Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, been reading up a lot on here about exhaust sytems. I am still unsure of which would make better power?

What would make more power the 07+ style dual pipes from headers or upgrade my Y to the Magnaflow unit?

I have a set of Stillen headers ready to put on as well as a 22" Magnaflow muffler. I would like my exhaust on the quieter side with little drone as I will be using the truck on long road trips pulling a trailer.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Hey guys, been reading up a lot on here about exhaust sytems. I am still unsure of which would make better power?

What would make more power the 07+ style dual pipes from headers or upgrade my Y to the Magnaflow unit?

I have a set of Stillen headers ready to put on as well as a 22" Magnaflow muffler. I would like my exhaust on the quieter side with little drone as I will be using the truck on long road trips pulling a trailer.
Both Y pipe and 07+ pipe will perform great but honestly I'd go with the 07+ exhaust and run true duals. I gained almost .1 in the 1/4 mile going from my Y pipe setup to borla true duals. Tested them 1 week apart at the track. You will hear all kinds of different opinions but ask them if they've tested it like me. LOL

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
So, I'll try to help but with realistic observations for you. Better power and "quiet" do not mix on a Titan, especially on the exhaust. If you're putting on Stillen headers, my guess is that alone will bump up your sound quite a bit. A 22" maggie is surely the safest bet for sound, but if you're pulling a trailer on long trips, most likely you will be in the "drone" speed area the whole time when pulling. I have 2.94 gears and a full 07+ maggie catback on my truck. I believe it is actually a 24" muffler that came with this part number. I have pretty good drone between 1600-1800 rpms. This is the 65mph-72mph zone.

Having said that, I believe there are things that can be done to reduce that sound with either resonator tips or some kind of inline "sound reducer" out of the back of the muffler. Not sure what they call it.

Regardless, I will say from experience that I get drone and a decent amount, and when towing, it's even more prevalent because I don't like to get above 75mph when doing so....

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Well from what I've seen to get the best performance and quiet exhaust is to try the new flowmaster hush series mufflers. I've seen them in several truck magazines and seen them on the speed channel. Supposedly they are just a tad louder than stock exhaust but not too loud to annoy you. I don't know if magnaflow makes a hush series but you can always check.

Heres a quick link:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/Hushpower/?gclid=CMCjiJjx_qkCFYtb7AodQUwBzw

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
924 Posts

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
So, I'll try to help but with realistic observations for you. Better power and "quiet" do not mix on a Titan, especially on the exhaust. If you're putting on Stillen headers, my guess is that alone will bump up your sound quite a bit. A 22" maggie is surely the safest bet for sound, but if you're pulling a trailer on long trips, most likely you will be in the "drone" speed area the whole time when pulling. I have 2.94 gears and a full 07+ maggie catback on my truck. I believe it is actually a 24" muffler that came with this part number. I have pretty good drone between 1600-1800 rpms. This is the 65mph-72mph zone.

Having said that, I believe there are things that can be done to reduce that sound with either resonator tips or some kind of inline "sound reducer" out of the back of the muffler. Not sure what they call it.

Regardless, I will say from experience that I get drone and a decent amount, and when towing, it's even more prevalent because I don't like to get above 75mph when doing so....
I'd be willing to bet that if you went to a 2.25" true dual setup that you'd hit the 14's easy on a good night. I can almost promise you that! I went from a corrected time of 14.09 to a corrected time of a 13.95 with true duals.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am about to go the other way and install a partial JBA system 3 inch single because I dont want to cut up my factory exhaust, and then I can bolt it all on myself.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that if you went to a 2.25" true dual setup that you'd hit the 14's easy on a good night
Don't want to hijack the thread, but just a question. So you think using the DI/SO muffler is restricting me that much? Where do you go with the second muffler if I go to true duals? Also, why do I get the feeling that would increase the sound considerably regardless of the muffler type????

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Don't want to hijack the thread, but just a question. So you think using the DI/SO muffler is restricting me that much? Where do you go with the second muffler if I go to true duals? Also, why do I get the feeling that would increase the sound considerably regardless of the muffler type????
Souns shouldnt increase that much if any. Maybe just the tone for the better IMO. I ran a di/so muffler & gained .1 with a cutout right b4 it. Then gained another .1 from y setup to true duals, so there is .2 for you to gain. Di/so mufflers are restrictive compared to si/so.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
My best run with the 07 pipes and 22" magnaflow was a 13.900, added uprev and changed to duel 14" M/F's went a best of 13.665.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
My best run with the 07 pipes and 22" magnaflow was a 13.900, added uprev and changed to duel 14" M/F's went a best of 13.665.
See what I mean people^^^^^^ And I can promise you guys that if Titanss ran dual cutouts in there he'd gain a little more too. The fastest trucks in the world all run true duals and cutouts. Next track outing I'm going to unbolt the pipe from the headers and run straight headers to see if cutouts would help me:) Y pipe setups are good..........Not great!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts