Nissan Titan Forum banner

05 Titan Random No Start No Crank Then Cranks and Starts

19K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  2006titanse4x4 
#1 ·
So I have a 2005 Nissan Titan with a random No Start No Crank sometimes "dings" at the starter and sometimes just clicks around the IPDM under the passenger side hood. I just posted a video to YouTube so you can here what it's doing

I'm trying not to take it to the local Nissan Dealership and here's what I've replaced up to this point: new battery, new starter, new positive and negative cable, cleaned all grounds in Engine Bay, ECM Relay, Starter Relay, and Ignition Relay in the IPDM. I'm down to thinking it's the IPDM, Key (only have one key), or the ignition switch (sometimes it dings with the door open BUT the key is not in the ignition at all). I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction before bringing it to the dealership. Has anyone had to replace the ignition switch, whether it's the lock cylinder or ignition switch wiring harness to alleviate these random no starts?? It has 151,000 miles on it and in good shape besides this no start, which occurs frequently with the cold winter here in North Dakota. Any feedback would greatly be appreciated. I'm mechanically inclined so I'd much rather do the work myself instead of a dealership.

#2 ·
So I have a 2005 Nissan Titan with a random No Start No Crank sometimes "dings" at the starter and sometimes just clicks around the IPDM under the passenger side hood. I just posted a video to YouTube so you can here what it's doing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd2WcmoI5ag&t=1s

I'm trying not to take it to the local Nissan Dealership and here's what I've replaced up to this point: new battery, new starter, new positive and negative cable, cleaned all grounds in Engine Bay, ECM Relay, Starter Relay, and Ignition Relay in the IPDM. I'm down to thinking it's the IPDM, Key (only have one key), or the ignition switch (sometimes it dings with the door open BUT the key is not in the ignition at all). I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction before bringing it to the dealership. Has anyone had to replace the ignition switch, whether it's the lock cylinder or ignition switch wiring harness to alleviate these random no starts?? It has 151,000 miles on it and in good shape besides this no start, which occurs frequently with the cold winter here in North Dakota. Any feedback would greatly be appreciated. I'm mechanically inclined so I'd much rather do the work myself instead of a dealership.
My 07 seems to be doing the same thing. It has been doing it for at least the last 10k miles. It's currently at 133k. I figured mine was a starter or relay going bad and didn't worry about it too much. Just thought I would change it when it finally keeled over. Now, seeing everything you have changed has me wondering what it could be. Hopefully some of the smart guys chime in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I seen where you changed starter already. From sound it sounds like starter trying to engage. Did you replace starter with a new or rebuilt starter? What brand or what auto parts house.
On my 05 Titan I've replace starter relay four times already and every once in a awhile it does "click" try again and it fires right up. It can go for weeks before it happens again. My Titan has 207,400 on it.

#4 · (Edited)
I first replaced starter with rebuilt autozone starter, still had issues so i replaced that with a new starter from Autozone. It was fine for a few weeks then back to square one. Have you replaced Ipdm with c model to remedy the issue? I still have white ipdm but ive replaced the starter relay, ign relay, and ecm relay...no change. Im thinking it could be the ECM itself since it seems temp related and from other posts on here. Do you live in area with cold winters? I really dont want to get rid of this truck but i cant have an unreliable vehicle while ice fishing miles out from shore...any other ideas?

#12 ·
I first replaced starter with rebuilt autozone starter, still had issues so i replaced that with a new starter from Autozone. It was fine for a few weeks then back to square one. Have you replaced Ipdm with c model to remedy the issue? I still have white ipdm but ive replaced the starter relay, ign relay, and ecm relay...no change. Im thinking it could be the ECM itself since it seems temp related and from other posts on here. Do you live in area with cold winters? I really dont want to get rid of this truck but i cant have an unreliable vehicle while ice fishing miles out from shore...any other ideas?
[

#5 ·
Clean all the grounds under the battery shelf. Also clean the starter ground, the engine to chassis ground and the chassis to batter ground. (If I recall the started ground goes to the chassis and then battery)

you need to remove the wheel cowling to pop the clip that holds it down.

#6 ·
My younger brother is a mechanic by trade with his own shop, cleaning all grounds was one of the first thing we did to truck, made it better and then we changed out starter relay, twice more after that. Dealer did all recalls and they also changed out starter relay also!
So here is today and truck hum's along and runs hard. Just every once in a blue moon "click"! No we didn't change IDM yet! Brother does a bunch of them on Dodge trucks.
Maybe that is next!

#7 ·
The fix for my issue was a new starter along with wire brushing the mating surface where starter contacts the block for grounding itself AND a new 2 awg wire from battery to starter. Don't use reman or new Autozone starter (stick with the TYC Mitsubishi starter). I hope this helps someone out!

#8 ·

#10 ·

#13 ·
My 06 with 107000 just stopped starting altogether last night. I'm going to try to Crank it over and over cause it was so late last night I just had it towed home after trying a few times. Also couldn't have to do with cold weather cause I'm in so. Cal it was in the middle of the night, but probably 67 degrees outside. I think I'm going to replace the ignition relay already switched it with the one for the fog lights and it didn't work. Sorry I'm not sure what all these part's are actually called I'm trying to follow all the threads and I think I'm catching on. Thanks for everything to everyone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.