Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 07 has a clicking sound when pulling off or backing up. only clicks 2-3 times then is fine after about the third stop light until i go back to park or reverse then starts over. dealer has no clue, i go back in tommorow so they can try some more experiments. 2 more on this site describe same thing with no answers yet. any ideas would help before monday. techs need all the help they can get, not real knowledgeable at my dealer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have heard the clicking on my 2004 SE 4x4 . Not very loud, just a few clicks. Doesn't seem to slipping or anything. I haven't taken it to the dealer for it yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dealer put in a new driveshaft, still clicked. same day they took the driveshaft back out and antisiezed the pinion and driveshaft flange, put it back together and it is quiter and harder to reproduce. still present though. my thought is the slip yoke was dry from the factory and got a little luberication from putting new one in. can the slip yoke be removed and greased in the spline socket and put back on without effecting tolerences. (no factory installed grease fitting.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have the same exact problem...dealer has no clue... im just goning keep reporting it, driving it, towing with it, then WHEN it breaks, ill send it in for warrenty and demand they FIX MY ****** TICKING NOISE :futwice:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
my truck got better after second time the driveshaft got put in, in same day. i believe it is the slip yoke that is unlubricated because when they took the drive shaft out and reinstalled it the noise is more intermittent now where as before it was everytime i took off in both forward and reverse. i am thinking take the driveshaft out again, put some grease in the yoke splines and see what happens. thats the only movable part of my truck they could have effected when they changed the driveshaft. the new driveshaft made the same noise until they took it out again and put it back together.then it got a little better.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I read something about a clicking/ticking noise caused by the sh1tty fake chrome plastic wheel covers they are using now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have plain steel wheels. thanks though. it is defineintly something to do with driveshaft because it has gotten a little better since they removed and reinstalled it twice.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I had the same issue you guys are discribing. I put my truck up on the rack and jerked the drive train up and down it moved a little, which it shouldn't and the noise went away??? Doesn't make any sense. It's been approximately 2 weeks and 1000 miles later and no noise. Dunno???

·
Registered
120 Posts
Gene S. said:
my 07 has a clicking sound when pulling off or backing up. only clicks 2-3 times then is fine after about the third stop light until i go back to park or reverse then starts over. dealer has no clue, i go back in tommorow so they can try some more experiments. 2 more on this site describe same thing with no answers yet. any ideas would help before monday. techs need all the help they can get, not real knowledgeable at my dealer.
i notice the same thing in my Titan... and my brother's. for awhile there, everytime when i put it into gear, i thought my tranny was gonna jump out of the engine compartment.:jester:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Gene S. said:
dealer put in a new driveshaft, still clicked. same day they took the driveshaft back out and antisiezed the pinion and driveshaft flange, put it back together and it is quiter and harder to reproduce. still present though. my thought is the slip yoke was dry from the factory and got a little luberication from putting new one in. can the slip yoke be removed and greased in the spline socket and put back on without effecting tolerences. (no factory installed grease fitting.)
Unless you know what type of grease is in there, I would not adding any. Some types of grease or not compatible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am making them grease the slip yoke on monday. they are doing it because they dont have any answers so they are trying my suggestion. hopefully they will use hi end grease, thats what i asked for. i will also inspect the splines myself after the tech removes the driveshaft. they are willing to work with me to try and solve the problem. the tech hot-line is slow to get back with the dealer with thier ideas, so we are trying mine. slip-yoke bind could make the clicking(popping) sound. its not the rear or transfer case, because the sound got better after the driveshaft was removed and reinstalled.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Gene S. said:
I am making them grease the slip yoke on monday. they are doing it because they dont have any answers so they are trying my suggestion. hopefully they will use hi end grease, thats what i asked for. i will also inspect the splines myself after the tech removes the driveshaft. they are willing to work with me to try and solve the problem. the tech hot-line is slow to get back with the dealer with thier ideas, so we are trying mine. slip-yoke bind could make the clicking(popping) sound. its not the rear or transfer case, because the sound got better after the driveshaft was removed and reinstalled.
Really weird isn't it? Like I said previously, mine got better and the noise has never come back. I took it to 4 independent shops to have them have a looksie. They said take it to the dealer, mainly because it's still under warranty, but they all said they didn't think it was the trans. and said to start with the yokes in the driveline... Let us know what you find. We'd much aprreciate it...:cheers:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same thing on my 07, weird thing on mine is that it was worse when I first bought the truck. It would do it every time I shifted into reverse or drive and took off but now (15miles later) it is a lot harder to duplicate. Still happens just not as much. Glad to hear its not my tranny though. Sure hope Nissan figures out what is causing this!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
took my titan to the dealer today. i had them pull the driveshaft again and grease the slip-yoke. i went out to inspect the splines myself, as i was rubbing my fingers in the yoke i found metal flake. the puddle of transfer case fluid that came out of the yoke looked like a metal flake paint job..the tech and i then pulled on the rubber boot on the back of the trans case to get more fluid, and it had metal particals in it also. put it back together with greased slip-yoke and it still clicks and pops. well now we are waiting on the nissan tech line to respond, but they have not replied to the call from last week yet. dont understand, makes the same click wether i am in four wheel drive or two. i'll drive it till it breaks or until the tech hot line answers. sad thing is this truck is supposed to be replaceing my 04 lemon. by the way i only have 4,500 miles on it and have only used the 4x4 for about 2 miles. Mike442 is your truck a 4x4?

·
Registered
13 Posts
mines getting worse....now it will click when i let off the accelerator...

mine also does it in 4wd and like yours i have low milage. started are 3k and i now have 7k

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dagimp, mine goes in on the 15th this week for a new rearend. they put chasi-ears on the transfer case and ruled it out . put the "ear" on the pumpkin and said that is were the noise is, so they ordered me a new rear. said the factory will tear the old rear down to see whats wrong and if it is not the rear the dealer is responsible for the total cost of the replacement of the rear, so they said they are pretty sure the noise is in the rearend. 4,500 miles and i have to have a rear replaced. this 07 titan was a replacement of my 04 titan that made over 20 trips to the dealer. makes you kind of loose faith in nissan. oh, said that some debri in the transfer case is normal as long as it is not over a teaspoons worth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i totally understand how you feel...my titan experience has been cursed from the start.... I walk in the dealer ship ( NORTH PLAINFEILD NISSAN in newjersey) pick out the one i want etc.... they tell me to come back in a hour and pick it up. I get there a few hours later and the salesman comes running over and explains to me that they "discovered a dent in my front end" i walk over and look....My whole ****ing right side fender is SMASHED. i immeadiatly demand a new truck...they refuse. they offer to fix it for free and take another $500 off. i reluctantly agree ( my biggest mistake). they say they cant fix it for a week becuase they need to order the new bumper. so a week goes by i bring my truck down...i walk in the serivce bay and the PIECE OF **** serivce manager trys to play dumb and say "umm what color is your truck again??" im like BLACK MORON. he resopnds oops i ordered a gray one by mistake. so hes like come back in another week and ill send it out to get painted. so a week goes by and i get down there, they give me a loaner and take 3days to install the bumper. so 3days later i get down to the dealership to pick up my truck and i look at the bumper....#1 they did a horrible paint job had pits, ridges and was NOT clear coated had swirl scratched all over it. #2 it was not painted the right color. My truck is galaxy black they painted it standard black.
by this time i had about enoguh of thier ****. but i let them attempt to fix it again, so they tell me to come back in 3days and it will be fixed. so i go to pick up my truck and take a walk around it THERE IS A DENT ON THE TOP OF MY DOOR AND scratches running all the way down the side of my truck ( i can still see the fresh polish residue left over from their attempt to polish it out) then i look at my rear tires and i can see deep cuts in my tire from a recent burnout.

i tell the service manager to look and he replies oh, i didnt drive your truck and the "lot boy" who drove it to the body shop quit today so i have no way to verify it he did it. AND THIS IS WHAT PISSED me off the most. he goes and how do we know you didnt do that yourself......

****ING REDICULOUSE NEVER EVER EVER BUY A CAR, TRUCK, CUP OF COFFE from NORTH PLAIN FEILD NISSAN.

I never made one demand for money or any type of compensation. all i wanted was what i paid for a NEW truck. so after all that i gave up and luckily i had to move due to my job.

I am happy to see not all nissan delearships are HACKS, the new delearship by my new house is GREAT and i didnt even buy the truck from them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
had rear axle replaced. 130 miles later and no return of the clicking yet. did however, find 2 loose lug nuts, emergency break lines not tightend, both lower shock bolts loose, steel break line not in rubber bracket rubbing on a bolt head, tech used pliers on my break line nuts and knarled them up, forgot to put axle vent in and left the shipping plug in, and one of my wheels has 5 knew scratches in it. i found all these issues myself after they returned the truck to me. tech swears he tighted all bolts. i only drove 30 miles home before i found all this. well, the vent i checked at dealership. scrathes also, i should of done a walk around with the service writter before they worked on it. but i think he knows they did it, he just wont admit it. i gotta find a better nissan service dept. update. the clicking is back after 1,200 miles. they are now requesting an engineer come and look at it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got told by the service writter today that the mechanics dont want to work on my truck. that when i bring my truck in(new truck) to get fixed, it brings tension to the whole shop. my reply, Then just fix my truck without damaging something else on it and i wont have to come back and everyone will be happy! It is sad when a man can't expect what he pays for.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts