Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a nissan titan 05 with 144,400 miles on it . Great truck. Had a question about axle seal in the rear. Is it leaking ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks like your axel seal is leaking. And without proper tools you will have to get creative. To get bearings off axel once out use cut off wheel and chisel. Getting new bearings on probably could grease axel and use pipe and hammer to knock into place.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Honestly I don't know but! You can add some 75w 140 syn gear oil to recover what's lost. Fill till over flow. Now this will give you starting point to figure out how much your losing. Maybe check it again in week or couple days. Meanwhile you could call around get quotes on axle seals/bearing change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appericate it but one more thing the oil stain not fresh or anything.. Its actually kinda hard like a old oil stain

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah but still may want to atleast check rear diff oil level. Pull plug on rear diff should be middle way up rear diffrential cover. Maybe 3/8" socket wrench will fit plug. Remove plug use finger or hose that fits to see how high level is. To be sure there is good oil level. Gives peace of mine

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
If you don't check your diff fluid level regularly, you will regret it when it fails, and you find out it wasnt such an old stain after all. If you check it now, and it's full, and it's full next week, and at two weeks, and at four weeks, and at 3mo, then you could declare it's an old stain and has been fixed. But ignoring the stain because you think it's old without checking the diff fluid is begging for trouble. It takes 5min to check the diff fluid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check the fluid and make sure it is full but also get some brake cleaner and clean off the old residue. Check it periodically for the next few weeks and see if you get any new oil or residue build up. Easiest way to find out if it is from an old leak or active leak without taking things apart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts