Buying 05Titan? - Nissan Titan Forum
New Member Introductions Are you new to TitianTalk.com forum? Post up and introduction to yourself , and meet new members in this section.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Buying 05Titan?

Hi, great forum! I might buy a 05 Titan with 163,000 miles. Seems to run strong. I’m a little concerned about rear differential and and because of what I read here. I’m going to check it carefully. Check diff fluid look for seal leaks and drive in tight circles listening for diff noises. Any other things to look for. I’m going spending all I’ve got. Pray for the best!
Thanks to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: Buying 05Titan?

There is a sticky on early model problems. Most are easy fixes if you have intermediate mechanical skills. The main one to watch out for is the exhaust mani's. If it doesn't have LT headers on it there either is or will be a problem. If you hear whining from the RD stay away or be prepared to replace. Rear seals are a pain but easy to fix. Brakes are not good on the pre '08, if that is a problem for you there is a fix it just cost some $.

I've had my '04 since new and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. However, I wouldn't be looking forward to the exhaust mani swap.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Buying 05Titan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloM View Post
There is a sticky on early model problems. Most are easy fixes if you have intermediate mechanical skills. The main one to watch out for is the exhaust mani's. If it doesn't have LT headers on it there either is or will be a problem. If you hear whining from the RD stay away or be prepared to replace. Rear seals are a pain but easy to fix. Brakes are not good on the pre '08, if that is a problem for you there is a fix it just cost some $.

I've had my '04 since new and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. However, I wouldn't be looking forward to the exhaust mani swap.
You and me both. My 05 still hasn't had the known exhaust issues but I'm sure it is just a matter of time =P

2005 Titan LE CC *WAS* "Red Alert!" but now... she's wearing "Galaxy Black"
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Thank you sirs. Checked everything seemed perfect so I bought it. Drove it home shut it off. Tried to start it 5 minutes later. Cranks but won’t start, all day. This morning started up instantly😁. Bad ECM/ECU?
I’m somewhat mechanically inclined. I don’t have a code reader (yet).
Any ideas are appreciated.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Did the check engine light come on? If not, not likely any codes to be read. What you'll need to do is figure out what's missing when it won't start. It's either spark, fuel, air, compression, or timing. Not likely timing, as these trucks work off of coil packs and timing is controlled by the computer. I'd start by checking the battery, as dying batteries are particularly hard on these trucks and cause some odd symptoms. Just have it checked to be sure. Then start looking at fuel pressure, all the electrical connections, and maybe check out your plugs and coils/boots.

Last edited by dubyam; 04-14-2019 at 04:31 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

That should keep me busy for awhile. I connected a fuel pressure gauge at the left rail where the chiltons manual said to ( I think) (can’t find anything that specifically shows where to connect fuel pressure gauge.)and had zero pressure when cranking engine. I can hear the fuel pump engage when the key is on.
I didn’t do anything now it starts right up every time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Jump to top