04 titan radio replacement - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan FAQ & How to Area This area servers as a holding place for all FAQ entires, and Howto Articles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
04 titan radio replacement

replaced original am/fm/cd player with oem radio.Volume is weak and very static. help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Re: 04 titan radio replacement

You replaced the original radio with an OEM radio? Isn't that the same thing? Did you originally have the Rockford Fosgate 10 speaker system with 6-CD changer and subwoofer under the driver's seat? If so, you have an amp that needs to be switched on. I don't know a lot about this, as I'm in the middle of upgrading my radio with an aftermarket touch-screen radio right now. I have a 2005 Titan LE Crew Cab with the Rockford Fosgate system, and I'm having a lot of fun figuring out all the wiring on the upgrade.

I also purchased two ground loop isolators to keep static and hum to a minimum (don't know if I needed them but lots of people on the forums end up getting them.) I know that this system has an amplifier that runs between the radio harness and the speakers, and it must be "switched on" by the radio. My new radio has a blue wire labeled "power antenna/amp-on" so it can be used for either. I will have to connect that wire from my radio to the same wire in my aftermarket harness (Metra 70-7551). If you are installing another original equipment manufacturer (OEM) radio, is it one from another Titan? If so, does it match your original or is it a different model? That could explain some things.

As I said, I don't have much experience with this but I saw your post and wanted to chime in about the possibility of your Titan having an amp that isn't working correctly. Probably not your issue, as I believe you would not hear anything at all if the amp were not switched on.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage

Did your truck come with an aftermarket stereo and you bought an OEM radio to replace it? Not really a lot of information there.

Bobbert is right above. I agree that it sounds you got a NON-RockfordFosgate, when you actually have the Rockford Fosgate system off the bat. So, it's not turning on the amp and not sending the lower pre-amp speaker voltages, etc.

Also a possibilty that you got a bad replacement, too. It happens.

12 Titan SV 2WD
Navy Blue
Charcoal Interior
-Gibson 8100 exhaust
-Pioneer x491,w sirius svx300
-tailgate actuator lock
-backup camera
-ebay CAI, enclosed filter
-front and rear exterior LED light bulbs
- smoked tail light housings
- 2nd Gen style tube headlights

Last edited by steely123; 05-06-2019 at 07:20 AM.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:05 AM

I may have been my own worst enemy. I finished connecting everything yesterday and my radio (BOSS Audio) comes on for 1.5 seconds and shuts off. It's still sitting on the center console with all the wiring hanging everywhere. I figured I would have "some" issue, having run a camera wire from the rear end, wired a steering wheel control adapter into the harness, and added two ground loop isolators to the RCA jacks. Oh well. Maybe it's just s bad connection either from accessory power or full-time power. I can turn the key to accessory, and nothing happens to the radio (no lights). Even over to "ON" and same thing. But, I can have the key either way and reach over and hit the radio power button, and it's screen lights up blue with RADIO showing in the upper corner, and I can just barely hear some static, and then it goes off. I can turn it right back on but it does the same thing. I don't even have time to turn the volume up or hit another button.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:12 PM

Garage

Bobbert,

Sounds like you may have a ground issue. Make sure you Boss stereo's ground is definitely separate to chassis. I always use the crossbar behind the dash and AC tubes. It's fine if you use a heavy duty ground block for multiple grounds, instead of a "wire ball" of a bunch of grounds tied together.

the truck's wiring harness ground sucks. I'm sure you got the 7551 adapter rcas plugged into the PRE-AMP output jacks on your Boss also? I made the mistake on my Maxima with the Bose system and put them to the powered rcas, didn't fair well for me.

The Maxima was an easy fix, I just bought a 5 channel amp and ran the woofer and speakers off that. And my Frontier and Titan didn't have the upgraded systems. God help me when I tackle our Rogue and the Bose there. I think i might trade it in, when it comes to that point. LOL.

Now, keep in mind all issues are not the same. Above is just the most common things in audio to cause the stated issues. But start with the best ground absolutely possible, and go from there.

12 Titan SV 2WD
Navy Blue
Charcoal Interior
-Gibson 8100 exhaust
-tailgate actuator lock
-backup camera

Last edited by steely123; 05-13-2019 at 01:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to steely123 For This Useful Post:
Bobbert9 (05-13-2019)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:15 PM

Garage

a couple threads I referenced while investigating. To give credit where it's due.

https://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...o-install.html

https://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...t-install.html

12 Titan SV 2WD
Navy Blue
Charcoal Interior
-Gibson 8100 exhaust
-tailgate actuator lock
-backup camera
Bobbert9 (05-13-2019)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steely123 View Post
Bobbert,

Sounds like you may have a ground issue. Make sure you Boss stereo's ground is definitely separate to chassis. I always use the crossbar behind the dash and AC tubes. It's fine if you use a heavy duty ground block for multiple grounds, instead of a "wire ball" of a bunch of grounds tied together.

the truck's wiring harness ground sucks. I'm sure you got the 7551 adapter rcas plugged into the PRE-AMP output jacks on your Boss also? I made the mistake on my Maxima with the Bose system and put them to the powered rcas, didn't fair well for me.

The Maxima was an easy fix, I just bought a 5 channel amp and ran the woofer and speakers off that. And my Frontier and Titan didn't have the upgraded systems. God help me when I tackle our Rogue and the Bose there. I think i might trade it in, when it comes to that point. LOL.

Now, keep in mind all issues are not the same. Above is just the most common things in audio to cause the stated issues. But start with the best ground absolutely possible, and go from there.
Okay. I do have the HU ground going through the harness, from the radio into the truck harness via the Metra 7551. So I can pull that radio ground from the harness and run it to the bar. I found a long screw, there's one on each side of that bar, that runs vertically down from the bar into more of the frame, also holding down a plastic part. I ran a wire to that screw for the axxess steering wheel adapter. I could also get a small ground bar to make it easy to ground more things.

I also wasn't sure about the amp. My radio has a blue amp/antenna lead, and I tied that into the appropriate 7551 lead. There's also an amp-ground lead on the Metra harness but I don't know if I need to wire it to anything, as the radio says nothing about an amp ground line. So I left it unconnected. I figured the amp was likely already grounded and just needed the "ON" lead.

I will start by re-wiring the HU to chassis ground. Maybe tomorrow after work I can try that. I saw on some of those threads you linked that people had fried their factory amp - I sure don't want that problem.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:17 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbert9 View Post
Okay. I do have the HU ground going through the harness, from the radio into the truck harness via the Metra 7551. So I can pull that radio ground from the harness and run it to the bar. I found a long screw, there's one on each side of that bar, that runs vertically down from the bar into more of the frame, also holding down a plastic part. I ran a wire to that screw for the axxess steering wheel adapter. I could also get a small ground bar to make it easy to ground more things.

I also wasn't sure about the amp. My radio has a blue amp/antenna lead, and I tied that into the appropriate 7551 lead. There's also an amp-ground lead on the Metra harness but I don't know if I need to wire it to anything, as the radio says nothing about an amp ground line. So I left it unconnected. I figured the amp was likely already grounded and just needed the "ON" lead.

I will start by re-wiring the HU to chassis ground. Maybe tomorrow after work I can try that. I saw on some of those threads you linked that people had fried their factory amp - I sure don't want that problem.

The ground issue would be #1 on the list, definitely.

After that, before re-wiring anything for the amp lead, if you have a multimeter or electrical tester you can check the harness at the amp under the seat to make sure it's getting power first. And if you find power there, then you're good and it's the speaker input issue. Those Metra harnesses are pretty good about labeling things correctly (WAY better than the labeling on Schoshe). But it's not always 100%.

12 Titan SV 2WD
Navy Blue
Charcoal Interior
-Gibson 8100 exhaust
-tailgate actuator lock
-backup camera
Bobbert9 (05-14-2019)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:28 AM

Garage

found this with wiring diagrams, so you know what color wires at the amp SHOULD be.

https://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...matic-fyi.html

12 Titan SV 2WD
Navy Blue
Charcoal Interior
-Gibson 8100 exhaust
-tailgate actuator lock
-backup camera
Bobbert9 (05-14-2019)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
found this with wiring diagrams, so you know what color wires at the amp SHOULD be.

https://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...matic-fyi.html
Big thanks! I'll get my multimeter out ...."

The Following User Says Thank You to Bobbert9 For This Useful Post:
steely123 (05-15-2019)
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:49 PM

Ok I'm back. I've been pretty sick so I had to take a week off the project. I grounded the radio directly to the chassis and that got the radio ON. I was able to play with the HU for about a half hour. Everything sounded great, all speakers worked and subwoofer was booming. Then I wanted to try my backup camera, so I put my foot on the break to move the shifter, and the sound cut out almost completely. I just thought I could barely hear it in the distance somewhere. I killed the ignition and reset everything and it came on again. I again tried the brake - same thing happened again. But now, the sound never comes back on. I've checked all my wires and all the fuses in the block inside the cab - all good. I checked all the inline fuses on the harness - good. I think the AMP has stopped working? Great. It's dark outside now so I can't mess with finding the power leads under the seat tonight. Please tell me I didn't kill the factory amp. If so I give up. This used to be fun when I was 15.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 05:38 AM

Garage

Quote:
Ok I'm back. I've been pretty sick so I had to take a week off the project. I grounded the radio directly to the chassis and that got the radio ON. I was able to play with the HU for about a half hour. Everything sounded great, all speakers worked and subwoofer was booming. Then I wanted to try my backup camera, so I put my foot on the break to move the shifter, and the sound cut out almost completely. I just thought I could barely hear it in the distance somewhere. I killed the ignition and reset everything and it came on again. I again tried the brake - same thing happened again. But now, the sound never comes back on. I've checked all my wires and all the fuses in the block inside the cab - all good. I checked all the inline fuses on the harness - good. I think the AMP has stopped working? Great. It's dark outside now so I can't mess with finding the power leads under the seat tonight. Please tell me I didn't kill the factory amp. If so I give up. This used to be fun when I was 15.

Damn, sorry you were sick man.

Now make sure your stereo reverse signal input is not connected to your amp turn out. They look VERY similar. Both blue with white, pioneer labels theirs with a tag. Some aftermarket amps have an overload cut off, so they don't blow any boards. Since Rockford fosgate is an aftermarket, maybe same thing. Hence the reset and it came back, just guessing.

Wiring had gotten extremely more complicated the days. Lol. You definitely have to do more research than just 2 power weights and a ground. Lol.

12 Titan SV 2WD
Navy Blue
Charcoal Interior
-Gibson 8100 exhaust
-tailgate actuator lock
-backup camera
Bobbert9 (05-18-2019)
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Damn, sorry you were sick man.

Now make sure your stereo reverse signal input is not connected to your amp turn out. They look VERY similar. Both blue with white, pioneer labels theirs with a tag. Some aftermarket amps have an overload cut off, so they don't blow any boards. Since Rockford fosgate is an aftermarket, maybe same thing. Hence the reset and it came back, just guessing.

Wiring had gotten extremely more complicated the days. Lol. You definitely have to do more research than just 2 power weights and a ground. Lol.
Well good news is I didn't kill anything. Turns out I didn't have enough battery left to run brake lights and radio and amp. Truck had sat for several weeks and I let the battery get too low to crank it, but I figured I just needed enough juice to tinker with the radio. After charging it up and starting it to let it run, everything works now. The camera was upside down so I had to fix that, but it's starting to look better now. I have to figure out the ASWC-1 steering wheel adapter now. I think it's read the truck right, but not the Boss radio (not on their list). They had somewhere to put it on 11, for Metra OE, so I did that. Controls still not working but the radio also has programmable steering wheel settings so maybe o have to mess with those.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:41 AM

Garage

Quote:
Well good news is I didn't kill anything. Turns out I didn't have enough battery left to run brake lights and radio and amp. Truck had sat for several weeks and I let the battery get too low to crank it, but I figured I just needed enough juice to tinker with the radio. After charging it up and starting it to let it run, everything works now. The camera was upside down so I had to fix that, but it's starting to look better now. I have to figure out the ASWC-1 steering wheel adapter now. I think it's read the truck right, but not the Boss radio (not on their list). They had somewhere to put it on 11, for Metra OE, so I did that. Controls still not working but the radio also has programmable steering wheel settings so maybe o have to mess with those.

Good that is was something simple. Electricity, like mother nature, is heartless. LOL.

I used the PAC SWI-RC instead, find it way easy. But found the Axxess instructions. Same pins used tho on the truck. And best to connect as directly to the wires as you can. The PAC didn't like running through the harness, I used T-Taps on the wires themselves. Works fine after that.

https://metradealer.com/files/aswc/ASWC-1_INST_850.pdf

12 Titan SV 2WD
Navy Blue
Charcoal Interior
-Gibson 8100 exhaust
-tailgate actuator lock
-backup camera
Bobbert9 (05-19-2019)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Good that is was something simple. Electricity, like mother nature, is heartless. LOL.

I used the PAC SWI-RC instead, find it way easy. But found the Axxess instructions. Same pins used tho on the truck. And best to connect as directly to the wires as you can. The PAC didn't like running through the harness, I used T-Taps on the wires themselves. Works fine after that.

https://metradealer.com/files/aswc/ASWC-1_INST_850.pdf
I was attempting to finish it all up today but that isn't happening. Besides the fact that it's nearly 100 degrees in the shade and humid, I got everything tidy and started stuffing the horde of wires into the hole in the dash. Twice I dropped a mounting screw, and both times they disappeared into the wells of the center console under the dash. It's not easy holding steady and seeing too while sweat runs down your face like a hose that won't quite shut off. With the remaining two screws I got the HU mounted and started dry-fitting the Metra dash bazel. It wouldn't line up. I had used the original radio brackets but they fit quite a bit higher up on the new radio, making the radio sit about a quarter inch too low to clear the opening. So now I have to figure out how to modify the brackets or use the flimsy plastic pieces that came with the Metra kit.

Oh I also finally gave up on the Axxess steering wheel adapter. I wired directly into the truck wires with solder and shrink wrap, but the darn thing won't recognize the vehicle. When I try to manually program it, I can't get it to change the radio type because the volume up on the steering wheel doesn't signal. In fact only the volume -, source -, and power buttons signal. I can see those on the radio on its steering wheel program screen, but they all just occupy the same slot. I just shoved the thing down into the dash and took it as a loss for having steering wheel controls. I have checked my connections many times and they match the instructions and several forum entries.

I had to take a break from the heat and think for a while. I keep getting so close to being done just to get kicked back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Jump to top