2019 Radio swap - Nissan Titan Forum
Electronics Electronic components related to the new 2016 Nissan Titan.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2019 Radio swap

Does anyone know if the 2019 radio will be a direct swap with the 2018? I've been looking at the 2018s now with the good rebates, but have been concerned with the poor stereo/interface. I understand the 19s have a revamped stereo and CarPlay etc, but obviously the rebates aren’t out on the 2019s yet. Any one have any idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Re: 2019 Radio swap

the million dollar question!! Apple Carplay/Android auto (and the other 2-3 items that are available for the 2019 over 2018 models) is definitely not worth giving up the incentives that are offered on year end models now.

Having said that, I would love to know also.

Does anyone know the part number for the radio in the 2018 and 2019? Depending on the cost of a 2019 radio, I wouldn't mind trying it out.

I'm not having much luck finding diagrams of the 2018 or 2019 radios, to see if the wiring at least is the same.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

It sounds like this time next year is going to be a good time to buy, especially if the Titans remain cold through the year. Plus, it looks like Nissan will have gotten most of the kinks out of the new design by then. Car and Driver did a long term test on a 2016 Titan XD and they were extremely disappointed with all of the issues they had with the truck.
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaSwamp View Post
It sounds like this time next year is going to be a good time to buy, especially if the Titans remain cold through the year. Plus, it looks like Nissan will have gotten most of the kinks out of the new design by then. Car and Driver did a long term test on a 2016 Titan XD and they were extremely disappointed with all of the issues they had with the truck.
Do you mean Buy the radio or the truck this time next year?

Cause most of us already have the truck 🙂

2018 Titan SL Midnight Edition
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanmidnight View Post
the million dollar question!! Apple Carplay/Android auto (and the other 2-3 items that are available for the 2019 over 2018 models) is definitely not worth giving up the incentives that are offered on year end models now.

Having said that, I would love to know also.

Does anyone know the part number for the radio in the 2018 and 2019? Depending on the cost of a 2019 radio, I wouldn't mind trying it out.

I'm not having much luck finding diagrams of the 2018 or 2019 radios, to see if the wiring at least is the same.
I agree, just looking to avoid having to gut the system and go aftermarket. I enjoy my music and would like to keep the stock look, but all I keep reading is how bad the infotainment system is
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 03:00 AM

yeah, ill keep it as is, rather than go aftermarket. personally, carplay/android auto isnt worth the $1000 (probably closer to $2000 or more) it would cost. especially if i may lose the steering wheel controls.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:

The truck, which is going to have the new Fender system in it. I'm surprised Nissan didn't take care of this in the 2016 redesign. The R/F system is okay, but it's nothing to write home about. There are much better OEM audio systems out there.

Year end usually brings some good deals on the Titan. I got my 2015 in the Fall and they cut me a great deal. From what I've read, Nissan has solved a lot of the early issues with the 2nd generation, starting with the transmission.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaSwamp View Post
Quote:

The truck, which is going to have the new Fender system in it. I'm surprised Nissan didn't take care of this in the 2016 redesign. The R/F system is okay, but it's nothing to write home about. There are much better OEM audio systems out there.

Year end usually brings some good deals on the Titan. I got my 2015 in the Fall and they cut me a great deal. From what I've read, Nissan has solved a lot of the early issues with the 2nd generation, starting with the transmission.
That's fair, and I agree. These things (and a lot of others) should have been in the 2016 redesign. It was the chance to get more people to switch from other brands.

For most of us though, we already have the truck now (I got a decent deal on end of model year 2018 last month) and I definitely would not have bought it at anything close to MSRP. Too many other trucks that offer more for that price.

I don't mind spending a few hundred at most to upgrade the stereo to add carplay etc, but it's not worth more than that.

If it's a few grand, I'd rather put the money towards a trade in to another truck that does offer those features and a lot of others.

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)

My 2018's infotainment is a little dated, but it's not awful and certainly not a deal breaker for how great the rest of the truck is. I pretty much exclusively run bluetooth audio or plug my iphone into the USB port and I have no connectivity issues and the system responds quickly. Really, the thing that makes it dated is the screen's resolution and the text graphics. It's definitely livable. Also I, personally, dislike CarPlay and disable it in any vehicle that has it.... I'll definitely look into upgrading to a 2019 headunit in the future, but only because of the screen resolution and updated layout/maps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LA02MAX For This Useful Post:
Bobby Villines (12-30-2018), Titan332009 (12-15-2018)
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

It will be interesting to hear when someone actually gives this a try.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. When I was shopping, I had already knocked Titan off my list sight unseen because of the lousy electronics. I'm a computer engineer, and electronic toys are important to me. I had already upgraded my 2012 Chev with a nice JVC head unit. Had to do a little bit of extra wiring with it to keep all of the existing rear entertainment, cameras, Bose sound working correctly. I figured I wasn't going to do all that again.

Funny thing was I drove every other pickup out there, and they all left me feeling "meh". So i dropped by my local Nissan dealer and took a Titan for a spin. Yup, the electronics are pretty crappy (I already knew this from DW's '16 Juke). But that exhaust note had me hooked, and it was by far the most comfortable truck I had driven over the prior 2 weeks. The killer year end pricing on the Midnight Edition was icing on the cake; I paid less than I paid for my '12, and its a whole lot more truck.

IMO it's going to be a bit of a crap shoot if the '19 head unit will work in the '18. The basic trim unit is a maybe because it has standard type connections for the head unit, but the navigation heads or better participate on the Canbus and integrate to the Body Control Unit, which looks after all kinds of other things (ex: you can do all the car settings through the radio controls). So your '18 BCU possibly won't know how to talk to the '19 HU without a flash to the BCU first, if such a thing is even possible (and how much will Nissan charge for it?)

I guess to me the question is, is it really necessary to upgrade? I'm starting to think not.

If you are on Android, then with a decent quality phone you don't really need Android on the head unit - it runs on the phone. My Galaxy S9+ integrates pretty well to the head unit over bluetooth and with a good quality mount (I use a Scosche) it's like having another 60ish % more screen real estate. Android Auto starts on the phone automatically when it pairs to the truck, so as soon as I hit the ignition it is ready to go. The steering wheel controls work well with the phone; but you need to remember when it's better to say "Hey Google" (what's the weather, or tell me a joke). We actually tried using my tablet on a longer trip in the Juke, but that ended up being just a bit TOO much screen space. But a Galaxy Note might be about the perfect size option. I'd even put it up against the giant screen in the '19 RAM for usability.

At this point, I'm going to wait and see for the Titan. If Nissan or a 3rd party come out with a head unit that integrates with the BCU and maintains all of the setting controls from the current head unit, I might jump. I don't really need the Nissan Nav - I much prefer Google Maps/Waze anyway, so I would be more than willing to give that up.

I pulled the JVC from the Chev before trading and am installing it in DW's Juke for X-mas (it only has a 4" screen so really needs some help). Again, lots of custom wiring as no one seems to make a wiring harness that fits the Juke properly (close, so I just have to re-pin a few things). Looking forward to cracking the dash open...

Last edited by bankr63; 12-15-2018 at 02:31 PM.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 09:08 AM

maybe im asking for a lot, and android auto wont be able to fix the issues, but even if i have my phone connected via bluetooth, i cant change playlists via the nissan headunit, i can only cycle through the songs in the playlist i am in. also, when get back in the truck, it doesnt automatically start playing again, i have to physically press play on my phone first, and then the HU can control the songs etc.

Also, I dont want to have to get a mount for my cell phone and have it visible all the time. i prefer the clean look. Sometimes its a quick drive im going for, or getting in and out when running errands, and it gets annoying having to put your phone in the mount and take it out etc over and over.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Take a look at the Scosche Qi charger mount. If your phone has Qi charging, you just basically toss the phone in the general direction of the mount and it sticks and charges. Grab it as you get out of the car. I exaggerate just a bit (it does have to oriented upright for the Qi to work), but it is pretty much that easy. But no, it is not as clean a look. (The Qi is on my x-mas list, I have a regular magnetic mount right now).

Note that even with a full on aftermarket head unit, the integration is less than perfect. I had the JVC KW-V830BT in my Chev (current model is the 840, and it is near the top of their lineup). There were still some hiccups in AA integration even with a fully AA aware head unit. I would read reviews carefully for any unit you are considering to see if you can live with the rough edges. One particular line is notorious for needing users to reboot their iPhone every time they plug in and run Apple Carplay; now THAT would drive me insane!
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 04:52 AM

I like the idea of the wireless charger. Forget which truck I was looking at, I think had a wireless charger, which is really cool. Put it in the console or arm rest area.

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 04:52 AM

Yeah, if I had to reboot my phone each time, i would toss something out. The phone or the stereo. 🙂

post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Coming from someone who just did the 2014 to 2018 radio upgrade in my Ram before I traded it, I can say we may have a sporting chance for this to be effective. Assuming the fit is exact physically. Wiring harness will be always be a little bit of a complication. With the ram we were lucky enough to have someone on the forum who opened his own side business making harnesses for mods on the forum. His products were great.

I can promise we will all need new USB hubs as Android auto and carplay require very detailed data packages to be carried that is different from what our trucks (and the Rams) have that just carries the data packages matched for Apple products and Bluetooth phone and audio etc. I've seen a few photos of the 19s and they most definitely have new USB hubs.

We are blessed to not have any crazy core components of our trucks run through our radios. That was more than half the battle with the Rams having HVAC controls, lighting setting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Jump to top