Cold Air intake - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Parts & Accessories Discussion about Parts & Accessories.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Cold Air intake

What do you guys recommend to get for a cold air intake for 06 Titan SE? My friend spent the money on a K&N and it throws his check engine light because of the mass air flow sensor, what ones do you guys have and are there any problems with it? I live in Vermont and check engine light fails our new inspection laws and don’t want any problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Re: Cold Air intake

There's not much to be gained with a CAI. The factory airbox has the benefit of plenty of R&D, has a straight shot into the plenum and is built of composite materials that don't heat up as quickly as some of the aftermarket CAIs I've seen.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

If your CAI is throwing a code you're doing something wrong. If it fouled his MAF he just needs to clean it and not oil the filter as much. Only problem I've had with my AirAid dry filter is I lost 1-1.5 MPG with it. There's a thread that discusses it.

2008 PRO-4X KC
No chrome, custom 3" lift, Black Rhino Sidewinder 18x9's, 295/70/R18 Pathfinder AT's, Pioneer HU+Two Kicker Comp 12's, LED lights inside and out, Defiant light bar, 32" curved LED bar, amber 20" LED bar, AirAid MXP, Cajun exhaust
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmura View Post
There's not much to be gained with a CAI. The factory airbox has the benefit of plenty of R&D, has a straight shot into the plenum and is built of composite materials that don't heat up as quickly as some of the aftermarket CAIs I've seen.
Agree totally. It may sound better when you open it up on the highway thats about it. I would save your money, don't mess with what already works well.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:57 AM
Premium User

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterfowlGuy View Post
What do you guys recommend to get for a cold air intake for 06 Titan SE? My friend spent the money on a K&N and it throws his check engine light because of the mass air flow sensor, what ones do you guys have and are there any problems with it? I live in Vermont and check engine light fails our new inspection laws and donít want any problems
Check your hose clamps, make sure their snug don't overtighten. I had one come lose after 100's of miles and it was letting in unmetered air threw a MAF code. Also Check MAF connector and it's seal to CAI pipe.

2018 KC Deep Blue Pearl, VK56VD, Pro4X, bought new, 14K mi
2006 KC Majestic Blue Frontier, Nismo 4x4, V-6 4.0, 6Spd, bought new, 147K mi "Sold"

I prefer not using remote start or drive-thrus, both hurt your MPG's a lot & you shouldn't let your vehicle idle more that a minute or so especially unattended.
Remember oil isn't a renewable energy source. One day it will all be gone?

Mods: OLM LED fog lights ALPHA HD (PHILIPS Z ES), Iron Cross Black Endeavour Running Boards, WeatherTech floor mats and window visors, AVS aeroskin bug defector, K&N PAIS PN 63-6019,
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Hmm well that’s not encouraging lol unfortunately the box part around the filter of the Air intake that’s stock has warped from heat over the years and there’s a gap in the lid now that lets dust in so that’s why I was leaning towards replacing it with a CIA. In hopes of running a bit better mileage as well
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:15 AM

Garage

Quote:
Hmm well thatís not encouraging lol unfortunately the box part around the filter of the Air intake thatís stock has warped from heat over the years and thereís a gap in the lid now that lets dust in so thatís why I was leaning towards replacing it with a CIA. In hopes of running a bit better mileage as well
The factory air intake works really well. It's a fully sealed system which is what you want. I know some of the CAIs are semi-sealed, meaning it relies on the hood to sort of close the system off. I would drop in a higher flow air filter such as an AEM or K&N and call it a day. But, since you now say that your box is warped, if you do go the CAI route choose a sealed box like Volant.

Father. Marketer. Parts slinger.
Living one day at a time to the fullest.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Hmm well thatís not encouraging lol unfortunately the box part around the filter of the Air intake thatís stock has warped from heat over the years and thereís a gap in the lid now that lets dust in so thatís why I was leaning towards replacing it with a CIA. In hopes of running a bit better mileage as well
Plenty of replacement OEM air intake parts in salvage yards. You can replace the warped airbox faster and cheap too!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage

I do have the Volant on my Titan. I cant say that it increases HP nor looses HP but it does look nice. I have had no problems at all with it. I will say when I originally installed it the truck did run a little smoother from idle to full acceleration. It is a really nice sealed system with a cleanable cone style filter.

Also it is CA compliant that was a plus for me.

Jason
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:05 AM
Premium User

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmura View Post
Plenty of replacement OEM air intake parts in salvage yards. You can replace the warped airbox faster and cheap too!
There's plenty of OEM ones laying in K&N boxes in folks garages or attics too

2018 KC Deep Blue Pearl, VK56VD, Pro4X, bought new, 14K mi
2006 KC Majestic Blue Frontier, Nismo 4x4, V-6 4.0, 6Spd, bought new, 147K mi "Sold"

I prefer not using remote start or drive-thrus, both hurt your MPG's a lot & you shouldn't let your vehicle idle more that a minute or so especially unattended.
Remember oil isn't a renewable energy source. One day it will all be gone?

Mods: OLM LED fog lights ALPHA HD (PHILIPS Z ES), Iron Cross Black Endeavour Running Boards, WeatherTech floor mats and window visors, AVS aeroskin bug defector, K&N PAIS PN 63-6019,
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

I personally felt like I was able to tell a difference in pickup with my CAI. I didn't have it dyno'd or anything so no real results, but that's just my input.

2008 PRO-4X KC
No chrome, custom 3" lift, Black Rhino Sidewinder 18x9's, 295/70/R18 Pathfinder AT's, Pioneer HU+Two Kicker Comp 12's, LED lights inside and out, Defiant light bar, 32" curved LED bar, amber 20" LED bar, AirAid MXP, Cajun exhaust
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys I’ll check them out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Jump to top