Getting better gas mileage - Page 2 - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Re: Getting better gas mileage

I was expecting slightly less mpg towing that trailer. It's nearly 4k total, when loaded with everyone's summer camp gear. I guess a couple dozen footlocker and all the attendant crap we take to camp adds up. But I do also hedge a little. I run a bottle of Lucas sue system cleaner through it before I go, and I have a couple of other Scout leaders who run front and back door for me, and we do some mild drafting along the way. Big things are not trying to accelerate uphill in the mountains (stay in the right lane, hit the base of the mountain at 65, maintain as best as I can and just keep it above 45-50 to the top, and then get it all back on the way down.

There are definitely tricks to getting better mileage. I've found accelerating from a stop in the 2-2.5k range seems to give me the best overall mpg, as I spend a little less time burning higher fuel rates and more time maintaining speed at lower rates. Getting these rigs moving is fuel intensive no matter how you do it, even downhill!

It helps, too, that I'm stock except for the tires. Stock size, but E-rated LTs so the weight went up about 15lb per corner. I'm 4x4, 3.36 gears, Pro4X, so I'm almost the worst possible mileage situation, stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Guess my Armada isn't the only one chomping through gas

-Eli
2004 Armada
20s with 35's Nitto RidgeGrapplers, FRONT: Titan 08+ 4x4 coils & Bilstein 5100s (middle setting), REAR: Rancho quicklift rear w/Raybestos 589-1150 coils
22" Magnaflow exhaust, limo tint, Debadged, GoRhino push/step bar, black grille, Black Horse Offroad Rear Bumper Guard
Armaden full interior LED package, SuperChips Flashpaq Tuned, Torque Pro Vehicle monitoring via Nexus 7 indash tablet (CyanogenMod) ELM327 (OBDII-bluetooth)
Viper Alarm, Die Hard Batt, Royal Purple Synthetics...lotsa plastidip
April 2012, Club Armada Ride of the Month...
Thanks guys
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I just had my 2011 pass 100k miles. warranty ended at 100k, engine shot at 102k. I'm told the piston rings are either gone or trashed. so while I save my nickels & dimes for a reman engine, I could use some advice on engines to get, why specifically, and are there any changes or upgrades to make it more fuel efficient?
Thanks!

[SIGPIC]-Northern MN
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Iíve read up on the two engines VK56DE and the VK56VD. The last coming out in2017. It reads like the new one is tech superior and possibly much more fuel efficient? But whatís the price difference and is it worth it? Would the VD even fit in my Ď11?
Itís a quad cab, sv with towing package.

[SIGPIC]-Northern MN
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 04:38 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moverlie View Post
Iíve read up on the two engines VK56DE and the VK56VD. The last coming out in2017. It reads like the new one is tech superior and possibly much more fuel efficient? But whatís the price difference and is it worth it? Would the VD even fit in my Ď11?
Itís a quad cab, sv with towing package.
Engine worn out at 102k worn rings? That's crazy talk, did they give you the results of a compression test? Did you recently overheat the truck? Have you only changed the oil 2 times in 100k? That's just not possible if regular maintenance was preformed?

As for engines, the VK56VD is the 2 Gen Titan engine. It's the same exact engine you have size wise. But in todays age of computers running everything. I don't think without a 2016 full wiring harness and many ECU's and probably many other things it would never be right. It would really be quite a feat to put the new VK56VD engine in the first gen Titan. Your pockets would have to be so deep to the point that it would be much cheaper just to go get a new Titan and make monthly payments. If you still owe on your 2011 I understand your position.

This thread was about MPG the new ones are much better. I'm getting 15-17mpg around town and have seen 21mpg on the hwy. Now towing 5000lb travel trailer in the hills around the Mid-Atlantic I've been getting 8-9mpg. But on flatter towing trips I think it'll get closer to 11mpg?

2018 KC Deep Blue Pearl, VK56VD, Pro4X, bought new, 12K mi
2006 KC Majestic Blue Frontier, Nismo 4x4, V-6 4.0, 6Spd, bought new, 147K mi "Sold"

I prefer not using remote start or drive-thrus, both hurt your MPG's a lot & you shouldn't let your vehicle idle more that a minute or so especially unattended.
Remember oil isn't a renewable energy source. One day it will all be gone?

Mods: OLM LED fog lights ALPHA HD (PHILIPS Z ES), Iron Cross Black Endeavour Running Boards, WeatherTech floor mats and window visors, AVS aeroskin bug defector, K&N PAIS PN 63-6019,
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxDfns15 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skmcobra View Post
That is NOT bad for towing something. I got about 11-12 in my former F150 Supercrew with the 5.4L engine towing a car hauler. I can't believe how wide a difference there is in gas mileage on this subject. Anywhere from 10 to 18. How can that be? Maybe it has to do with how many miles on the engine and maintenance?
Nope, the truck's are all just a little different. Weight (big one), mods, diff gearing, speed (I drive 75 on the interstate), all play a part. For me it was when I installed my MXP CAI. Immediately dropped about 1.5MPG's and just haven't been interested enough to swap back to stock or try another CAI.
What other mods did you have done with the truck? Mine is all city mostly volant CAI and jba exhaust and I literally have to granny it and my average MPG is 9.5 So I put the stock intake back on to see if anything changes
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

At the time I only had a 2" front level and 18x9's with LT 275/70R18 tires. My mileage had not changed in the 2 months after getting the tires, then I put on my AirAid and it immediately dropped. My next tank of gas it was noticeable.

Now, with 3" lift, 275/70R18 tires, CAI, Cajun full exhaust (headers through tailpipe), UpRev tuned, and a cover on the bed I can get 15-16 MPG on the interstate if I cruise at 70-75.

I clean my throttle body once every 4-6 months, have the front end aligned religiously every 6 months, rotate my tires every 5k miles, change my full synthetic oil every 10k miles, clean my MAF and filter regularly, and have Amsoil fluids in everything else.

9.5 is very low. Seems like you might have an exhaust leak, cracked manifolds, or something else messing up your ratios.

2008 PRO-4X KC
No chrome, custom 3" lift, Black Rhino Sidewinder 18x9's, 295/70/R18 Pathfinder AT's, Pioneer HU+Two Kicker Comp 12's, LED lights inside and out, Defiant light bar, 32" curved LED bar, amber 20" LED bar, AirAid MXP, Cajun exhaust
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxDfns15 View Post
At the time I only had a 2" front level and 18x9's with LT 275/70R18 tires. My mileage had not changed in the 2 months after getting the tires, then I put on my AirAid and it immediately dropped. My next tank of gas it was noticeable.

Now, with 3" lift, 275/70R18 tires, CAI, headers through tailpipe, UpRev tuned, and a cover on the bed I can get 15-16 MPG on the interstate if I cruise at 70-75.

I clean my throttle body once every 4-6 months, have the front end aligned religiously every 6 months, rotate my tires every 5k miles, change my full synthetic oil every 10k miles, clean my MAF and filter regularly, and have Amsoil fluids in everything else.

9.5 is very low. Seems like you might have an exhaust leak, cracked manifolds, or something else messing up your ratios.
Just like you I change oil every 3k just changed all my diff fluids and tranny , I'm stock height on 275/70/18 and the mainifolds both the pass and driverside where replaced at 65k I'm 72k now and I'm untuned
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 09:02 AM

Also cleaned the maf twice a month so I have no idea and I do the battery reset all the time just to see but works for a bit then back to **** mpg and I noticed a idle drop to sitting at a stop light slowly drops to 500 sometimes a lil below but only in drive so I'm kinda stuck and out of ideas
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I have a 2017 Titan SV King Cab, 2wd. I know, I know, but I didn't have a need for a lifted 4WD. But, it is loaded....blind spot, front/rear sensors, nav, heated seats, fog, high-end running board, soft fold bed cover, and on and on. I average 22-24 on highway at 60-65, about 16.7 in town. I am not heavy on the gas pedal. It has towing package, but I haven't towed or loaded the bed. My son-in-law has a Silverado and couldn't believe my mileage. So we went for a road trip. In addition to the computer average, we also manually calculated mpg. He saw I was right. BTW, I'm very happy with my truck. Upgraded all 6 speakers and added a powered sub but the new speakers are so good, I turned the sub off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Jump to top