Engine Runs Fine at Low RPM, Horrible at High - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Engine Runs Fine at Low RPM, Horrible at High

So I've been having some issues with my 04 Titan. Cruising along runs fine. Put in neutral, rev the crap out of it, runs fine. Driving along, or pulling away, & mash the gas, rpms go up & just starts cutting out, missing, running like crap. It'll get up to 6000ish rpm but it sucks getting there, & also doesn't shift till you get out of the throttle. & no codes being thrown as to misfire or anything like that. Had it at the Nissan dealership, they said it was coils/plugs. About choked when they told me 1600. But here's the thing, a month or so ago I already replaced the coils & plugs because of another missing issue which turned out to be an O2 sensor. Once that was fixed, truck ran great until the other day when this started up. Well since I said no to Nissan doing it & I still had the old plugs & coils, I started mixing around. Even bought brand new, actual replacement NGK plugs, still the same issue. Now I am thoroughly convinced these are not the issue. Anyone ever run across something like this? Nissan said fuel pressures looked good but I'm wondering if its an injector clogged or something like that that when the engine is under a load, something can't keep up. Please help! Right now, some of the things I've been chasing are starting to lead me to another fix...a trade in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: Engine Runs Fine at Low RPM, Horrible at High

Considering the age of the truck and taking a simple approach to start, have you tried running a few tankfuls of gas with seafoam to clean things out? I would look at this as a fuel delivery issue first. Things could be gunked up. I have had luck keeping my truck running good (225000 miles) by never running ethanol blended fuel and running a can of seafoam about 3 times a year, especially when I am taking a longer trip. You might have something else going on, but a few tankfuls and about $15 for a couple cans of seafoam would be a good start.

2007 Nissan Titan LE - Tow package - Blizzard White with painted Armada Air Dam - Truxedo Low Pro tonnau cover - Slotted Frozen Rotors with Hawk Performance LTS brake pads - Goodridge Stainless brake lines - Bilstein 5100 shocks with 1" lift setting - JBA stainless headers and Cajun Hi Flow Catted B pipes Jet Hot ceramic coated in Titanium - Cajun cat back exhaust with JBA 40-30220 muffler - Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator - Blastin' Bobs 4" stainless double wall resonated tip - Axle vent mod
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Thanked 1,380 Times in 846 Posts
iTrader Score: 215 reviews

My guess is fuel pump

Uprev Guru for Cajun B pipes
www.cajunbpipes.com
The Following User Says Thank You to seymore4 For This Useful Post:
vector6 (07-14-2019)
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

seymore4, fuel pump could be a possibility, but when Nissan had it, they said fuel pressures looked fine 48-51 psi.

MuskieHunter, so a little more info. After my O2 sensor was replaced, within a day I got the check engine light on again but this was for code P0420 (i think) for the catalytic converter not doing it's thing. Took it back to Nissan & they said, yeah it's near the threshold, drive it a bit & see if it goes away. If it doesn't you need a new cat. Their price of $1800 was laughable. So I dumped a can of catalytic cleaner in my tank, it was stuff that cost $25 a can vs. say seafoam that would be $5. I was just to the end of the tank of gas that had this in that I started having the cutting out issues at high rpm. I've been driving it more this weekend with just fuel injector cleaner in it, haven't had a chance to get to the auto parts store yet.

But here's what makes me think it's the injectors. If you're cruising along like 2-3000 rpm running fine & you punch it, the trans downshifts & goes up to like 6000 & it starts running like crap & really not accelerating. I wish I had an A/F gauge to confirm this but if it would show running really lean, that's it. I can't run it long enough like that for it to throw a lean code. But does this make sense to anybody that my thinking would lead me to injectors?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Thanked 1,380 Times in 846 Posts
iTrader Score: 215 reviews
What you're describing sounds exactly like a failing fuel pump. Unless they checked the fuel pressure under load on a dyno then it doesnt matter. Every time I've seen a fuel pump fail on these trucks it starts by only being noticeable under load and at higher rpms then gets gradually worse. If you can drive normally with no symptoms but it stalls, bucks, etc when you punch it or get into higher rpms, pull a hill etc, I would say it's the fuel pump.

Uprev Guru for Cajun B pipes
www.cajunbpipes.com
The Following User Says Thank You to seymore4 For This Useful Post:
bencor21 (07-14-2019)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Yeah seymore4, highly doubtful they did it on a dyno, maybe on a road test. But what you are describing is exaclty what I got going on. I don't have an issue doing the fuel pump, I at least have access to a hoist where I can just yank the bed & not drop the tank, I've actually done it before on an older truck, I just don't want to keep guessing at this. Truck only has 125k on it & it's still in pretty decent shape. Just right now it's really pissing me off.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Fuel pumps only like $70 on ebay but dropping the tank or lifting the bed both look like a pain. Anybody have a recommendation?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:45 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Thanked 5,895 Times in 3,863 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Installing a new fuel pump involves dropping the fuel tank. You do NOT want to do it twice. Buy an OEM fuel pump, not aftermarket. I've had problems with aftermarket fuel pumps. It's just not worth the hassle.

I agree with Seymore4 that it's likely the fuel pump.

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road» <-- Sold 07/2017
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, Custom b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned, CSF radiator, e-fans, JBA LT headers»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms, Hellwig rear sway bar»
2015 Nissan Leaf
2017 Ford F-350 CCLB 6.7L Lariat - The Towing Beast
Jim aka Bionic Whore™, Tutu Whore™
The Following User Says Thank You to HRTKD For This Useful Post:
seymore4 (07-15-2019)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

Well that's 2. Alright I guess the fuel pump is the route I'll go. Leaving on vacation this weekend so it'll be a couple weeks until I get to it. I'll report back when it's done with the results. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Jump to top