Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, gonna need some opinions on this one,

Just got back from an oil change and they said my trans cooler lines were leaking and I was a little low on coolant. I've had to top off my coolant before so this is a little concerning. Trans fluid looks dirty but not a milkshaky.

I know the titans have a history of the internal plastics cracking and feeding coolant into the trans and I was wondering if this is what I'm starting to see.

If so, I have found the Long Tru-Cool LPD Transmission Oil Cooler 4588 19,000 GVW External Trans Cooler, would I need to replace the radiator as well?

I've also found the STILLEN NISSAN TITAN, ARMADA / INFINITI QX56 PREMIUM HIGH-PERFORMANCE ALUMINUM RADIATOR - 401446
Which also shows it can do internal Trans Cooling like the OEM but better build

So do I need to replace a bunch of parts?

If I need to replace, can I do it in sections or could it be best to do at once?
Would it even be a good idea to do the external trans cooler because of the cold Nebraska temps?

What's your guy's opinions on this

Wood Font Musical instrument Tints and shades Metal
Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Tread Bumper

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
If I were you I'd do the radiator and auxiliary trans cooler together and soon. I did mine a year ago and it was a good swap. If you have the coin, I recommend the Koyorad all-aluminum radiator, but if that's not in your budget, Koyo also makes a plastic tank radiator which is good quality.

I'd still do the bypass even in Nebraska. If you find the trans isn't coming up to sufficient temp, you can use some corrugated plastic to block airflow to your cooler or install a thermostatic bypass valve in line.

Reactions: Cgeiger98

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro4x
669 Posts
If I were you I'd do the radiator and auxiliary trans cooler together and soon. I did mine a year ago and it was a good swap. If you have the coin, I recommend the Koyorad all-aluminum radiator, but if that's not in your budget, Koyo also makes a plastic tank radiator which is good quality.

I'd still do the bypass even in Nebraska. If you find the trans isn't coming up to sufficient temp, you can use some corrugated plastic to block airflow to your cooler or install a thermostatic bypass valve in line.
Solid advice. On my 08’ I opted for the cheaper OEM Koyorad and it was a straight forward simple replacement. I replaced all the hoses with new, surely will last another 10 years… definitely the budget friendly option.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Does the Koyo have the same fitment issues as the CSF?

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I had zero fitment issues with the all-aluminum Koyo.

·
Registered
2008 Nissan Titan has 302,000 miles on it still going strong
4 Posts
I put a CSF radiator in my 08 works great. I also switched to electric fan . I also had leaky trans hoes went to nissan bought replacements.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just did a CSF all aluminum on my '13. Install went great. Replaced trans cooler lines with trans hose sold by the foot and replaced all coolant / PCV lines while I was in there.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Do you remember if you had to add trans fluid to the external cooler?

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I added just a small amount to accommodate the added volume. I bought two quarts and between some slight leakage and the added volume, I ended up adding about a quart or just over, if I recall correctly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts