Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched but couldn't find an answer to my exact question. I'm in the market for a used 2WD CC. XE / SE / LE doesn't matter - I prefer the monochrome look of the XE but I will buy whatever I get the best deal on. I was thinking '07 because it is the only year that I can get VVT and a rear end that is Truetrac compatible, right? But then I also hear that there are other improvements regarding rattles, etc. in the '08+ so now I'm not sure. Getting a Truetrac is pretty important to me though. So what do you guys say?

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Go for the 08. I replaced my 04 with an 08.... Different animal altogether! All the upgraded were done for the 08 model year. Rear end, suspension, brakes, front diff etc. If it's traction you need that badly, I'd go for a 4X4 model....although I don't know for sure if the TruTrac is or isn't available yet on 08+ models.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
why is the truetrak so improtant to you? does it out weigh the upgrades done to the rest of the truck in 08?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, I plan on doing Uprev, intake, exhaust, and headers. With those mods I really want / need the Truetrac. Since I'm buying used I may or may not get BT, but either way the Truetrac is better than the ABLS, right? 4x4 is not an option for many reasons, but mostly because I just don't want it. I'm going for a slightly lowered muscle truck theme.

I guess I don't completely know the other upgrades to the 08+. I know the rearend and brakes were upgraded, and I heard there were improvements to NVH (rattles, etc.) but I don't know the specifics. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Also, I drove an '07 KC XE last week (it was all the local dealer had), and it was very quiet, rode great, and the suspension and brakes were great. It's the only Titan I've driven so far, but I couldn't imagine an '08 being much better.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I have an 07 and am quit happy. I did have an rear axle seal leak. I had it replaced and then did the axle vent mod. TruTrac is not available for 08+, and the ABLS blows, in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
A lot of it comes down to cost. How much in difference is the 07 is compared to the 08? I have an 07. Its a good truck. It is (so far) the last year that is compatible with TruTrac. TruTrac is definitely better than ABLS. If the VVT issue is big with you, you can get the 07 with BT and be done with it.

I don't know if I would say the 08 had an upgraded rear end, changed yes, but upgraded? Now, the 07 has the smaller brakes and weaker spring shackles that were both upgraded starting in 08. Both of which you can upgrade very reasonably...So, if the funds allow...Go with the 07, upgrade the rear with the TruTrac and move on to upgrading the brakes and shackles to the 08 design. You will be pretty pleased.

Decision...decisions...

Best of luck what whatever you decide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A lot of it comes down to cost. How much in difference is the 07 is compared to the 08?
Around here, there isn't much difference in price between comparable '07s and '08s.

So, if the funds allow...Go with the 07, upgrade the rear with the TruTrac and move on to upgrading the brakes and shackles to the 08 design. You will be pretty pleased.
This is what I had pretty much planned to do, but again, I wasn't 100% sure what other improvements were made to the '08+. Thanks to everyone for the input so far.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
A lot of it comes down to cost. How much in difference is the 07 is compared to the 08? I have an 07. Its a good truck. It is (so far) the last year that is compatible with TruTrac. TruTrac is definitely better than ABLS. If the VVT issue is big with you, you can get the 07 with BT and be done with it.

I don't know if I would say the 08 had an upgraded rear end, changed yes, but upgraded? Now, the 07 has the smaller brakes and weaker spring shackles that were both upgraded starting in 08. Both of which you can upgrade very reasonably...So, if the funds allow...Go with the 07, upgrade the rear with the TruTrac and move on to upgrading the brakes and shackles to the 08 design. You will be pretty pleased.

Decision...decisions...

Best of luck what whatever you decide.
The rear axle was upgraded and is thicker for 08. The suspension and shackles were also strenthened for 08. The actual rear end itself was changed to a 4 spider gear setup in 07 I believe so that's remained the same as far as I'm aware. However, the suppliers of many of the rear end parts (not sure exactly which parts though) has changed for 2008+.

I'd also say that if none of the 08 upgrades interest you, and you're gonna upgrade these parts anyhow, I'd go for even a cheaper 06. VVT is no big deal and due to differences in CPU mapping, my 04 was WAY quicker than my 08....until I added the BullyDog to get rid of those stupid throttle restrictions.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
The truetrac is so much better than the ABLS, because the standard ABLS that comes with the Titan isnt a true limited slip, it just uses the brakes to slow down the tire that is spinning faster that the other.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
I believe ARB has an Air Locker for 08. I would not buy an 07 over an 08, too many improvements that are far more critical than TT.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Well Im not too sure on this maybe someone will know but someone with an 08 said something about getting an 07 rearend so they could get trutrac. However like I said its just an idea i dont really know if itll work or even worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would not buy an 07 over an 08, too many improvements that are far more critical than TT.
OK, I'll ask again - What are the improvements that are more critical than TT? I know brakes and suspension, but what else? To me, those improvements alone are not really more important than TT.

VVT is no big deal and due to differences in CPU mapping, my 04 was WAY quicker than my 08....until I added the BullyDog to get rid of those stupid throttle restrictions.
Thanks for the input, but you're the first person that I've heard say this. Every other review I've read says that VVT trucks are much faster than non-VVT. Plus, I was under the impression that an Uprev'ed VVT engine was close in performance to a cammed, Uprev'ed non-VVT.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
OK, I'll ask again - What are the improvements that are more critical than TT? I know brakes and suspension, but what else? To me, those improvements alone are not really more important than TT.

Thanks for the input, but you're the first person that I've heard say this. Every other review I've read says that VVT trucks are much faster than non-VVT. Plus, I was under the impression that an Uprev'ed VVT engine was close in performance to a cammed, Uprev'ed non-VVT.
I think if you looked around on the forum here, you'll be hard pressed to find many who'd disagree that the non-VVT 04 was a monster. ECU mapping is everything and on the newer VVT equipped trucks, there's throttle restrictions the other trucks don't have...which is why a tuner makes a big difference to some.

As for the upgrades for 08, other than what I and others have mentioned, the dash layout, HVAC controls are different/better, seat are supposedly different (although I cant tell the diff there), truck sits more level since they raised the front end now, weight capacities are higher, trans temp gauge issue where it showed hot too soon was fixed, transmission OD stays locked longer for better MPG (well...mine doesn't get any better mileage). If these are things that don't really matter to you, then go for the 07. And why anyone would go from an 08 read end to an 07 is crazy IMO. If it's a locker you want, I'm sure ARB has an air locker that will work just fine.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
Point 1 - Heavier Axle Shafts, Larger Brake Rotor and Calipers for faster Braking ability, Higher GAWR (Payload). Hopefully less Axle Seal failures as a result of changes. I lost my TT, possibly due to the loss of oil from the 2 Axles Seal leaks on 06-07 Axle. Decision depends on your particular needs.

Point 2 - Yes, UpRev'd 08 basically equals a Cammed UpRev'd 04-06.

Buy FFV if possible, for larger injectors and safety with increasing use of Ethanol even in normal gasoline.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think if you looked around on the forum here, you'll be hard pressed to find many who'd disagree that the non-VVT 04 was a monster. ECU mapping is everything and on the newer VVT equipped trucks, there's throttle restrictions the other trucks don't have...which is why a tuner makes a big difference to some.
I think I remember seeing somewhere that the '04 4x4s had less throttle restriction than 4x2s, but I'm not 100% on that. Either way, Uprev will be one of my first mods so I'm not too worried about that.

As for the upgrades for 08, other than what I and others have mentioned, the dash layout, HVAC controls are different/better, seat are supposedly different (although I cant tell the diff there), truck sits more level since they raised the front end now, weight capacities are higher, trans temp gauge issue where it showed hot too soon was fixed, transmission OD stays locked longer for better MPG (well...mine doesn't get any better mileage). If these are things that don't really matter to you, then go for the 07. And why anyone would go from an 08 read end to an 07 is crazy IMO. If it's a locker you want, I'm sure ARB has an air locker that will work just fine.
Thanks - this is exactly the info I was looking for. I do remember now that the newer trucks have better looking gauges. Since it will be a 4x2 street truck, I don't want a locker that I have to switch on and off. Maybe ABLS will be good enough for me (assuming I get a BT).
Point 1 - Heavier Axle Shafts, Larger Brake Rotor and Calipers for faster Braking ability, Higher GAWR (Payload). Hopefully less Axle Seal failures as a result of changes. I lost my TT, possibly due to the loss of oil from the 2 Axles Seal leaks on 06-07 Axle. Decision depends on your particular needs.

Point 2 - Yes, UpRev'd 08 basically equals a Cammed UpRev'd 04-06.

Buy FFV if possible, for larger injectors and safety with increasing use of Ethanol even in normal gasoline.
Thanks for the info. Maybe an '08 is my best bet, but I still wish a TT or other posi (not a locker) was available.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
is VDC and trutrack the same thing? or did ABLS replace trutrack? I have an 06 w/out VDC. does that mean i have trutrack?

Sorry not trying to thread jack, but it seems like most people in this thread know alot about it.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
08 only made for awhile, then came 08.5's. Possible reason? I don't know if the market differentiates between those 2 or not.

·
Registered
715 Posts
When I was looking at Titans, I broke them down into 3 groups, 04-06, 2007 and 2008+.

I bought a 2007, the VVT engine is a big plus, also 2008+ transmissions upshift very aggressively and many complain about them, especially if they owned a 2007 or older Titan. Speaking of those owners, they also report the 2008+ as feeling sluggish or slightly down on power. I HIGHLY doubt all the rear-end issues are fixed. Look around, there's still TOO many 2008+ owners reporting axle seal and diff failures. As these trucks leave warranty, I reckon a few more upset owners may find these forums. But who knows? Also, I don't like the newer gauge cluster. I mean, it looks nice at night for sure, especially compared to the dirty yellow/orange of 2007 older Titans, but the older ones are still LED and those LEDs can be changed out to better/other colors. The 2008+ gauges are too featureless in their design, IMO.
As far as the brakes go, thats a definite obvious plus of a 2008+, however I am not disappointed in my 2007's brakes yet, they seem plenty strong.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts