2004 titan right rear axel seal leaking - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2004 titan right rear axel seal leaking

I have a 2004 Titan, i found the right rear axel seal is leaking. local shop quoted me just over $500 to repair. they said need replace seal as well as what they called the toothed abs ring. does this price
seem right? i mean what would dealer charge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: 2004 titan right rear axel seal leaking

I have had my "AXLE" seal quoted by independent shops and one dealer. Dealer was $785 each axle seal, independent shops were $500ish each axle seal. No one ever mentioned ABS ring to me. ABS ring isn't expensive or a big deal, you may want more quotes to be sure.

2007 Titan SE CC 4x4 BT
UpRev_Airaid MXP_JBA LT_Cajun B's_JBA CBE_Big Ol' Tip_Sylvania LED Bars_NHK G5R Projector Retrofit_Armada Brake Upgrade_Axle Vent Mod
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Depends where you live. Here in the bay area I paid 1100+ to do both. After they were done it blew again within a week. After a horrible few thousand thrown into it I finally figured out what was blowing out my seals. Clogged axle vent. MAKE SURE YOU DO THE AXLE VENT MOD! Otherwise you'll keep throwing money away, I learned the hard way.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 54warrior

AXLE VENT MOD IS A MUST! How many miles on that 04? Suprised it hasn't been an issue by now, this is very common thing. I believe most of the dealers are just replacing the bearing/seal/axle as an entire assembly because it is quicker and easier for them. You have to destroy the bearing to get the seal out anyway. I had 3 replaced on my 2005.

Again, DO THE AXLE VENT MOD soon after you get it fixed. More info here>>> https://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...-solution.html

(sadly many of the pics are now gone from these old threads because of photobucket's new sharing policies)

Truck: 05 CC SE 4x4
Performance/Drivetrain: JBA CAtback w/ 2* Advance, PRG Driveshaft Spacer, PRG Street Traction Bars
Suspension: PC 6", SAW Coils, ProComp MX6 Adjustable Rear Shocks, Total Chaos Shackles, removed anti-sway bar
Wheels/Tires: Stock 6 Spoke Charcoal Wheels with Nitto Terra Grappler G2's-325/65R-18
Brakes: Stock w/ PRG Stainless Lines (Front)
Lighting: (3) Hella 500 Driving Lights
Misc: Husky Liners, Bug Shield, Tonneau, Bed Liner'ed Rockers, Home-MadeŠ Skid Plates, Vent Visors
The Following User Says Thank You to 54warrior For This Useful Post:
slyfur1 (10-10-2018)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

we have had the truck since new 139k miles on it now never had a seal leak till last week
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 03:22 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)

It's amazing how many people don't know about the rear axle vent issue. Then there's the OEM radiator trans cooler issue that they don't address until it's too late.

2018 KC Deep Blue Pearl, VK56VD, Pro4X, bought new, 12K mi
2006 KC Majestic Blue Frontier, Nismo 4x4, V-6 4.0, 6Spd, bought new, 147K mi "Sold"

I prefer not using remote start or drive-thrus, both hurt your MPG's a lot & you shouldn't let your vehicle idle more that a minute or so especially unattended.
Remember oil isn't a renewable energy source. One day it will all be gone?

Mods: OLM LED fog lights ALPHA HD (PHILIPS Z ES), Iron Cross Black Endeavour Running Boards, WeatherTech floor mats and window visors, AVS aeroskin bug defector, K&N PAIS PN 63-6019,
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
@slyfur1 I've heard of this issue before. Do you care to elaborate or point me to some threads that explains this? I'm at 115k, no big issues other than the expensive issue of having to replace my whole rear end with an 07 because of leaky seals and my gears were loose and had a lot of metal shavings in diff oil. Wanted to flush transmission fluid but mechanic said he didnt sughest it because since I've waited thos long it could cause my transmission to prematurely slip. Just trying to do as much preventative measures now as possible.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 01:15 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitafur Fur View Post
@slyfur1 I've heard of this issue before. Do you care to elaborate or point me to some threads that explains this? I'm at 115k, no big issues other than the expensive issue of having to replace my whole rear end with an 07 because of leaky seals and my gears were loose and had a lot of metal shavings in diff oil. Wanted to flush transmission fluid but mechanic said he didnt sughest it because since I've waited thos long it could cause my transmission to prematurely slip. Just trying to do as much preventative measures now as possible.
I'm really surprised it's not a sticky it was on the ClubFrontier.org Forum for 2005-2010 Frontiers. Maybe it's not as big of a issue on Titans. But here's two threads I found doing a "SMOD" strawberry milkshake of death google search. Get a CSF radiator and be done with it.

https://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...-radiator.html

https://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...er-bypass.html

2018 KC Deep Blue Pearl, VK56VD, Pro4X, bought new, 12K mi
2006 KC Majestic Blue Frontier, Nismo 4x4, V-6 4.0, 6Spd, bought new, 147K mi "Sold"

I prefer not using remote start or drive-thrus, both hurt your MPG's a lot & you shouldn't let your vehicle idle more that a minute or so especially unattended.
Remember oil isn't a renewable energy source. One day it will all be gone?

Mods: OLM LED fog lights ALPHA HD (PHILIPS Z ES), Iron Cross Black Endeavour Running Boards, WeatherTech floor mats and window visors, AVS aeroskin bug defector, K&N PAIS PN 63-6019,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Jump to top