Brakes - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Wheels, Tires & Brakes Technical discussion about the wheels, tires, brakes, etc.
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Brakes

I'm new to the forum so forgive me if someone has presented this issue. Every once in a while it seems as though my brakes go out. It sounds and feels like there arent any pads. I pull over and turn the engine off for about a minute and they go back to normal. Is this something in the ABS system. Others have had this problem when I checked in to it a long time ago but I didn't persue getting it fixed. This is on my 2006 Titan LE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Re: Brakes

could be an ABS issue, when this happens do you feel any pulsing or hear a chattering type noise ?

Texas!
USN Vet
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Yes I do
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

There's a TSB for it I'm pretty sure, although I don't know how long it's been out and if you'd be covered. Happens to me too, I just haven't taken the truck in to have it fixed.

2008 PRO-4X KC
No chrome, custom 3" lift, Black Rhino Sidewinder 18x9's, 295/70/R18 Pathfinder AT's, Pioneer HU+Two Kicker Comp 12's, LED lights inside and out, Defiant light bar, 32" curved LED bar, amber 20" LED bar, AirAid MXP, Cajun exhaust
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbntmn2006 View Post
I'm new to the forum so forgive me if someone has presented this issue. Every once in a while it seems as though my brakes go out. It sounds and feels like there arent any pads. I pull over and turn the engine off for about a minute and they go back to normal. Is this something in the ABS system. Others have had this problem when I checked in to it a long time ago but I didn't persue getting it fixed. This is on my 2006 Titan LE.
First generation Titans are notorious for lousy brakes. The brakes are there but feels like you are pushing the pedal to the floor. A little scary actually. I solved that problem by replacing brake pads and rotors all around. Nissan has been aware of this problem from the start, but have failed to do anything about it. And yes, this solved my braking problem. Just a little expensive though. Good luck.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:43 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
Thanked 5,874 Times in 3,851 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

The problem is in the brake booster. I believe it is called the delta stroke sensor. Nissan is well aware of this issue and lost a lawsuit over it. Check with your dealer to see if they'll work with you on it. Replacing a brake booster isn't that difficult, but I think there was reprogramming that went along with it.

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road» <-- Sold 07/2017
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, Custom b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned, CSF radiator, e-fans, JBA LT headers»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms, Hellwig rear sway bar»
2015 Nissan Leaf
2017 Ford F-350 CCLB 6.7L Lariat - The Towing Beast
Jim aka Bionic Whore™, Tutu Whore™
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin View Post
First generation Titans are notorious for lousy brakes. The brakes are there but feels like you are pushing the pedal to the floor. A little scary actually. I solved that problem by replacing brake pads and rotors all around. Nissan has been aware of this problem from the start, but have failed to do anything about it. And yes, this solved my braking problem. Just a little expensive though. Good luck.
He's talking about an actual problem where the vehicle thinks there's an issue with the braking system. For me, the brake light comes on and the ABS kicks in if I press the brakes more than 10% or so. Turning the truck off for 15-20 seconds then back on corrects it. It happens to me maybe 2-3 times a year, so when I get to the point where I can take it to the dealer I've forgotten about it.

2008 PRO-4X KC
No chrome, custom 3" lift, Black Rhino Sidewinder 18x9's, 295/70/R18 Pathfinder AT's, Pioneer HU+Two Kicker Comp 12's, LED lights inside and out, Defiant light bar, 32" curved LED bar, amber 20" LED bar, AirAid MXP, Cajun exhaust
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:20 AM
Premium User

Garage

Here is a link to the thread on brake loss due to the brake booster: https://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...e-failure.html

«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, Custom b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned, CSF radiator, e-fans, JBA LT headers»
2015 Nissan Leaf
The Following User Says Thank You to HRTKD For This Useful Post:
LaxDfns15 (06-21-2019)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxDfns15 View Post
He's talking about an actual problem where the vehicle thinks there's an issue with the braking system. For me, the brake light comes on and the ABS kicks in if I press the brakes more than 10% or so. Turning the truck off for 15-20 seconds then back on corrects it. It happens to me maybe 2-3 times a year, so when I get to the point where I can take it to the dealer I've forgotten about it.
My 2015 KC has done this twice too. Also fixed with turning it off and back on. Pretty bad failure.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Yes. Pulsing. Grinding noise and real spongy brake pedal.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Brake light comes on also. I pull over turn the engine off. Wait a few seconds. Turn engine back on and it’s ok. Doesn’t happen very often but when it does it’s a nuisance.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Well I replaced the front pads and rotors last weekend and took it for a test drive. Mild to moderate braking action was much improved over the worn set. However as a torture test I decided to find a deserted country road and accelerate to 70mph and apply maximum braking pressure. It did stop quickly and then bottomed out and started making the sound like the antilock was trying to compensate for something unknown followed by the "Brake" and "ABS" CEL lights on the information cluster. The brakes have always been moderate to sketchy since new but now I have the added knowledge that when I really need emergency braking action to avoid danger they will completely fail. This does not induce a warm and fuzzy feeling for me.

So if I bring it in to the dealer for the TSB and they flash the ECU will I lose my custom performance tune or is the ABS in a separate module?

Red Brawn LE
Senatobia, MS
TITAN's Build State
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:03 PM
Premium User

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanAm Ken View Post
Well I replaced the front pads and rotors last weekend and took it for a test drive. Mild to moderate braking action was much improved over the worn set. However as a torture test I decided to find a deserted country road and accelerate to 70mph and apply maximum braking pressure. It did stop quickly and then bottomed out and started making the sound like the antilock was trying to compensate for something unknown followed by the "Brake" and "ABS" CEL lights on the information cluster. The brakes have always been moderate to sketchy since new but now I have the added knowledge that when I really need emergency braking action to avoid danger they will completely fail. This does not induce a warm and fuzzy feeling for me.

So if I bring it in to the dealer for the TSB and they flash the ECU will I lose my custom performance tune or is the ABS in a separate module?
Better safe, than sorry. I would remove the tune, put in back to stock, just in case. My dealer never had a problem with my tune, but I don't recall having a flash applied either.

2015 Nissan Leaf
The Following User Says Thank You to HRTKD For This Useful Post:
PanAm Ken (Yesterday)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Jump to top