Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 cc 4x4 Tow package just under 180,000.
I am towing a puma palimino 27 footer.
Dry weight is is 6316 so I guess I am pulling 7500 give or take.
I just purchased the trailer and wanted to take it out on a short camping trip to get the feel of it .
Went about 30 miles out one way , southwest Alabama rolling hills nothing mountainous.
Before I got to my destination I was towing in tow mode an od. I know now not to!!!
The transmission temp got up to the hash mark before hot I was getting nervous!

Gauge Steering part Automotive design Measuring instrument Font

NOTE STOCK PHOTO FOUND ON INTERNET AND EDITED .

Well I made it that night I got on the forum for some research and education.

On the tow back I towed in tow mode and out of o.d. it did wonderful...until I got 5 miles from the house (it STILL never got as hot on the way home as it did going to ) it warmed up.
The first issue was when I merged into traffic then had a red light shortly after that needle got above 1/2 way .
Once red light let me go and I got more airflow ,and temp went back down.

Turned into rural road and reduced speed everything was fine needle rode in the middle.
1.5 miles from home I made a turn and noticed needle started to climb but went back down when I got straightened out !!!

So I said all of that to say this ....I have found out our Titans have a good cooling system for the oil ,transmission, and engine.
Can I just mount an electric fan in front of all of the cooling apparatus and run it off of a toggle switch for an extra boost of cooling when I need it?
Also I checked the condition of the fan clutch and I can spin it with one finger so that needs replacing and I know that but what are the pros and cons of mounting the cooling fan for extra insurance??!!?

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Two things I'd seriously think about checking, based on my own experience. Check your radiator (between the radiator and the AC condenser) for debris trapped there. My 2011 was overheating and trans temp was climbing and I found my radiator was heavily clogged on the driver's side. Second thing to check is whether or not your trans cooler is clogged. I swapped a new radiator and added an auxiliary trans cooler. Now my temps (engine and trans) are very manageable.

And I'm in northern Alabama. Tow my boat to Lake Martin fairly often and the Titan does great!

Reactions: ajef7885

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dubyam thanks for the reply .
I attempted to look into the cooling fins for debris bur there is so much stuff sandwiched together in that area , I am afraid I will have to start disassembling things to ge a air nozzle in there to blow out debris!

·
Registered
3 Posts
This brings a question to mind...

I have an 05 XE CC 4X4. Specs show it has a 6500# tow capacity.
My questions are,
If I upgrade the trans cooler to a more heavier duty model and make sure I have a good Class III hitch, what else should I worry about if I want to bump the tow capacity to, let's say...7500#?

I'm looking to buy a travel trailer with an empty weight somewhere near the 6000-ish pounds area and am not sure what all i should consider.

Thanks......

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
For a travel trailer of that weight (towed weight will be well north of the empty weight) the best upgrade you can do is buy a truck with a higher towing capacity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For a travel trailer of that weight (towed weight will be well north of the empty weight) the best upgrade you can do is buy a truck with a higher towing capacity.
That is what I was trying to avoid but deep down inside I kind of knew that was what I needed to do.

Been looking at a 19 or 20 Gen2 but didnt want to pull the trigger on doing that but, alas........lock and load:cool::cool:

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you have the factory tow disconect the the lines on the bottom of the radiator and trans cooler and blow them out with air. Make sure there is no blockage or sediment. The veins or fins are so fine they block easily with sediment from the trans. While disconected you can also blow through some brake parts cleaner just get it all out. Add a transcooler also I used the setrab type my temps dont ever move anymore, even towing they stay very low.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you have the factory tow disconect the the lines on the bottom of the radiator and trans cooler and blow them out with air. Make sure there is no blockage or sediment. The veins or fins are so fine they block easily with sediment from the trans. While disconected you can also blow through some brake parts cleaner just get it all out. Add a transcooler also I used the setrab type my temps dont ever move anymore, even towing they stay very low.

You say blow out bottom of radiator?
Pressurize line or just use blower nozzle ???

·
Registered
191 Posts
You say blow out bottom of radiator?
Pressurize line or just use blower nozzle ???
Use and air compressor and nozzle turn the pressure down and put the nozzle on one side let it blow out the other. The radiator has a built in transcooler at the very bottom of it. This helps cool the fluid as well as maintain heat in it when its cold. You also have a separate trans cooler in the front of you radiator. You can clean out both. Usually the problem is in the coolers themselves as the veins in the cooler are small compared to the inlet and outlet or actual lines the run to them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you checked the transmission fluid for signs of coolant egress? The early models have been known to have the area between the trans cooler and coolant part of the radiator to erode and allow coolant into tranny. Although it's not likely since yours does it after a length of towing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you checked the transmission fluid for signs of coolant egress? The early models have been known to have the area between the trans cooler and coolant part of the radiator to erode and allow coolant into tranny. Although it's not likely since yours does it after a length of towing.

I havent un bolted the dipstick since i got out of it day before yesterday ( personal issues have kept me away).
When I got the truck I put mobil 1 every where I could. I like RP but my local store didn't have correct weight for my diffs . So I just went to mobil 1. Getting back to topic I debated on doing a spill and fill but the fluid in the transmission looked good so I left it.
But I dont know if getting as hot as I did I burnt fluid and need to replace as much of it as I can ?!??

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the factory tow package on my 04 with big mirrors, etc. I towed a lot and up to 10k trailer with my 04 a couple times and the secret I learned was the tow mode button does almost nothing but alter the shift points. To keep the trans cool I had to press the manual shift button on the end of the shifter and it stays perfectly cool. I believe it limits the gears to 4th. On my 18 the tow button works great. If you are already doing that I would take it to Nissan and have a fluid change. I don't trust the average shop on the Transmission fluid change (its usually $199 at my dealer so you aren't saving much to go elsewhere, pre Covid price anyway).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so just a few things I have running through my noggin ....#1 if I chose to bypass the transmission cooling portion of the radiator as insurance from coolant contamination how big of a aftermarket cooler would I need to purchase to replace the lost cooling capacity. #2 if I purchase an aftermarket transmission cooler and route it in series with existing cooler should I place it in front of radiator or would it be feasible to mount it horizontally underneath the truck?

I intend to clean the all of the cooling fins I can get to as best I can .

Replace the fan clutch (when i find a decent priced one) and replace as much transmission fluid as I can with valvoline max life !!

Does this sound logical and feasible?
An aftermarket cooler in series with what is already on the truck seems like cheap insurance to me ??!!?

I also intend to start shifting the truck more manually as I see fit instead of allowing the computer/ transmission choose the gears !!!

·
Premium Member
21,742 Posts
Replace the fan clutch (when i find a decent priced one) and replace as much transmission fluid as I can with valvoline max life !!
Before you replace the fan clutch, get the engine up to operating temperature - good and hot. Then try to spin the fan (with the engine off). It should be somewhat stiff. When the engine is cold the fan should spin easily. If it always spins easily then the clutch is bad.

There is an excellent write-up on how to install an aftermarket transmission cooler somewhere on the forum.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just purchased the trailer and wanted to take it out on a short camping trip to get the feel of it .
Went about 30 miles out one way , southwest Alabama rolling hills nothing mountainous.
Before I got to my destination I was towing in tow mode an od. I know now not to!!!

View attachment 555900

On the tow back I towed in tow mode and out of o.d. it did wonderful...until I got 5 miles from the house (it STILL never got as hot on the way home as it did going to ) it warmed up.
The first issue was when I merged into traffic then had a red light shortly after that needle got above 1/2 way .

Turned into rural road and reduced speed everything was fine needle rode in the middle.
1.5 miles from home I made a turn and noticed needle started to climb but went back down when I got straightened out !!!

So I said all of that to say this ....I have found out our Titans have a good cooling system for the oil ,transmission, and engine.
Can I just mount an electric fan in front of all of the cooling apparatus and run it off of a toggle switch for an extra boost of cooling when I need it?
Also I checked the condition of the fan clutch and I can spin it with one finger so that needs replacing and I know that but what are the pros and cons of mounting the cooling fan for extra insurance??!!?
I bypassed my bottom radiator with a tranny cooler.

View attachment 555900

I bypassed my bottom radiator with a Derale tranny tube and fin cooler. Fits perfect on the front passenger side under the bumper.. It’s been 10 years at least, I think it was the 6000 around 100 bucks. Never have a problem in Florida heat.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I bypassed my bottom radiator with a tranny cooler.

I bypassed my bottom radiator with a Derale tranny tube and fin cooler. Fits perfect on the front passenger side under the bumper.. It’s been 10 years at least, I think it was the 6000 around 100 bucks. Never have a problem in Florida heat. Checked my paper work! Long tru cool tube and fin cooler.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts