Long distance driving and moving to Texas - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Long distance driving and moving to Texas

So, I will be moving my family down to Texas in June 2020. I will fly them down from NC and I'll be driving the distance in my Titan. I had thought about towing my wife's mazda cx9, however, I might have one of my inlaws drive it down with me. What I'm trying to figure out is what precautions I need to take, such as: I have 190k on my 2006, and I thought about getting a PML deep transmission pan to help keep the temps down with the amount of driving and terrain I will be covering. I don't have any issues with transmission, but want to keep it that way. Also, I'm sure I will be doing a coolant flush with new thermostat, hoses (upper and lower), and worm groove clamps before I hit the road. I do need new struts and shocks, likely go Bilstein 5100s all around, and maybe do some front end suspension replacements (sway bar end links, inner/outer tie rods, and upper/lower ball joints).

I will do a trip in July of this year to Tennessee , so I know the truck, specifically the transmission will be worked more than normal.

Any advice on long distance driving would be greatly appreciated. and the necessary upgrades/replacements needed to complete the trip safely/enjoyably

Thank you to all who respond
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluedevils16 For This Useful Post:
Titan332009 (04-04-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: Long distance driving and moving to Texas

Are you towing something? Is that what you mean by "working" the transmission?

It sounds like you have the maintenance under control. The only things that cause me to pause at higher mileage like your truck: it'd be a good idea to replace all hoses and belts. Maybe consider an "axle vent mod" and also I'd have a small amount of concern over the radiator/trans cooler "issue" that rarely pops up on these trucks, where the inner trans cooler leaks into the coolant and blows the trans.
Check wheel bearings too. And battery/charging system. Make sure the exhaust isn't rusting away, I had the exhaust tip break off on one road trip.
Not so sure I'd be concerned about a deep trans pan, but it kinda sounds like you'd be towing so I guess it couldn't hurt.

In our home we have a 2016 GTI, Saabaru 9-2x and Q60. The Titan is by far the best road trip vehicle of all our cars.
We tow a boat and carry dirtbikes in the bed at same time (big tow) on 1000 mile trips, we have driven it to nearly every state west of the Rockies, taken it to Moab for off-roading, cruised at high speeds on the interstate.
Even though people make a case about MPGs, and the truck consumes nearly 2x the gas of the GTI, taking 3 people in the Titan is still far cheaper than airplane tickets, and even cheaper when considering the need to rent a car at your destination. I've never felt it cost too much to drive the Titan on long trips.

2007 Titan SE CC 4x4 BT
UpRev_Airaid MXP_JBA LT_Cajun B's_JBA CBE_Big Ol' Tip_Sylvania LED Bars_NHK G5R Projector Retrofit_Armada Brake Upgrade_Axle Vent Mod
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Well its possible I would tow my wife's Mazda CX9. But looking less and less likely. I would have around 1500lbs between my bed and cab. I probably will look at the transmission oil cooler hoses and clamps to make sure the unthinkable doesn't happen while I'm driving 1200 miles. Just recently replaced driver and passenger wheel bearings within the last two years. Exhaust manifolds and hangers are good, less than 5k miles on them. New radiator and serpentine belt.

Yeah I guess with the transmission I just have a concern that with long days of driving and constant changes in the types of driving my types could rise to High levels.

Thanks for your input. I too look forward to driving the Titan on family trips for the next several years.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)

I would definitely change the transmission and transfer case fluid if a 4x4. I just did the Bilstein 5100's all the way around and I can tell you it was well worth the time and money. It rides and drives like a completely different truck with 95k miles. I think I paid less than $320 for all 4 shocks from Shock Surplus and did the install myself with spring compressors from Harbor Freight. Start to finish took me all of about 5 hours for the fronts and rears. I just bought the truck in January, a 2015 SL 4x4 Heavy Metal Chrome edition. I have done the front and rear diff lube with Mobil 1 and the transfer case and transmission with Valvoline MaxLife.

2015 Titan SL
The Following User Says Thank You to KC61 For This Useful Post:
noel55 (04-05-2019)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Main thing: make sure you've replaced the clamps on the transmission hoses. They work their way loose over time and you are going to be on the road and working the transmission hard with towing. You might want to take a close look at your radiator; mine developed a crack in the plastic tank at about 150k miles. Change the rear differential fluid and make sure it's full and that you have a functioning vent.

Beyond that, don't sweat it. I took my 2004 to Florida and back with no problems other than the leaky rear window.

If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind...
The Following User Says Thank You to jdmartin For This Useful Post:
Titan332009 (04-04-2019)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thumbs up Re: Long distance driving and moving to Texas

seems like your on top of the maintenance, you should be good to go !

Texas!
USN Vet
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

I've done 2000 mile trips (Knoxville to LA) in 2 days before. As long as it's mechanically sound, and you've kept up with maintenance it'll be fine. Taken it over the Appalachian Hills into NC many many times. It's nothing for our transmissions. Coming from NC if you go through TN once you get past Cookeville there are no more "mountains".

Best advice on long distance driving is have someone with you to drive and give you a break. 1000 miles a day with 2 people is not fun, but not difficult. Most I've done by myself in one day was about 800, and I was exhausted.

2008 PRO-4X KC
No chrome, custom 3" lift, Black Rhino Sidewinder 18x9's, 295/70/R18 Pathfinder AT's, Pioneer HU+Two Kicker Comp 12's, LED lights inside and out, Defiant light bar, 32" curved LED bar, amber 20" LED bar, AirAid MXP, Cajun exhaust
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
I would definitely change the transmission and transfer case fluid if a 4x4. I just did the Bilstein 5100's all the way around and I can tell you it was well worth the time and money. It rides and drives like a completely different truck with 95k miles. I think I paid less than $320 for all 4 shocks from Shock Surplus and did the install myself with spring compressors from Harbor Freight. Start to finish took me all of about 5 hours for the fronts and rears. I just bought the truck in January, a 2015 SL 4x4 Heavy Metal Chrome edition. I have done the front and rear diff lube with Mobil 1 and the transfer case and transmission with Valvoline MaxLife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmartin View Post
Main thing: make sure you've replaced the clamps on the transmission hoses. They work their way loose over time and you are going to be on the road and working the transmission hard with towing. You might want to take a close look at your radiator; mine developed a crack in the plastic tank at about 150k miles. Change the rear differential fluid and make sure it's full and that you have a functioning vent.

Beyond that, don't sweat it. I took my 2004 to Florida and back with no problems other than the leaky rear window.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vector6 View Post
seems like your on top of the maintenance, you should be good to go !
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxDfns15 View Post
I've done 2000 mile trips (Knoxville to LA) in 2 days before. As long as it's mechanically sound, and you've kept up with maintenance it'll be fine. Taken it over the Appalachian Hills into NC many many times. It's nothing for our transmissions. Coming from NC if you go through TN once you get past Cookeville there are no more "mountains".

Best advice on long distance driving is have someone with you to drive and give you a break. 1000 miles a day with 2 people is not fun, but not difficult. Most I've done by myself in one day was about 800, and I was exhausted.
Yeah its 4wd, has the off-road pkg. When I bought it I changed all the fluids and any necessary filters, and since I don't drive it as much as my wife's car, it's only been 5k miles since every thing has been touched at least once. I'm going to look into shock surplus, yeah I had good results from Bilstein on my Tacoma before coming to the Titan.
That is next on the list to do, hose clamps. I know for a fact I have a slow leak at my power steering return line around the clamp. I will be checking the radiator and transmission oil cooler lines. radiator was replaced about 5k miles ago, front/rear and installed an OFFROAD Gorilla vent axle mod too.
thanks I sure hope so.
I've been debating asking a friend to go with me and I pay for his flight back to NC. Might do that to keep the progress going.

Thanks for the advice and input everyone. Community like TT was a deciding factor for purchasing my first Titan. Coming from TacomaWorld and Tacoma I knew I could find something similar as far as comradery.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Main thing: make sure you've replaced the clamps on the transmission hoses.
I replaced mine early in my truck's life, and the trans lines were already backing off the nubs!

I would also recommend using fuel injection hose clamps. Worm drive hose clamps eat up the rubber hoses, FI hose clamps have a smooth interior, you can get a nice, tight fit without tearing up the rubber hose.

2007 Titan SE CC 4x4 BT
UpRev_Airaid MXP_JBA LT_Cajun B's_JBA CBE_Big Ol' Tip_Sylvania LED Bars_NHK G5R Projector Retrofit_Armada Brake Upgrade_Axle Vent Mod
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDA6 View Post
Quote:
Main thing: make sure you've replaced the clamps on the transmission hoses.
I replaced mine early in my truck's life, and the trans lines were already backing off the nubs!

I would also recommend using fuel injection hose clamps. Worm drive hose clamps eat up the rubber hoses, FI hose clamps have a smooth interior, you can get a nice, tight fit without tearing up the rubber hose.
That's a good tip. I don't have a Titan any more but I'll have to remember that.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)

Looks like my hose clamps on my 2015 are just the kind you spread open with a pair of pliers and then release once in place.

2015 Titan SL
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:52 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1195 Post(s)
Thanked 5,866 Times in 3,843 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

With all that maintenance completed I would have had zero concerns about pulling a Mazda CX9 with my Titan.

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road» <-- Sold 07/2017
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, Custom b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned, CSF radiator, e-fans, JBA LT headers»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms, Hellwig rear sway bar»
2015 Nissan Leaf
2017 Ford F-350 CCLB 6.7L Lariat - The Towing Beast
Jim aka Bionic Whore™, Tutu Whore™
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
Looks like my hose clamps on my 2015 are just the kind you spread open with a pair of pliers and then release once in place.
Yeah. Those are the kind that eventually slide off the transmission metal hosing. Like all of mine were doing and my power steering as well. Luckily I caught all of them before any damage was done; the PS started leaking and that's what alerted me. The transmission hose was about 1/2 inch from coming off altogether.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)

Quote:

I would even replace the hose mine blew apart on my couple months ago dry rot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

All helpful input. Thank you everyone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Jump to top