Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,
So my 05 titan still has the brake judder.
After talking with the service manager he told me to go directly to Nissan.

After calling Nissan they told me they would give me a 250.00 credit.

If I buy these new rotors from Nissan are they going to have the same problem?

I'd be getting a great savings since I'd be getting 250.00 off but I'd hate to have to buy more at after the warranty runs out.

The warranty is only 12 months 12,000.

Has anyone got the new factory rotors?

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I had the brake judder TSB done when I had only a couple thousand miles on my new Titan in early 2006. I'm only at 24,000 now, but no problems with the redesigned Nissan rotors.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think Nissan is being very generous with it's offer on a 6 year old vehicle.

You should be fine, but you must replace all the rotors and pads (using Nissan brake pad kits, not just pads). Front and rear brakes must both be done.

If you want to save some money, you can your rotors turned USING AN ON-CAR BRAKE LATH. You cannot have them turned off the truck. Rotor run-out cannot exceed .002"

The TSB (service bulletin) on the repair is NTB04-066e. There is more to this fix than just slapping on new rotors. I only have a hard copy (it's 21 pages long) - maybe someone else has a pdf version. If not, and you have a dial indicator (and the fixtures to mount it) to check the rotor runout, I will either give you the highlights, or try to create a pdf file for you.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I had my 05 done with total replacement of the brakes/rotors (fronts and backs). There were no issues after that, and as stated were backed by Nissan's 1yr/12k mile warranty.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Hey,
So my 05 titan still has the brake judder.
After talking with the service manager he told me to go directly to Nissan.

After calling Nissan they told me they would give me a 250.00 credit.

If I buy these new rotors from Nissan are they going to have the same problem?

I'd be getting a great savings since I'd be getting 250.00 off but I'd hate to have to buy more at after the warranty runs out.

The warranty is only 12 months 12,000.

Has anyone got the new factory rotors?

I had the TSB done back when I had my 04. The rears are not the problem and are not part of the TSB other than pads. The fronts are the important parts that should be changed. Use the $250 towards getting them done.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had the TSB done back when I had my 04. The rears are not the problem and are not part of the TSB other than pads. The fronts are the important parts that should be changed. Use the $250 towards getting them done.
The TSB I referenced states otherwise. Page 2, Step 8:

"Resurface the rear brake rotors using the Pro-Cut On-Car Brake Lathe and install new rear brake pad kit with M77 grease."

If you can't get them turned on the truck, they should be replaced.

Many owners had the judder return after a dealer did the work because they didn't follow the TSB. It doesn't take 21 pages of instructions to slap on a couple of rotors and pads.

luttrell1874 - I agree that the front brakes are the most important and you do what you want. The TSB warranty flat rate time to replace front , and turn rear, rotors (install new pad kits) is 2.9 hrs. If new rear rotors are installed, it is 2.5 hrs. Be aware that the dealer would probably charge more time for "customer pay" work.

·
Premium Member
17,240 Posts
I'd be getting a great savings since I'd be getting 250.00 off
You need to see a written itemized estimate on the total job and then compare that estimate with the same work at non-dealer mechanics and brake shops before making that decision.

If the dealer attempts to rape you, RAPE - $250 is still RAPE. I have seen numerous posts where the dealer charges 2 or 3X what a part should cost and a labor rate of $500 per hour based on how long the job actually takes.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
The TSB I referenced states otherwise. Page 2, Step 8:

"Resurface the rear brake rotors using the Pro-Cut On-Car Brake Lathe and install new rear brake pad kit with M77 grease."

If you can't get them turned on the truck, they should be replaced.

Many owners had the judder return after a dealer did the work because they didn't follow the TSB. It doesn't take 21 pages of instructions to slap on a couple of rotors and pads.

luttrell1874 - I agree that the front brakes are the most important and you do what you want. The TSB warranty flat rate time to replace front , and turn rear, rotors (install new pad kits) is 2.9 hrs. If new rear rotors are installed, it is 2.5 hrs. Be aware that the dealer would probably charge more time for "customer pay" work.
Which is what I said. Nothing other then pads are changed in the rear. The rotors are ALWAYS cut before new pads are installed....that should be a given. Even if they were cut before and had to be replaced, they're replaced with the same exact rotor....hence my statement of nothing changing in the rear except the pads. The fronts are what get "upgraded"...not the rear.

I should also add that the brake judder was a front only problem, not the rear.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I had the brakes done under warranty on my last 04 @ about 6k miles IIRC. They never gave me any more problems up until 75k miles (turned in @ lease end).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey,
I thought I'd give everyone an update.
I went ahead and used the 250 to buy 2 front rotors and 2 rear rotors. I ended up spending 80.00 out of my pocket.
I got my new pads into. I went with the EBC Green stuff. I have used these pads in the past on other cars and trucks and had great luck with them.
I'm going to install everything this week and I'll post how the installation went then after 5k miles i'll post again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got the TSB done at about 8,000 and they lasted till about 68,000 no lie...Just upgraded to frozen rotors and hawk pads....AWESOME!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts