Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I bought an 04 titan with 80000 miles on it and I drove it for another 4000 miles few days ago I noticed my left rear tire had some oil on it so I looked under it and saw a mix of dirt and oil where the brake rotor is and some on the axle. So I brought it to Nissan and they told me I need a new rear end and it would cost me 4100 to replace. I don’t have that much money and they told me that it would lock up soon if I don’t fix it. I don’t know what to do I thought I would ask u guys what to do? Just because of all the people who had the same problem.
It is a 4X4 and it has tow package and off-road package and it has E-lock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,408 Posts
Sounds like an axle seal leak. Does your truck have the updated pumpkin cover (finned aluminum?) Some dealers just replace the seal and some change the whole rear end.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,417 Posts
george3111987 said:
Ok I bought an 04 titan with 80000 miles on it and I drove it for another 4000 miles few days ago I noticed my left rear tire had some oil on it so I looked under it and saw a mix of dirt and oil where the brake rotor is and some on the axle. So I brought it to Nissan and they told me I need a new rear end and it would cost me 4100 to replace. I don’t have that much money and they told me that it would lock up soon if I don’t fix it. I don’t know what to do I thought I would ask u guys what to do? Just because of all the people who had the same problem.
It is a 4X4 and it has tow package and off-road package and it has E-lock.
Sorry to read about your situation.

A few folks have had a rear axle seal leak and others have had a grenaded differential...don't want those two situations to be combined and you to think that it's occurring everywhere.

If you bought it from the dealer, I hope they would work with you.

If you bought it used, then I'm afraid that you're going to be out the money.

You could contact Nissan USA to see if this problem can be resolved at that level...maybe they realize it happens more than coincidence.


Let us know how it turns out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought it from a dealer and I got extended warranty from them too. The extended warranty was through a company called EFG. They denied my warranty because the oil leak caused the rear axle to burn up and cause internal damage. I called them 2 months ago because I noticed some oil on my tire but did not think to look under it (dumb stupid decision on my part). They told me it is my responsibility to bring the vehicle in to get it fixed. They also told me the axle leak had been there for a while even if I did not made that phone call the inspector would have still denied my warranty because of the same reason. I had it for almost 6 months. Thank u guys for ur replys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
sorry to hear about ur misfortune man all these posts on here about rear end trouble is starting to really worry me about mine i tell you what if mine is going to go it had better go before 36000 miles or i am going to be pissed and some stealership is going to have an unenvited titan sitting in there showroom if you catch my drift
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha ha I don’t think u have to worry about it that much it usually happens to 04's I believe. I felt the same way when they told me that my warranty is denied and I almost cried $4100 working full time to save up money for next semester. Just finished my finals thank god it did not break on me at that time this is my only ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
george3111987 said:
I bought it from a dealer and I got extended warranty from them too. The extended warranty was through a company called EFG. They denied my warranty because the oil leak caused the rear axle to burn up and cause internal damage. I called them 2 months ago because I noticed some oil on my tire but did not think to look under it (dumb stupid decision on my part). They told me it is my responsibility to bring the vehicle in to get it fixed. They also told me the axle leak had been there for a while even if I did not made that phone call the inspector would have still denied my warranty because of the same reason. I had it for almost 6 months. Thank u guys for ur replys

Whoa! I'm a little confused. They denied your claim because you should've know an oil leak (oil you saw on a tire, if I understood correctly) would eventually cause the axle failure? That's a load! When you initially called did the insurance company advise you to take the vehicle in for a check-up/repairs? Did they tell you where the oil was coming from? I guess they could assume you had an axle leak a couple months ago (probably a safe assumption), but they don't definitively know that. Unless the inspector happens to be Gil Grissom and he has pictures of you beating on your truck I'd be very resistant to accepting responsibility for the axle failure. I'd go over your policy with a fine tooth comb and determine where the insurance company's responsibility ends and where yours picks up. If it doesn't specifically say owner must know that oil on a tire means axle failure within 2 months I'd fight their decision. I'm by no means an expert when it comes to dealing with insurance companies, so maybe someone else here can explain if I'm wrong. I have filed claims in the past and have never met that kind of resistence. I wouldn't give up so easily!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Also, has Nissan (or anyone else for that matter) determined was exactly causes these failures? I know there are a few threads here discussing this, but I've never seen anything definitive. Has the problem been corrected? And if so, how? I have an '04 and am thinking about buying an '08. I'd like to know all is well, especially if they discontinue the Titan as some folks here and elsewhere have suggested recently.

Trace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
they told me that it states in the warranty if i see any leaks i should bring it in the shop but i did not know at that time it was even from the axle. and i called them to find out how do i file a claim i did mention about the oil but i had no idea it would be from the axle or it would cause this kind of damage. the leak was inside the wheel so u would have to go under the truck to see it. the told me they would do nothing about it. i don't know what to do and i paid like 1500 for this warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nissan said that the axle failed because the oil level in the axle went low due to the leak and caused the axle to over heat and cause internal damage. but the ran truck (still does) fine no sound no warning lights nothing to indicate low oil level. i guess there is no warning lights for the axle fluid level.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,557 Posts
george3111987 said:
Nissan said that the axle failed because the oil level in the axle went low due to the leak and caused the axle to over heat and cause internal damage. but the ran truck (still does) fine no sound no warning lights nothing to indicate low oil level. i guess there is no warning lights for the axle fluid level.

Would you please go back to that dealer...and bring someone that has a set on them! You mean to tell me that you have an extended warranty and they won't cover it because....um....an diff oil leak? First off....am I on Candid Camera? Is the Funk man gonna jump out of my keyboard? C'mon! Even if the diff fluid was low...for whatever reason, that could eventually cause a diff failure, not a seal to leak!
With that said, why the heII would they tell you that you need a new rear end?....all you need to a new seal! Either you're misunderstanding something, I'm misunderstanding something, or your dealership needs a wake-up call! Call Nissan directly...you have a WARRANTY!"misslelau
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
george3111987 said:
they told me that it states in the warranty if i see any leaks i should bring it in the shop but i did not know at that time it was even from the axle. and i called them to find out how do i file a claim i did mention about the oil but i had no idea it would be from the axle or it would cause this kind of damage. the leak was inside the wheel so u would have to go under the truck to see it. the told me they would do nothing about it. i don't know what to do and i paid like 1500 for this warranty.
Okay dude, you got me worked up and it's not my truck! Does it say in the warranty that if you see a leak and you don't get it to a shop within 24 hours it's your fault? You did take it to the dealer eventually. EFG can suggest you follow a certain course of action (which you did). But that doesn't mean they are no longer responsible for fixing your truck! Hopefully you have a copy of your warranty. You need to read it! Don't take their word for it.

HudsonValleyTitan is right. This is a little hard to believe. Like he said, you need to take someone with you who is a little more assertive. Don't take "no" for an answer. Go to the dealer where you bought the truck/extended-warranty and give them hell! They need to make this right. If not, contact your local Better Business Bureau and hire an attorney. Maybe for a few hundred dollars, an attorney will make a few calls, apply some pressure, and help you get this resolved. Certainly cheaper than 4 grand!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok i just posted a copy of the warranty and some other papers let me know what do u guys think. i did made a phone call 2 months ago because i noticed some oil on my tire but i did not see the oil on pic img00288. they also told me that even if i did not made that phone call that would have still denied my warranty because i did not bring the truck before the oil leaked out completely.
if u guys need anything else let me know. i did erase some of my VIN # if u guys need it i will sent it to u. thanks again

community.webshots/album/561821045LrGXfC
just add .com after webshots
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
community.webshots/album/561821045LrGXfC
just add .com after webshots[/QUOTE]


I dunno why i can't get this link to work ...is there a MOD out there that can post the pics public??

thanks in advance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it should work just add .com after webshots make sure there is no space.
just for the info i bought this truck on 07/24/07
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top