Hub Assembly Issue - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Hub Assembly Issue

I just bought a 2013 Armada (hub should be the same as a Titan). The dealer installed a new front hub assembly. But, viewed from under the vehicle it looks different from the older stock hub. Is it missing a part such as a dust cover/seal? Or is the new hub just designed differently? Thought you guys might have some experience and could offer an opinion, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Hub Assembly Issue-new-hub.jpg   Hub Assembly Issue-old-hub.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Re: Hub Assembly Issue

Is your Armada a 4X2? I'm assuming those photos are of a front hub with no driveshaft installed.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage
4x4 and 4x2 use the same hubs. The 4x2s obviously don't have axles. Yes that looks correct.

Jason
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Yes, a 4x2, thanks. The pictures changed orientation when I uploaded them, so the angle is a bit confusing.

Last edited by emejia; 04-24-2019 at 12:59 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:06 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emejia View Post
Yes, a 4x2, thanks. The pictures changed orientation when I uploaded them, so the angle is a bit confusing.
https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/part...html?PNC=40015

2WD PN# 40202-9FF0A is $18 more than 4WD PN# 40202-9FG0A maybe because of the dust cover? Diagram doesn't show the dust cover? And it doesn't show the dust cover available for purchase by itself. The Dealer might of saved you a couple bucks, but in the long run they might have screwed you cause the bearing is going to be exposed to the elements now?

2018 KC Deep Blue Pearl, VK56VD, Pro4X, bought new, 12K mi
2006 KC Majestic Blue Frontier, Nismo 4x4, V-6 4.0, 6Spd, bought new, 147K mi "Sold"

I prefer not using remote start or drive-thrus, both hurt your MPG's a lot & you shouldn't let your vehicle idle more that a minute or so especially unattended.
Remember oil isn't a renewable energy source. One day it will all be gone?

Mods: OLM LED fog lights ALPHA HD (PHILIPS Z ES), Iron Cross Black Endeavour Running Boards, WeatherTech floor mats and window visors, AVS aeroskin bug defector, K&N PAIS PN 63-6019,

Last edited by slyfur1; 04-24-2019 at 06:24 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Right, that was my original concern. I asked two Nissan parts guys and neither could find a separate dust cover. Interestingly, the OEM part doesn't show the cover, but some aftermarket hubs seem to have one. Maybe it's a sealed unit so it protected regardless?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:34 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emejia View Post
Right, that was my original concern. I asked two Nissan parts guys and neither could find a separate dust cover. Interestingly, the OEM part doesn't show the cover, but some aftermarket hubs seem to have one. Maybe it's a sealed unit so it protected regardless?
The Nissan parts guys couldn't find a separate dust cover cause it comes with the 2WD hub. The 4WD bearing is not sealed, because it would be protected by the CV boot on a 4WD model. If you find a dealer that has that 2WD part number I shared with you in stock, if you have them pull the box I bet dollars to doughnuts it has a dustcover on that hub.

Good luck,
Sean

2018 KC Deep Blue Pearl, VK56VD, Pro4X, bought new, 12K mi
2006 KC Majestic Blue Frontier, Nismo 4x4, V-6 4.0, 6Spd, bought new, 147K mi "Sold"

I prefer not using remote start or drive-thrus, both hurt your MPG's a lot & you shouldn't let your vehicle idle more that a minute or so especially unattended.
Remember oil isn't a renewable energy source. One day it will all be gone?

Mods: OLM LED fog lights ALPHA HD (PHILIPS Z ES), Iron Cross Black Endeavour Running Boards, WeatherTech floor mats and window visors, AVS aeroskin bug defector, K&N PAIS PN 63-6019,
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfur1 View Post
The Nissan parts guys couldn't find a separate dust cover cause it comes with the 2WD hub. The 4WD bearing is not sealed, because it would be protected by the CV boot on a 4WD model. If you find a dealer that has that 2WD part number I shared with you in stock, if you have them pull the box I bet dollars to doughnuts it has a dustcover on that hub.

Good luck,

Sean

Very good catch basically they put a 4 wheel drive hub on your 4x2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Good input. I've got a call into the mechanic to see if he still has the old hub, if so I'll pull the part. Trying to find a replacement one (without the whole assembly) is so far impossible. Not even sure if it's a dust cover, dust cap, grease seal...regardless of what it's called, it's probably a $5.00 part
that could prevent a $500 repair bill down the road.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Because it was difficult to get a conclusive answer, I contacted the technical department at Timken, maker of hub assemblies that appear very similar to the new hub installed in my Armada. Here is the reply:

"These appear to be 2 different designs accomplishing the same thing. I don’t know the particulars of the OE bearing, but it appears that it uses a separate piece to lock the sleeve to the back of the inner ring where the Timken design uses roll form technology to lock the sleeve to the inner ring with a portion of the sleeve itself (note the large raised bead on the back of the new hub assembly). The OE design may have worked as a slinger (metal shield that deflects debris from the seal face), but the Timken design utilizes a very robust seal that has no need of a slinger."

Hopefully that answers the question for anyone else who has the same concerns. Of course if you guys have additional or contrary information I'm always eager to learn more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Jump to top