More parking brake woes - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Wheels, Tires & Brakes Technical discussion about the wheels, tires, brakes, etc.
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
More parking brake woes

Hello

I am having an issue with squealing from the rear while the vehicle is in motion, any time it is in motion at any speed, regardless of steering, throttle input.

I have a feeling the noise is coming from the parking brake, here is why:
The noise goes away when the parking brake is applied while driving. This to me suggests that the problem is parking brake shoes that are dragging enough to make noise, and that when the park brake is activated it applies more pressure to the inside of the rotor - enough to start doing actual braking, and the noise stops. Upon releasing the park brake the noise starts again.
Is this a logical diagnosis?

I am thinking if it was brake drag from the disk brake system I would hear it regardless of the state of the parking brake. Worth noting is that my parking brake will currently NOT hold the truck back even on flat ground and with no throttle applied.

Here's what I have tried:
Replaced park brake shoes, both sides
Tightened and loosened the adjusting nut at the pedal (This nut feels like it makes no difference and that I need to do hundreds of turns. This is of course limited by the fact that tight clearance means I can only do a quarter rotation at a time with my socket driver. Is that everyone's experience with this adjustment?)
Burnished the park brake as per service manual

The most recent thing I did was replace hardware - springs, retainer clips, star adjuster (Note: did not replace lever, did not replace cables).
The springs did look old and quite stretched compared to the new ones so I thought that might have been the problem - weak springs leading to a failure to adequately return to a neutral state after pedal released leading to brake drag. When putting the rotors back on after changing this hardware, they slipped over the park brake assembly without any apparent rubbing. Still the squealing persists.

I believe my pedal adjustment is very backed off at the moment, could it being too loose cause this?

Any ideas on what I should try next? Thank you for any advice you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: More parking brake woes

Okay!
Adjust your shoes till you can just get your rotors on! Then start adjusting your nut on emergency pedal in truck! I replace everything on my 2005, due to previous owner screwing it all up! My emergency brakes work like a champ!

Good luck!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Where can I find a video to watch, my 2005 Titan needs e brake replacement. How hard is it to do, what would they charge at a shop?

Thanks!
Jim
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9hohriver View Post
Where can I find a video to watch, my 2005 Titan needs e brake replacement. How hard is it to do, what would they charge at a shop?

Thanks!
Jim

2005 Titan LE CC *WAS* "Red Alert!" but now... she's wearing "Galaxy Black"

Last edited by Protholl; Today at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Jump to top