After Market CarPlay Adapters - Nissan Titan Forum
Electronics Electronic components related to the new 2016 Nissan Titan.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
After Market CarPlay Adapters

Has anyone added Apple CarPlay to a second generation Titan? It's the one thing about my truck that I don't love. Does anyone have any feedback or suggested routes to take. Below is a third party adapter I've been researching recently.

Demo Video:

Product Page:
NISSAN TITAN 2016 2016 2017 2018 NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE with BUILT-IN HD SMARTPHONE MIRRORING via HDMI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Re: After Market CarPlay Adapters

Subb'ed. I'd love to learn more about this as well.

2017 Titan CC 4x4 SL
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by admire View Post
Subb'ed. I'd love to learn more about this as well.
I found some feedback on other forums. Looking a jeep & dodge forums there are mixed reviews. Some guys describe it as simple & effective and got great support. Others say they were shipped (or likely ordered) the wrong thing and it was difficult getting things returned/exchanged. I think the concept is solid if you're ok with having to use the remote instead of the touch screen. Hopefully someone here with more expertise in electronics will speak up.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebatutis View Post
I found some feedback on other forums. Looking a jeep & dodge forums there are mixed reviews. Some guys describe it as simple & effective and got great support. Others say they were shipped (or likely ordered) the wrong thing and it was difficult getting things returned/exchanged. I think the concept is solid if you're ok with having to use the remote instead of the touch screen. Hopefully someone here with more expertise in electronics will speak up.
I agree, not sure about using a remote. Has anyone figured out a solution?

I ordered this today to try:

2017 CC Platinum Reserve
UpRev Tuned

(Sold)2005 CC SE
KMA(TAG) Bumpers, Bilstein 5100s, PRO 4X Springs, UpRev Performance, JBA Headers, Cajun B-pipes, Tekonsha P3 Trailer Brake control, Borla 400436 SS Muffler, Halo Headlights, JB LEDs, 325/60R18 Copper STTs....

Last edited by trevtitan; 09-04-2018 at 05:33 AM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevtitan View Post
I agree, not sure about using a remote. Has anyone figured out a solution?

I ordered this today to try: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Are the stock Nissan radios Android based?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018TitanPRO4X View Post
Are the stock Nissan radios Android based?
I'm hoping so.

2017 CC Platinum Reserve
UpRev Tuned

(Sold)2005 CC SE
KMA(TAG) Bumpers, Bilstein 5100s, PRO 4X Springs, UpRev Performance, JBA Headers, Cajun B-pipes, Tekonsha P3 Trailer Brake control, Borla 400436 SS Muffler, Halo Headlights, JB LEDs, 325/60R18 Copper STTs....
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I'm hoping so.
Please let us know how it works out.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
I'm hoping so.
Bump...Any updates on how the adapter worked out? I have an iPhone connected via Bluetooth to the factory nav and it's barely passable. I mean, it works, sound comes out of the speakers...but for 2018, it's complete garbage, and don't even get me started on the disaster that is Nissan Connect. How could the engineering team responsible for the infotainment system think it's acceptable to put a system like this in a $55k truck? Those people should be fired!! No wonder they are being smoked by the competition. Had I not gotten $15k off my Titan, I'd probably be looking elsewhere. Of course, as soon as I purchased my 2018, Nissan announced they are adding Apple Car Play and Android Auto to the 2019's so I'm hoping this can be a temporary measure until I figure out if the new nav units can be swapped into the 2018's.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage

So many affordable aftermarket head units with CarPlay and better sound out now why not go that route? I spent more than than most would need/want to in upgrading my sound system - could have gotten a $300 head unit installed and been done if CarPlay was all I wanted.

2017 Nissan Titan SV 4x4 Crew Cab
Cayenne Red w/Tan Interior
Dirty Ape
Dayton, OH
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyApe View Post
So many affordable aftermarket head units with CarPlay and better sound out now why not go that route? I spent more than than most would need/want to in upgrading my sound system - could have gotten a $300 head unit installed and been done if CarPlay was all I wanted.
Thanks DirtyApe. I'm considering an aftermarket head unit. Pioneer, Alpine, Sony and Kenwood have some nice Double Din units that would fit into the Titan with just a dash kit, wiring harness and antenna adapter. I would still need to buy a separate adapter to retain steering wheel controls but that should not be an issue. I used to install car stereos at Circuit City when I was in college and we had adapters to integrate and retain just about all factory systems but back then cars were a lot simpler. My hope was to keep the factory nav look and just upgrade the speakers. What did you end up putting in yours?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage

I went with a Kenwood unit - you can see pics and specs in this thread:

https://www.titantalk.com/forums/ele...et-stereo.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsutigers View Post
Thanks DirtyApe. I'm considering an aftermarket head unit. Pioneer, Alpine, Sony and Kenwood have some nice Double Din units that would fit into the Titan with just a dash kit, wiring harness and antenna adapter. I would still need to buy a separate adapter to retain steering wheel controls but that should not be an issue. I used to install car stereos at Circuit City when I was in college and we had adapters to integrate and retain just about all factory systems but back then cars were a lot simpler. My hope was to keep the factory nav look and just upgrade the speakers. What did you end up putting in yours?

2017 Nissan Titan SV 4x4 Crew Cab
Cayenne Red w/Tan Interior
Dirty Ape
Dayton, OH
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)

I intend on sourcing a 2019 Titan HU when they're available to purchase and that has Carplay. I'm assuming the plugs will remain the same between the two HU's, and since I have the around view monitor I'm hoping there's no discontinuity in functionality. Not sure when that'll be possible, but I'll update when I find out!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA02MAX View Post
I intend on sourcing a 2019 Titan HU when they're available to purchase and that has Carplay. I'm assuming the plugs will remain the same between the two HU's, and since I have the around view monitor I'm hoping there's no discontinuity in functionality. Not sure when that'll be possible, but I'll update when I find out!
Keep us posted. I am waiting for the 19's to drop so I can look into this as well, if it doesn't work I will definitely go aftermarket. DirtyApe's Kenwood install looks really nice and the aftermarket features are so much better than factory, it's almost not even worth retrofitting, especially considering what it will probably cost to get a 2019 Nav system from Nissan. Makes you wonder why manufacturers don't hire these aftermarket consumer electronics companies to produce their OEM nav systems. Instead they go with crappy systems from Panasonic, Harman Kardon, QNEX (owned by BlackBerry), etc... that have limited functionality. We'll see...
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsutigers View Post
Keep us posted. I am waiting for the 19's to drop so I can look into this as well, if it doesn't work I will definitely go aftermarket. DirtyApe's Kenwood install looks really nice and the aftermarket features are so much better than factory, it's almost not even worth retrofitting, especially considering what it will probably cost to get a 2019 Nav system from Nissan. Makes you wonder why manufacturers don't hire these aftermarket consumer electronics companies to produce their OEM nav systems. Instead they go with crappy systems from Panasonic, Harman Kardon, QNEX (owned by BlackBerry), etc... that have limited functionality. We'll see...
I have no issue with the system in the 8th gen maxima, which looks exactly like the system in the 2019 titan, and I prefer to keep the dash OEM looking. The filler for a double din aftermarket HU is a little too much plastic for my liking. The system in my 2018 titan is pretty dated, though....I'd love an upgrade.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA02MAX View Post

I would be interested in trying this too. As Someone above mentioned, hopefully it is Android based. Might just be as simple as a software upgrade.

2018 Titan SL Midnight Edition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Jump to top