Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks, thanks for being welcoming in my first few posts. Warhammer's build post inspired me to do one as well (not nearly as cool, let's be clear). This is just a space to keep track of what I've been doing.

I know a lot of you are obsessive about doing things perfectly. I care, but I've found I just don't manage time as well as some parents, so a lot of what you're going to see is "this is pretty good for the time I have available," followed up by "well, that was a mistake, I shouldn't have half-a$$sed it."

My plans for the build are to make it safe, not too obnoxiously ugly, and use it for light offroading/camping/skiing access. It's a 2006 LE, I'm the second owner, and it was previously a fleet vehicle in Utah. 125,000 miles, I bought it in May 2022.

It had tiger-stripe clear coat failure everywhere, bald tires, dents EVERYWHERE, oil leaking, axle seal failure, broken side mirror, HVAC switch nonsense, cloudy headlights, tired suspension, etc. But, the miles were relatively low, and the engine sounded good!

Here's how it looked when I bought it:

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Cloud

The very first thing I did was fix the oil leak by replacing the oil cooler gasket with the nissan gasket, and then put some amazon cheapo hood struts in, so I could check the oil without the hood banging me in the head.

Office supplies Font Writing implement Musical instrument Electric blue

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Following the stickied thread for refreshing a first-gen titan, I moved on to leaf spring shackles.

Gas Tints and shades Art Artifact Metal

GUYS, I WAS REALLY DUMB. Don't be like me. I lifted the truck by the differential housing, instead of the frame. So of course, when I removed the final bolt, the leaf spring SPRUNG upward, making a nice dent in my bed. A little hammer work and floor jack repositioning later, I got everything right.

There really is a big difference between the OEM shackles and aftermarket replacements- better welds, and more of them.

I also put in a new wiper fluid pump (mine wouldn't ... pump).

Gas Auto part Camera accessory Machine Optical instrument

I also removed and cleaned the axle vent. Not sure why, since the right axle seal has failed, but I guess I wanted to see how bad it was. [Narrator: It was bad.] After cleaning:

Hand Cigar Writing implement Wood Office supplies

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Welcome to the Titantalk family!

I'll save you some trouble and at least one "well I should have..." moment. Go read the thread on the axle vent issue and solution in the Gen1 FAQ and How to section and do it now. When you replace the seals on the axles you will be all set. Because that little factory vent is garbage. You can use the toyota or nissan part, whichever is cheaper, and some fuel line, zip ties, and a fuel filter without a check valve. Or you can buy the kit from Cajun to avoid sourcing parts. Might save some cash sourcing your own parts, but the trade is time. Whichever you feel is most valuable, save that.

Reactions: beattruck

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
If you just have a weeping seal, you might get lucky and modding the vent will make it stop weeping. Some guys got really lucky like that. A quick search says the parts will run you roughly $23-25, and the kit runs anywhere from possibly as low as $25 on up to $50, depending on where you source it.

Reactions: Ride and beattruck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Howdy folks, thanks for being welcoming in my first few posts. Warhammer's build post inspired me to do one as well (not nearly as cool, let's be clear). This is just a space to keep track of what I've been doing.

I know a lot of you are obsessive about doing things perfectly. I care, but I've found I just don't manage time as well as some parents, so a lot of what you're going to see is "this is pretty good for the time I have available," followed up by "well, that was a mistake, I shouldn't have half-a$$sed it."

My plans for the build are to make it safe, not too obnoxiously ugly, and use it for light offroading/camping/skiing access. It's a 2006 LE, I'm the second owner, and it was previously a fleet vehicle in Utah. 125,000 miles, I bought it in May 2022.

It had tiger-stripe clear coat failure everywhere, bald tires, dents EVERYWHERE, oil leaking, axle seal failure, broken side mirror, HVAC switch nonsense, cloudy headlights, tired suspension, etc. But, the miles were relatively low, and the engine sounded good!

Here's how it looked when I bought it:

View attachment 562654

The very first thing I did was fix the oil leak by replacing the oil cooler gasket with the nissan gasket, and then put some amazon cheapo hood struts in, so I could check the oil without the hood banging me in the head.

View attachment 562655
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Sky Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought the truck with some beat Toyo Open Country MT tires in LT 295/70R/17. They looked cool, but were pretty "flat," likely from a lot of highway driving.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs

I replaced them with BFG AT tires in 295/70R17. I like them, but it "feels" like I lost some height. The tire shop guys managed to break one of my rear wheel studs, so I'll have to take care of that another day.

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Cloud

I also threw on some Bilstein 5100s on the rear, as I still had the OEM shocks in place.

Automotive tire Gas Tints and shades Automotive exhaust Pipeline transport

Automotive tire Hood Asphalt Automotive lighting Rocket

The shocks were shot, so this has made a very nice improvement to the ride.

Lots more to do, have a great week everyone.

·
Registered
2004 Titan SE 4x4 Big Tow
117 Posts
Do you have any rubbing issues with the 295s?

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
For reference, 295/70R17 (the size the OP lists above) are 33.3" tall, and 11.8" wide, roughly. That's only slightly wider (~3/4") than the OEM tires on a Pro4X Gen1 Titan, and within a tenth of an inch in height. That size will fit almost all bone stock Titans (excluding some of the earliest 2wd trucks which had much lower front ends). Shouldn't rub at all.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Happy to help. One more quick hit - not all 17" wheels will fit later Gen1 Titans (the 2008-2015 trucks). Only a select few will fit due to the large brake calipers on the front. Almost all (but not quite all) 18" wheels will fit, but there's a thread around here somewhere about 17s which fit.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Your hitting all the usual suspects so far. Keep an eye on the ATF cooling hoses. I've had EVERY LAST ONE BURST sooner or later. Finally replaced THEM ALL with stainless steel braided hose from the Harley. And the exhaust manifolds are likely cracked on the back side where you can't see it. When cold start, you'll hear it ticking kinda like a lifter until the manifold warms up and the crack grows shut. I couldn't justify headers and the re-tune needed for that and aftermarket replacements were prone to crack even worse so I took them off and weld the cracks up and ran them till the cats finally clogged up. I finally found these at Rock Auto, that are reinforced in the crack zone and they are holding up good so far, and that's a really good price. Good Luck
2005 NISSAN TITAN 5.6L V8
AP / EASTERN​
641353Catalytic Converter
$ 302.79​
$ 0.00​
1​
$ 302.79​
AP / EASTERN​
641354Catalytic Converter
$ 302.79​
$ 0.00​
1​
$ 302.79​

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your hitting all the usual suspects so far. Keep an eye on the ATF cooling hoses. I've had EVERY LAST ONE BURST sooner or later. Finally replaced THEM ALL with stainless steel braided hose from the Harley. And the exhaust manifolds are likely cracked on the back side where you can't see it. When cold start, you'll hear it ticking kinda like a lifter until the manifold warms up and the crack grows shut. I couldn't justify headers and the re-tune needed for that and aftermarket replacements were prone to crack even worse so I took them off and weld the cracks up and ran them till the cats finally clogged up. I finally found these at Rock Auto, that are reinforced in the crack zone and they are holding up good so far, and that's a really good price. Good Luck
2005 NISSAN TITAN 5.6L V8
AP / EASTERN​
641353Catalytic Converter
$ 302.79​
$ 0.00​
1​
$ 302.79​
AP / EASTERN​
641354Catalytic Converter
$ 302.79​
$ 0.00​
1​
$ 302.79​
Jim, thanks for the great advice.

When each ATF hose failed, how did you find out? I assume you wouldn't see a warning light, except of course your ATF temp gauge would spike. I'd love to know what to watch out for, since I realistically won't get around to replacing them immediately.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts