2019 Titan Tow and Moving Adventure - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Towing & Hauling If you have specific questions about using the Titan to tow or haul stuff around, post it in here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
2019 Titan Tow and Moving Adventure

One of my friends needed some help in completing a move from Denver to Las Vegas and I volunteered to help. After dealing with the frustrating tracking system at U-Haul, we ended up taking the 24' enclosed trailer (with the Z racecar in the garage) and my '08 Titan SE LWB KC on the 1,650-mile round trip. The trip would take us through four states (Colorado, Utah, Arizona and Nevada) over soaring mountain passes, searing high plain deserts and gorgeous National forests.

After loading the truck and trailer, the trip down went smoothly. The Equal-I-Zer antisway WD hitch did its usual good job as it has over the past two decades and made driving easy. The speeds ranged from 65-75 MPH across I-70 in Colorado to 80-85 MPH through Utah and down into Nevada on I-15. One parameter I wanted to examine in greater detail was the fuel mileage from my VK56DE. After all, without the usual 350Z racecar onboard, I was curious to see how the unladen Dynastar trailer would affect mileage.

The (perhaps predictable) answer was the increased frontal area and corresponding aero drag pulled mileage down into single digits, no matter whether the trailer was fully loaded or not. Speed was a bigger factor, as keeping highway speeds down to the 55-65 MPH resulted in higher MPG (7.567- hand calculated), while running 80-85 MPH took me down to 6.278 MPG. Running 70-75 in the Colorado mountains across I-70 had mileage right around 7.0 MPG, but this was via the onboard system as I didn't really collect much data or hand calculate this figure. I thought elevation changes would be a bigger factor, but my Titan happily went up anything I asked it to. Going faster really was the biggest factor during this trip, and that 34-gallon tank got filled up an awful lot.

Fuel prices ranged from $2.47 to $3.49/gallon for regular unleaded in Colorado and Nevada, respectively. But it needs to be said that mileage wasn't the sole focus of this trip. Far from it! The scenery was spectacular at this time of year, and I was awestruck by the pure beauty of Colorado, Utah, Arizona and Nevada. After delivering my friend's furniture and personal items to Las Vegas, I also had a side goal of meeting another TT member (TitanPro4Xutah) to purchase a radiator from him. He's a true Nissan enthusiast and I thank him for driving south to meet me on I-15 at Spanish Fork. Made the trip back southeast over US-6 a better option with more direct route. Now, if you'll excuse me, I go collapse in my own bed for a good night's rest!
The Following User Says Thank You to dkmura For This Useful Post:
noel55 (06-13-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Re: 2019 Titan Tow and Moving Adventure

Neglected to mention that the weather this trip was mostly clear and sunny! Some wind on the way out, but not enough to really skew the MPG by much.

Wondering if other Titan owners with travel trailers, or enclosed toy haulers get comparable mileage? Also, can any gen 2 owners with the VK56VE direct injected motors report better mileage while towing?

Whatever, get out there in your Titan and enjoy driving in prime summertime weather!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Also, forgot to mention how well all the HVAC systems continue to work on my 11-year old Titan. Las Vegas summer temps were already up in the 105-108 degree F range and the a/c kept the cabin as cool as I wanted. The VK didn't miss a beat, and gave me power and torque on command throughout this 1,700 mile trip. I love all my vehicles, but this truck continues to impress me. I wonder if any second gen owners can give me some comparisons with the first gen trucks and what the VK56VE does better?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Generally I get about 11mpg towing a Jayco X19H which is a right around 5000lbs loaded. However I roll on ST tires so don't exceed 65MPH due to the tire speed rating.

Interestingly, I get slightly better mileage when I have the kayaks mounted on the roof of the Titan. They cut through the air better than the slab face of the trailer so despite the extra weight, give better performance.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)

I towed my 2011 coachman catalina 24FBS to yellowstone and back with my 2015 Pro4X, averaged 6-7 mpg. I did a personal best at 4.3 mpg trying to make up time to the Devils tower but it towed the trailer like a champ. Traded it off for a 2018 titan SL midnight due to rear diff issues, looking forward to towing with the new truck
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Generally I get about 11mpg towing a Jayco X19H which is a right around 5000lbs loaded. However I roll on ST tires so don't exceed 65MPH due to the tire speed rating.

Interestingly, I get slightly better mileage when I have the kayaks mounted on the roof of the Titan. They cut through the air better than the slab face of the trailer so despite the extra weight, give better performance.
Wow- what I wouldn't give to get 11 MPG while towing my race trailer! And you made me chuckle when you mentioned the kayaks on the roof of your Titan. My 24' Dynastar enclosed trailer weighs about 5500 lbs empty and while it's no lightweight, it's plenty sturdy enough to last through the years.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneuald View Post
I towed my 2011 coachman catalina 24FBS to yellowstone and back with my 2015 Pro4X, averaged 6-7 mpg. I did a personal best at 4.3 mpg trying to make up time to the Devils tower but it towed the trailer like a champ. Traded it off for a 2018 titan SL midnight due to rear diff issues, looking forward to towing with the new truck
Sounds like your Coachman and my race trailer must be similar in terms of drag and weight. Really interested to see if you get any real-world gains in mileage when you get some towing miles on your new Titan!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:53 PM

it will have to wait til next year flying to Salt Lake City in July
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Interesting. My old 2015 Titan Pro4X got about 7 mpg, towing a 6600 lb (loaded) travel trailer. Same trailer behind my 2017 Pro4X, I got 9 mpg on the same roads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallthus View Post
Interesting. My old 2015 Titan Pro4X got about 7 mpg, towing a 6600 lb (loaded) travel trailer. Same trailer behind my 2017 Pro4X, I got 9 mpg on the same roads.
Now, that is interesting! I think the larger enclosed trailers and TT probably have similar aero profiles and result in similar drag figures. With all the technology in the VK56VE, it's interesting to see what mileage gains there are. Of course, my mileage crossing mountain passes and yours will vary, depending on where you live.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:03 AM

Of course, my mileage crossing mountain passes and yours will vary, depending on where you live AND WEIGHT OF RIGHT FOOT!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneuald View Post
Of course, my mileage crossing mountain passes and yours will vary, depending on where you live AND WEIGHT OF RIGHT FOOT!
As stated earlier in this thread, when the speed limit in Utah goes to 80 MPH, there's a definite impact! Towing always means your right foot gets more exercise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Jump to top