things we agree on (I choose most) and not.

My friend has a 2019 Ford F150 and he let me drive it around last week. I also have a 2017 Ford Explorer in the family (not a truck per se) but gives you the Ford cabin feel which tbh is just a more compact version of the F150 layout.

FORD:
I found his F150 to look nice on the outside and it drove ok. Nothing that shocked me as it rode fine, he gets better gas mileage, it was just a truck. But he paid more than I did and it's a basic white crew cab. I think its the XLT with some added convenience items. They have so many mind numbing levels. I think we all agree Nissan should have at least one or two more engine type sizes but man Ford has all kinds and you really have to read the fine print on the vehicle you look. They have 100s, 200s, 300s and then certain package levels which add or take away features at even the higher price points. When my family member bought her Explorer, she got the 150A with (I believe) the add on sport convenience package on her XLT. So she got that because she wanted the blind spot monitor, leather seats, and the bigger display. Again, this was almost 2 years ago and I don't remember specifics but I find their whole pricing/trim level strategy to be quite sneaky.

TITAN:
I don't know if you guys have experienced this, but in my 2017 PR, anytime I get new people in the truck they always comment on how nice it either looks or how nice the seats are even with the more upright rear seats. Had a few people while I was getting gas tell me the truck looks "really good" which always is a bonus. I actually agree about the "getting in" to the Titan, thats what I love about it. Im a taller dude and I love the fact when I get in it feels like I'm in the truck instead of that on the truck feeling like the F150. Pretty much my only negatives and they were things I knew going in but didn't deter me were:

-Small screen
-Gas mileage unless you granny it in non-highway spots

The rest sure there are some issues but all my warranty items have been quickly handled by my Nissan dealer and I love how the truck rides. My biggest thing was also PRICE. If I was buying a new truck I wanted a good price and the Titan was never really on my radar. It was mainly Ford and Chevy just from seeing them and from folks I know having them. When I was jumping from my Frontier, I happened across the 2017s comparison and they had the Titan at the very bottom of the list. I remember reading some negatives like "poor gas mileage, cabin feels cheap, smaller rear cabin area than rivals, one engine option, lower towing capacity".

Then you read into the actual specs on the truck and the poor gas mileage is relative to the engine types and, expect for some of the Ford variants, and I believe the Chevy/Ram, Tundra wasn't doing anything else special. Then, on the cabin, I was like... well I've been in some other basic Nissans (like my SV Frontier) that had almost nothing tech wise and it was just fine. On my test drive of the PR, I was like... this doesn't really feel that cheap. I looked into seat measurements and they take them from the standard positions... which actually put the Titan near the middle of the pack against other crew cabs. engine option oh well. Lastly, the lower towing capacity... I was like well I know I will tow but I may only come across a few times in my life time where the "max" would be an issue.

And now I'm here. Lol.

2017 Titan Platinum Reserve - 4x4 - Java Metallic
Mods:
Front license plate delete - color match plugs added
Ceramic Tint - 5% Rears, 35% Front Windows, 50% Windshield
LED white upgrades to fog lights, interior map lights, reverse lights.

1995 Nissan 300ZX - Black - 2+0 - NA
Ceramic Tint - 5% Rear, 20% Front Windows, 50% Windshield
LED white upgrade to low beams
The Following User Says Thank You to LeaninBack916 For This Useful Post:
Rob J (06-17-2019)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:22 PM
Premium User

I still have the new Ram loaner in my driveway and the closest Iíve come to driving it is to pass by it in my Titan,lol. My son has been using it and said it drinks gas more than my truck and doesnít have the get up and go like mine either. He said it also doesnít have as good of an exhaust note as well. Heís a car guy, he was working for Porsche and now at Tesla.

Clint

2014 Nissan Sentra SR
2018 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Jump to top