Nissan Titan Forum banner

The Installation: Blackbeauty NEVER Sounded So Good!

37K views 90 replies 42 participants last post by  jdmartin 
#1 ·
Sorry for the wait, but it's been a bit hectic since the installation. But now, without further ado, here are the installation pics.

I arrived at tech12volt's place on Sunday, March 8, as planned. Due to a recent bout with a nasty virus, his whole family was under the weather that weekend, so we didn't get to the Titan until Tuesday. But she was in "The Shop" and preparations were being made.

Before the installation, as you may or may not know, I had the JL Audio 300/2 amp pushing the JL 10" sub in the first sub box that tech ever raffled. I thought it sounded pretty good... Well, I didn't really know "pretty good"... :D

The rest of the interior was stock....

We got to tearing out the interior... Seats, trim, rear wall, but weren't really removing the carpeting yet. The plan was to just sound deaden the doors.....

We had to remove the factory NAV DVD player under the passenger's seat as well as the factory R/F sub under the driver's seat.

The center console cover came off, and we figured we were just about done with the teardown....

And now... The goodies... :D All CDT products! Audiophiles unite!

Viper 7900 Car Alarm and Remote Start:

Many have already seen the nightmare of wiring that tech had to navigate to install this. It went well and works flawlessly. He really made this look easy.

Kenwood CCD-2000 Universal Rear View Camera:

This was mounted on the rear hitch (which I had Line-X'd just prior to hitting the road to tech's place - that's Mystery Mod #2.) The wiring was run inside the frame rail under the truck.

Next, the doors were stripped and they were sound deadened.

Once that was completed, the rear wall was sound deadened....

But... inspiration struck, and the thought to sound deaden the floor also, which was tossed around multiple times, finally came to fruition... So, the center console had to come out along with the carpet.

Then the floor sound deadening continued....

Adapters were made for the front and rear door comps. They were then covered with spray on truck bedliner to prevent the MDF from deteriorating from moisture when in the doors.

The comps installed were CDT ES-62iUS GOLD comps with the Braxial tweeter mounts for the front.

The StageFront technology was used and additional CDT DRT-26 1" tweeters were installed in the front A-pillars. This StageFront system brings the sound from down at your knees, up to the level of the top of the dashboard. You feel like you have front row seats at a concert the way the sound hits right in front of you. It's seriously, an incredible upgrade that is WELL worth the money.

The CDT CL-62 comps were installed in the rear doors since I didn't want any part of this system to be weak.

All the sound system wires were run, zip-tied, and tucked away so the carpet could be reinstalled.

That done, the interior started going back together slowly. The center console was set in place and the TVandNAV2Go was wired up and installed so I could not only have the rear backup camera on the NAV screen, but also play the movies from the factory DVD system on the NAV screen as well. These were all run through the toggle switches on the center console and in the console storage tray so I have full access to all features all the time.

The first time we turned the backup camera on to test it... guess what....

Yup... it was upside down. :rofl: Hey... I defy anyone to be able to tell which way the camera needs to be pointed... There's no markings on it! :lol: A quick switcharoo of the camera on the mount and we were in business...

The factory NAV DVD player was reinstalled on the floor and the interior was put back together.

Meanwhile, a small pedestal was made for the controls... Peripheral's PCH8 8-Channel Line Out Converter was chosen to push the signal from the stock headunit (That's right! This system sounds THIS incredible with the STOCK R/F HEADUNIT!) to the amps and control all the speakers.

The front comps run through the CDT StageFront ES-200US Crossovers while the rear comps run through the CDT EX-480 Crossovers. These are all mounted under the passenger rear seat.

Powering the subs and comps are the CDT SQA-4100 Amps. These sleek beauties can push 110W x 4Ch, 150W x 4Ch, or 300W x 2Ch depending on your setup and what you need. They were mounted to some amp racks hidden behind the rear seats. As usual, tech did a masterful job of carpeting the support for the PCH8 and the amps.

Once all buttoned up, the sub control switch was mounted inside the center console, within easy reach for instant sound adjustments.

With the truck's interior all back together, it was time to head back into the wood shop and fab up the custom Blackbeauty Sub Box. The box was built, resined, sealed, sanded, and perfect before any vinyl was wrapped.

The raised letters were added and the vinyl was stretched on it to cover all visible surfaces.

The (4) CDT EF-100 10" Subs were then fitted and the box was set under the seat in the truck.

After testing, the box was filled with polyfill to tighten up the bass even more than it already was. This thing sounds incredible. It can hit at all volume levels and the sound in the cabin is exceptional. You literally cannot tell where each aspect of the music is coming from. It all sounds like it is right in front and all around you. A better sounding system, I can't imagine. You really have to hear this to believe it!

And the best part... all this looks stock, is hidden, and out of range of roving eyes who might be looking to remove it from my possession.... :eyebrow:

While there, I had tech add a few other goodies.... We did the NAV Bypass so I can operate the NAV on the fly. Factory settings prohibit altering or setting the NAV destinations unless the truck is stopped.

The '08 Lighted Steering Wheel Audio/Cruise Controls were also installed.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...149-blackbeautys-ot-mystery-mod-revealed.html

In addition, the Stebel Air Horn got put on a toggle so it can be turned off for state inspection.

Also, to help the system and the electronics out a bit... I installed the Active Tune Grounding Kit.

I have to say, tech, Mrs. tech, and the four little tech's were just incredible hosts/hostesses through this whole install. I can't thank all of them enough for the hospitality, dedication, and kindness I was offered while staying there. I also can't say enough about tech and his skills with car audio/electrical systems. I saw things that would make an electrician shake his head.

It's been said hundreds of times, but trust me, I lived it... if you need any audio equipment or need installation, look no further. Now, you don't have to go nuts like I did, as there are dozens of options, packages, and systems to select based on need, desire and budget. But if you want it good and you want it right, tech12volt is THE MAN to talk to for all your audio needs. Just click the link labeled as such in my sig. You won't ever regret it!

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice Red X's

#4 ·
:lol: Well, when you step up and decide to live in the modern world... you can see the pics, too! :lol:

#3 ·
Unreal. Absolutely unreal. Congrats on the upgrade.

Looks like an excellent install by Tech, too. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Blackbeauty
#5 ·
It's amazing how much thought and work you guys put into everything. When you first told me you were going to be there for a week, I thought it would be impossible for it to take that long...after seeing all the work first hand that was put in and hearing it in person, I now know why...there was a lot of thought and sweat put into everything in there... :thumbsup:

#7 ·
Thats literally amazing, theres no way anyone would ever be able to tell you have anything done to the sound system by just looking at it!
Looks like a truely great install im sure your enjoying it 10000X more than I am enjoying looking at the pics lol

Maybe A video for us?

#12 ·
I didn't video any of the install... But I can borrow DR's camera again and grab some vid/aud of the system in action... Won't do it justice, but I'll give it a shot next time I'm at his house!

#13 ·
The DVD player has the S-Jacks to hook it up... It IS possible! :lol:

#15 ·
What you need to hook up in there is a Wii. I want to see people flailing around in the back seat trying to bowl :rofl:

#32 ·
That story cracks me up.:lol:
INSANE! I almost jizzed twice. I'm scared to even wonder how much that all cost.
BB came out well on this deal. ( No pun intended.:huh:) After 10 days, Tech paid him to leave!:jester:

All kidding aside... This is the most amazing car audio install I have ever seen or heard. The sound quality cannot be put into words. The attention to detail that Tech used from start to finish is unbelievable. You can't even tell that the truck was completely gutted and transformed. I know where I will be shopping when I am ready to upgrade my audio system.

#21 · (Edited)
Some things are best left unsaid.... Maybe they should have their own threads? :rofl:

And I still say that what scurried under my truck was a LOT bigger than that silly little skink! :eeeek:

#22 ·
absolutly stunning. im finishing up my box right now also so this is just inspiration haha. i got all my dimensions from tech so it will just like that. im super pumped. what a clean install man

#24 ·
As stated numerous times, insane system. And a very clean install. One thing I found most appealing was the clarity. You could listen to this thing from across the parking lot and it sound just as crystal clear as if you were in the cab. Also, the base, all to often when someone has their base turned up, all you hear is "boots in the dryer" Not the case here. Inside or out, all you feel or hear is pure base.

#25 · (Edited)
That IS the best part of this setup.... At all levels of volume, you get clean, clear sound. Driving around with the volume at comfortable levels and holding a conversation, a new song starts up and the conversation gets interrupted as the occupants all heave a unified, "Wow..."

It's already happened! :lol:

And heck, with most music, you can't even turn this up much past halfway, or you have to be outside the truck! But it still sounds clear! Slight distortion as you reach the deafening levels past 3/4 volume. I don't ever see any reason to play anything that loud, so it's not even close to an issue!

#26 ·
very impressive BB!!! i would love to be able to drop the dough on something that quality! oneday i will drop the t off at techs place and let him do wonders!!

got a few ideas in mind! :)

#29 ·
This system was planned for a year and we changed it several times. The biggest thing was keeping the factory headunit and have it sound like an aftermarket headunit. I think we nailed it. Its really hard to explain just how clean and clear this audio system is with words. Its something you have to hear to really appreciate .

Reactions: gweasel77
#33 ·
BB, do you have any additional pics of that amp rack setup? I've been racking my brain for the past couple months as to how I was going to mount my two amps, and this is perfect!! Any problems putting the seats up, ect?

By the way, WOW!!!! Very nice!!!

#34 ·
The amp rack is merely a piece of 5/8" MDF covered in carpet to match the Titan. It just rests against the rear bulkhead and the metal strapping attached behind the childseat tiedown fastens the top of the rack in place. Now, each of the two amps is on its own rack, so one board doesn't go straight across without considerable work to make it fit. The two piece approach was much easier.

The rear seats do hit the amps when folding the seat up. The sliding rear window really takes up a ton of room on the rear bulkhead. The only difficulty it poses for me though, is that I can't just pop the seats up to show off the sub box. I may have to look into a workaround for this situation. I know there's a way.... just gotta think on it a bit....

#35 ·
The only difficulty it poses for me though, is that I can't just pop the seats up to show off the sub box. I may have to look into a workaround for this situation. I know there's a way.... just gotta think on it a bit....
Do you think this problem could have been solved with thinner wood? 3/8 Ply perhaps?

#36 ·
I doubt it. There would need to be NO wood there for the amps to fit. And these are really slim by comparison to most. There's just way too much stuff on the rear inner bulkhead and the contours are nuts. Not much space unless you spend some time and really contour something up to mount it to the wall. I'm sure it can be done... Just very time consuming.

#37 ·
Cool, thats what I figured. Who knows what these engineers are thinking when they build this stuff. Thanks

#38 ·
Yeah... Engineers... harumph.... just shoot them all!

Oh wait... I am one... :stab:

#39 ·
Haha, runs along the same lines the lawyer jokes I tell to my attorney girlfriend!

#42 ·
Looks great guys! I was waiting for the last year to see how this finally came out! Another fan of CDT! I LOVE IT!

I wish I could have been down there this year to hang with you guys. But I don't think I could take that many days with BB.... you know... :fart:

#43 ·
There was plenty of food! And I had a ton of contraband beer! You wouldn't have even noticed my :fart: .... :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.