Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced my radiator for the second time, yay plastic Nissan parts. Anyways, now the temperature will climb to 3/4 but drop down to normal at random times. Also the heat stopped working.

So I burped the radiator and the heat works again for a day, then stops working again along with the temp rising again. I burp the radiator again and everything is fine for a day only again...

Does anyone know what is going on? It does have high mileage but I’ve never had any issues until now.

Any suggestions? It’s very frustrating.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds like a sticking thermostat . Make sure to get one with the little vent in it this helps bleed air out of the system ,some aftermarket ones don't have it . My radiator on my 2004 started leaking at about 5 years so i went with a Stillen all aluminum holds more coolant now no worries about overheating even here in Texas ; )

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Check all your hose connections. Sounds to me like air getting in the system during cool down, and causing air bubbles during running.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a sticking thermostat . Make sure to get one with the little vent in it this helps bleed air out of the system ,some aftermarket ones don't have it . My radiator on my 2004 started leaking at about 5 years so i went with a Stillen all aluminum holds more coolant now no worries about overheating even here in Texas ; )

I’m going to try a new thermostat I will keep you posted!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replaced it and still having problems. I’m not sure what else to do. Does anyone have anymore suggestions?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
When you purged the air from the system, did you have the heater on FULL HOT? Didn't see that mentioned above.

Otherwise this is classic symptom of a big bubble in the heater core...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I had it on full hit and the heat returned. Once again though now it doesn’t work and the truck is getting high on temperature and casually dropping to normal at slow speeds and idle

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes I had it on full hit and the heat returned. Once again though now it doesn’t work and the truck is getting high on temperature and casually dropping to normal at slow speeds and idle
I have a 2004 as well and i never had any problems getting it to " burp" . The heater core is the highest coolant point in the truck so you might try disconnecting one or both hoses at the heater control valve and adding coolant there .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 2004 as well and i never had any problems getting it to " burp" . The heater core is the highest coolant point in the truck so you might try disconnecting one or both hoses at the heater control valve and adding coolant there .
Ok I will try that. It’s not that I have problems burping, it burps just fine and heat returns. Although only for a few days then it seems like air gets back in somehow, because I burp again and it’s fine. It’s frustrating.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok I will try that. It’s not that I have problems burping, it burps just fine and heat returns. Although only for a few days then it seems like air gets back in somehow, because I burp again and it’s fine. It’s frustrating.
It could be a small leak in the head gasket . There is a test kit for that ; )

·
Registered
27 Posts
I pray it’s not that but I will try next!
Yep these trucks are not prone to leaky head gaskets but if they get hot enough i'm thinking they can . Air or gasses are getting into your system somehow. You might try a new radiator cap and/or a new cap on your coolant reservoir tank for something inexpensive to try ; )

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep these trucks are not prone to leaky head gaskets but if they get hot enough i'm thinking they can . Air or gasses are getting into your system somehow. You might try a new radiator cap and/or a new cap on your coolant reservoir tank for something inexpensive to try ; )
That makes me feel a little better. I replaced the radiator cap maybe I’ll try the reservoir cap as well. You’re right air somehow keeps making it back in. What gets me is it’s driving like a champ until the hottest part of the day then the temp gauge will go to 3/4 and go back to normal randomly.

I’m going to get the gasket test done tomorrow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Never had an issue with it but i read some caps are not made properly,just a thought . Your lower radiator hose could be sucking in as well read of this happening ; )

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Never had an issue with it but i read some caps are not made properly,just a thought . Your lower radiator hose could be sucking in as well read of this happening ; )
Lower hose sucking in? Does that mean it isn’t on tight or correctly?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well i never had it happen to me but i have heard of the hose getting soft and sucking in at higher RPM's . When rubber gets hot it can get soft ; )
Unfortunately it’s a leaking head gasket. Shocks me because I’ve lost no power, acceleration, no decrease in MPG or anything. Is it worth fixing or should I move on?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Unfortunately it’s a leaking head gasket. Shocks me because I’ve lost no power, acceleration, no decrease in MPG or anything. Is it worth fixing or should I move on?
I would try some sealer first cuz it must be a small leak since it is running good .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts