Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I have searched and found some info about the 04 XE's not having the factory pigtail connector under the dash, however I have also found a post here that is by Carter Which says the wires are behind the kick panel which I do see there is a place where it looks like a plug can plug in with 3 pins. My question is does anyone know if there is a wire harness you can get from a dealer that plugs into that that will allow the pigtail connection. Also it is only 3 pin I am assuming maby no ground? I have a prodigy and was about to buy the titan connector but i do have the generic connector I can splice in if need be. I just need to know where to get started. If anyone knows if there is something that can plug into that white connector please let me know. I might try to get to the dealer tomorrow and see if they can show me a diagram maby of a SE to see if i can see what plugs into that spot.

Thanks for your help. This is my first Titan I bought it 2 days ago and need to tow my 7x16 enclosed trailer so just trying to get the prodigy hooked up. I will pick up the relays at the dealer tomorrow also.

·
Registered
493 Posts
yes there is a pigtail connector for that, i have an xe cc 4x4 non big-tow, i took my brothers pigtail that came w/ his armada which he didnt need and it snap right in. i too installed the prodigy controller.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to the dealer today and picked up the factory hitch with relays. Not a bad deal for a total package. I asked them if they can pull up a diagram that shows parts and they looked at me like I was crazy. I tried to explain that the 04 XE KC does not have the part under the dash to plug the pigtail into. He tried to show me a pigtail and I finally was able to explain it would not fit where I have to plug it in. So I stopped by where I bought my trailer and showed them the 3 pins I heard about in the post by Carter and they tested 2 with a test light and found the constant power and the brake switched line so it dont look like it will be a hard job to wire the Prodigy.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I had that same issue way back when. Then I took my truck to the dealer in Tucson, who had to solder in the wires from the Prodegy. It works. I must say this was poor planning on Corporate Nissan's part.

Please give a detailed report, if you ever find an easier solution. I still have the oem pigtail in the glove box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I would have been able to do it myself no problem but chose to have my trailer place do it. They just cut the wires off of the factory plug inside the kickpanel and and the factory hitch came with the instructions with wire color so they spliced my prodigy generic connector to that and then ran the ground. I havent hooked up to a trailer yet but my box does power on and off like it should and it worked with a test light. I plan on pulling my trailer tomorrow since it has been parked at my dads house for the past few weeks till i got everything straight to pull it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
There are already a few threads on this subject. A few too many, in my opinion, and some misinformation also. Therefore, I thought I would just consolidate what I learned on TT, and from my own experience.

My vehicle: 2004 XE King Cab, no big tow.
My brake controller: Tekonsha Prodigy

The 2004 XE without Big Tow is the only Titan NOT pre-wired for a brake controller. For all other Titans, you can buy a connector that plugs directly from your brake controller into a pigtail under the driver’s side dash (up high next to the wall).

The ‘4 XE models are prewired for trailer brake controllers except for this pigtail. The pigtail goes from behind the driver’s side kick panel to under the dash. By not putting pigtails in the XE, Nissan was able to price the XE model $0.60 less than the SE. Since you do not have the pigtail, you do not need to buy a connector. Just use the one that comes with the brake controller.

By hand, remove the driver’s side sill plate. It just pops up, and then slides back. This makes it easier to remove the kick panel.

To remove the driver’s side kick panel. Remove the fastener by pulling the center part out first, then pry out the whole fastener, and remove the kick panel. With the kick panel removed, there is an obvious white structure with several wiring receptacles attached to it. The top receptacle is the wiring for brake controllers. It has three wires to it. With your thumbnail, slide the electrical tape, back far enough to identify the colors. There should be a large red one, a brown/white one, and a red/green one. Remove the receptacle from the white structure by sliding it toward you.

12V+ Battery Power | Nissan-Red | Prodigy-Black
Trailer Brakes | Nissan-Brown w/ White Trace | Prodigy-Blue
Brake Switch Signal | Nissan-Red w/ Green Trace | Prodigy-Red
Ground | Nissan-none | Prodigy-White

To connect the controller wires, remove four to six inches of electrical tape from the wires. I used wire tap-in squeeze connectors (Radio Shack Model: 64-3052), “Connecting wires is a breeze with these handy connectors. Just insert the unstripped 18-14 gauge wire in the connector, push the contact down flush with the connector and snap the hinged cover in place. It is that easy! No stripping or splicing.” Using these connectors really is easy and leaves the existing receptacle intact. Slide the receptacle back on.

There is no ground wire to that receptacle. There is, however, a ground screw just below the white structure that goes into the body. It has a 10-mm head. Remove the screw. Scrape the paint off the recessed surface beneath the head. Crimp a solderless ring terminal to the white ground wire, put the screw through it, and reinstalled the screw.

That is it for the electrical. You might want to plug in the controller and check it out before you reinstall the kick panel and the sill plate.

I mounted the controller as far right as possible, but not interfering with the OBD2 connection. Use the bracket as a template, and drill into the metal dash beam.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice writeup! That should be able to clearly help anyone that has a 04xe. I am glad Nissan was able to save the $0.60 by not putting the connector like all other models. Im just glad they got it straight after 04. But its not too hard of a job.

·
Registered
226 Posts
sorry to bring back an old thread... but just wanted to say thanks! wiring my Tekonsha Prodigy to my '04 XE KC w/o BT using your write-up below worked perfectly!!! I had to find a ground slightly closer to the unit in order to not have to extend the ground wire on the prodigy wiring harness, but that was easy to do and everything worked out perfectly just as you described!

thanks again!

Nuke said:
There are already a few threads on this subject. A few too many, in my opinion, and some misinformation also. Therefore, I thought I would just consolidate what I learned on TT, and from my own experience.

The 2004 XE without Big Tow is the only Titan NOT pre-wired for a brake controller. For all other Titans, you can buy a connector that plugs directly from your brake controller into a pigtail under the driver’s side dash (up high next to the wall).

The ‘4 XE models are prewired for trailer brake controllers except for this pigtail. The pigtail goes from behind the driver’s side kick panel to under the dash. By not putting pigtails in the XE, Nissan was able to price the XE model $0.60 less than the SE. Since you do not have the pigtail, you do not need to buy a connector. Just use the one that comes with the brake controller.

By hand, remove the driver’s side sill plate. It just pops up, and then slides back. This makes it easier to remove the kick panel.

To remove the driver’s side kick panel. Remove the fastener by pulling the center part out first, then pry out the whole fastener, and remove the kick panel. With the kick panel removed, there is an obvious white structure with several wiring receptacles attached to it. The top receptacle is the wiring for brake controllers. It has three wires to it. With your thumbnail, slide the electrical tape, back far enough to identify the colors. There should be a large red one, a brown/white one, and a red/green one. Remove the receptacle from the white structure by sliding it toward you.

To connect the controller wires, remove four to six inches of electrical tape from the wires. I used wire tap-in squeeze connectors (Radio Shack Model: 64-3052), “Connecting wires is a breeze with these handy connectors. Just insert the unstripped 18-14 gauge wire in the connector, push the contact down flush with the connector and snap the hinged cover in place. It is that easy! No stripping or splicing.” Using these connectors really is easy and leaves the existing receptacle intact. Slide the receptacle back on.

There is no ground wire to that receptacle. There is, however, a ground screw just below the white structure that goes into the body. It has a 10-mm head. Remove the screw. Scrape the paint off the recessed surface beneath the head. Crimp a solderless ring terminal to the white ground wire, put the screw through it, and reinstalled the screw.

That is it for the electrical. You might want to plug in the controller and check it out before you reinstall the kick panel and the sill plate.

I mounted the controller as far right as possible, but not interfering with the OBD2 connection. Use the bracket as a template, and drill into the metal dash beam.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Nuke said:

I followed your instructions and there is only two wires in that plug BUT three pins. The red wire and brown wire was there. I'm gonna run with this and let the guys at the RV parts and repair read and follow your instructions and hopefully can get something done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Using this guide to hook up my Prodigy controller to my 04 XE non big-tow. I thought I had everything hooked up correctly, but the controller is showing the 2 little dots. According to the manual this means it's not recognizing the trailer.
- The trailer is plugged into the 7 pin controller
- The ground/power/brake all match up correctly using a testlight
- The trailer has a directly wired brakeaway switch; so should not be an issue.

HELP???

·
Registered
364 Posts
Using this guide to hook up my Prodigy controller to my 04 XE non big-tow. I thought I had everything hooked up correctly, but the controller is showing the 2 little dots. According to the manual this means it's not recognizing the trailer.
- The trailer is plugged into the 7 pin controller
- The ground/power/brake all match up correctly using a testlight
- The trailer has a directly wired brakeaway switch; so should not be an issue.

HELP???
I will say what I know, but there is nothing obvious. The first dot means you have power. The second dot means you have 'boost'. So I am guessing it's strictly a brake problem.

Check the "Nissan-Brown w/ White Trace | Prodigy-Blue" connection. If that's okay, then the prodigy should be connected properly.

Turn the key on, connect the trailer and twist the manual handle on the bottom of the prodigy. If you see numbers, you are golden.

I don't know of anything to check on the Nissan. If there is a wiring problem, I would suspect the trailer first. At the trailer plug, try touching 12V across the brake and ground wires and listen for them to actuate. Maybe you have a trailer brake wiring problem.

Good luck!:confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I will say what I know, but there is nothing obvious. The first dot means you have power. The second dot means you have 'boost'. So I am guessing it's strictly a brake problem.

Check the "Nissan-Brown w/ White Trace | Prodigy-Blue" connection. If that's okay, then the prodigy should be connected properly.

Turn the key on, connect the trailer and twist the manual handle on the bottom of the prodigy. If you see numbers, you are golden.
I actually redid this connection this morning - just in case. Same result.

Seems to me everything with the brake controller is setup correctly. The trailer itself is brand new, so you would think it would be all wired up correctly! I will see what I can figure out with the 7-pin..... Not sure how to check that exactly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I actually redid this connection this morning - just in case. Same result.

Seems to me everything with the brake controller is setup correctly. The trailer itself is brand new, so you would think it would be all wired up correctly! I will see what I can figure out with the 7-pin..... Not sure how to check that exactly.
So I found the issue! My truck was wired incorrectly. Had a local trailer place diagnose and fix it.

Sucked, but it all works now. Thanks to the forums, I got the relays I needed and my Prodigy controller all hooked up correctly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts