Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at both these vehicles and there are features I like about both. The Titan Crew I can get for about 29K out the door and the Tundra Extra Cab with the 5.7L V8 for around 30K. The dealer would consider adding a couple options to the Tundra that come on the Titan SE, like the bedliner, the trac package and a security system.
I know most people here prefer their Titans, but was wondering if any checked out the Tundra before deciding on their Titan and why did you pick the Titan over the Tundra?
Thanks!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I checked out the Tundra . But I didn't get far enough to even drive one . I don't really care for the look of it over the Titan . The interior didn't seem to flow as nice as the Titan either. Not sure how it runs compared to the Titan but I'm sure someone will chime in.

·
Registered
145 Posts
gasa765 said:
I've been looking at both these vehicles and there are features I like about both. The Titan Crew I can get for about 29K out the door and the Tundra Extra Cab with the 5.7L V8 for around 30K. The dealer would consider adding a couple options to the Tundra that come on the Titan SE, like the bedliner, the trac package and a security system.
I know most people here prefer their Titans, but was wondering if any checked out the Tundra before deciding on their Titan and why did you pick the Titan over the Tundra?
Thanks!

have you driven them yet? I would start with that and make a decision from there!

I drove the tundra just before I got my 07 titan, I thought the tundra was nice, i love the look but its not as refined as the titan in terms of ride,power smootheness and tranny. just my thoughts.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I drove both prior to purchasing my '07 Titan LE Crew. My test drive in the Tundra lasted about 1/2 mile. The salesman was flabbergasted that I did not like the truck. I am 5-10 inches tall. The tundra's large dash and front end made me feel as though I had to sit up to see over it... didn't feel comfortable. The titan's front end/dash is much smaller and I feel more comfortable driving it in tight traffic. I got the impression the tundra's interior was designed by separate groups who did not consult with each other before putting the final product together. It just seems too choppy, or maybe a better way to say it is it has no flow. I found the interior overwhelming with all the chrome/silver, etc. I'm sure many will like the tundra, it just wasn't the truck for me. I really enjoy my titan and I am very happy I decided to buy it over all the other trucks I drove. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
93,241 Posts
I drove both before purchasing the Titan. My Titan handled better, looked better an had a much better feel on the road. The Tundra felt bloated.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Your terminology is off a bit on the Tundras. There is a standard cab, Double cab and Crewmax.
The security system on the Tundra is the same as the Titans as far as I can tell,although there is an option for a glass breakage sensor on the Tundra. All Tundras come with same traction package, you have TRAC(2wd), A-LSD(2wd with VSC off), VSC(2wd) and A-TRAC(4WD hi and lo), there is nothing more that you can add. Your Toyota salesman should get up to speed.
to answer you last question, I had an 04 and an 05 Titan, both LE 4WD, OR,BT. My 04 was bought back with 9600 miles in 9 months, it basically fell apart. The 05 lasted 26 months 22k miles, went to the dealer an average of every 750 miles, which is more than 4,000 miles driving to the dealer and back. I had multiple failures of just about everything but the engine and the tranny.
So far I have had the Tundra for about 3 months and haven't been to the dealer yet. About a 1/3 of my miles are in 4WD, so my driving is different than most.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Hey man youll be in the dealer before too long. I work in the plant in durham,nc that builds your ****ty trans and let me tell you from seeing it made, youll regret it. Maybe my titan is the same way but at least I havent seen the trannys built so I guess ignorance is bliss.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
I drove the Tundra Dbl Cab Limited and the Titan CC LE. I liked them both but the price difference was huge. I bought my 07 LE with chrome package last week for $29,036 OTD, the Tundra was right around $35k.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
all i can say is go drive both the titan drives much better take the tundra on some bumpy roads at 55 to 60 see what happens. Then take the titan world of difference. Also like others have said interior of tundra is not that nice comfortability wise if your a big guy you wont be happy. But it is your decision to make best of luck whatever you choose.

·
Registered
359 Posts
skyhammer said:
Your terminology is off a bit on the Tundras. There is a standard cab, Double cab and Crewmax.
The security system on the Tundra is the same as the Titans as far as I can tell,although there is an option for a glass breakage sensor on the Tundra. All Tundras come with same traction package, you have TRAC(2wd), A-LSD(2wd with VSC off), VSC(2wd) and A-TRAC(4WD hi and lo), there is nothing more that you can add. Your Toyota salesman should get up to speed.
to answer you last question, I had an 04 and an 05 Titan, both LE 4WD, OR,BT. My 04 was bought back with 9600 miles in 9 months, it basically fell apart. The 05 lasted 26 months 22k miles, went to the dealer an average of every 750 miles, which is more than 4,000 miles driving to the dealer and back. I had multiple failures of just about everything but the engine and the tranny.
So far I have had the Tundra for about 3 months and haven't been to the dealer yet. About a 1/3 of my miles are in 4WD, so my driving is different than most.
I think your experience is a little out of the norm. Very few Titans built after '04 had multiple failures with any great freqency.

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Does the Tundra have mechanical locking or mechanical LSD diff(s)? Or just an open diff with a mickey mouse system to brake the rotor on a spinning wheel? (ala the Titan's ABLS system)

Titan has the mickey mouse ABLS, but there is an optional push button locker for the rear that only works in 4-LO. You can get an aftermarket mechanical LSD Truetrac (highly effective) for the rear non-locker version diff. Nothing available at this time for the front in a 4WD.

·
Registered
969 Posts
the moment you look at the tundra's dash you will run to the titan

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
The Tundra uses a system that is similar to the Titan ABLS, but there are a couple of differences. One difference is that you can turn everything off.
The A-TRAC (4wd), works better than ABLS, the pressure applied to the brakes is much higher than ABLS applies, it will stop the spinning tire immediately. I have not had the problem I had with ABLS staying engaged for long periods while not improving traction and burning up the ABS. The Tundra has a fail safe feature that shuts down A-TRAC and A-LSD when temps. get to high.
A-TRAC looks at all 4 tires together, while with ABLS it seems that the system looks at each tires traction independently. it is hard to explain, but you notice the difference in the way both systems work.
This PDF may help in understanding the different traction controls.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Also the rear seats in the Titan fold up so that you can use the entire rear floor for cargo and the Tundra seats are fixed and bolted to the floor, though they do recline a bit. For me, having the extra cargo area is important. You will have to make the decision if this is important to you or not.

While Sky had some trouble with his Titan, there are many, many who have had absolutely no trouble at all, and drive them hard. You can go to the Tundra site and see that there are a few who are having trouble with their trucks as well.

·
Registered
923 Posts
skyhammer said:
That's a funny story!

My 04 has been great. Nissan fixed my brakes and a few other little issues other than that it has been problem free. You said your truck fell apart, I find that hard to believe. I am sure the new turdra will last you 250,000 miles before you even have to change the oil, there that good!!!

Titan has tons of power and you will not get your *** kicked by a big three red neck driving a Titan. They are all very mad right now at Toyota, so if you get one be prepared to have your truck keyed. :hahano:

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
technorev said:
Also the rear seats in the Titan fold up so that you can use the entire rear floor for cargo and the Tundra seats are fixed and bolted to the floor, though they do recline a bit. For me, having the extra cargo area is important. You will have to make the decision if this is important to you or not.

While Sky had some trouble with his Titan, there are many, many who have had absolutely no trouble at all, and drive them hard. You can go to the Tundra site and see that there are a few who are having trouble with their trucks as well.
True the CM seats don't fold up, the back of the seat folds down providing a flat platform. The DC seats fold up.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I drove both before buying my 07 Titan SE KC. I have to admit that I did not like the look of the exterior, nor the fit of the interior on the Tundra. Plus - The Toyota dealership was so big-headed about the Tundra that he seemed insulted that I wanted to negotiate on the price. The Nissan dealership I bought my Titan from knocked $1000 off of the sticker price after the $3500 rebate Nissan is offering right now was applied.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently traded in a 2005 SE king cab, (big tow, off road) for a Limited double cab Tundra 5.7 (off road). I realize that I am not comparing apples to apples here (LE to Limited would be in order) but after two months & 2,200 miles here is my opinion of the two.

First off a little history on the Titan.
Mileage at trade: 34,500.
Condition: excellent.
Current problems: none.
Past problems: Brakes twice, fuel evap valve and the gas cap came apart (Nissan dealer gave me a cap off an 07)

History on the Tundra
Mileage: 2.250
Mods on truck: Debaged, SS step bars, A.R.E. cover, beadrug.

Ride: Titan. Even with the off road package the Titan was more supple.
Handling: Toss up. At highway speeds the Titan drove itself where the Tundra, due to sensitive steering requires a little more attention (wind pushes the Tundra around a bit more). Around town Tundra wins easily.
Parking: Tundra, turning radius is exceptional.
Controls: The Titans were easier to quickly find. Tundra has the sequential shifter.
Front Seats: Comfort Titan. But the Titan’s seats would stain from a few rain drops.
Rear Seats: Comfort Tundra (from what I am told).
Front Egress: Titan. The Tundra front seats are extremely high.
Rear Egress: Tundra, non suicide doors are a plus.
Exterior styling: Completely subjective.
Front side windows: Titan as both had auto up/down.
Rear side windows: Tundra as the Titan’s were fixed.
Power: Tundra, but fairly close.
Towing: Tundra, but again, not by much. I do like the auto downshift in the tranny in tow mode when you tap the brakes.
Interior sound level: Subjective, but I do appreciate the quite cab of the Tundra.
Mileage: Tundra by 2 mpg
Engine Bay: Tundra, plenty of room to work ( mount HIDs etc) and all bulbs have immediate access.
Bed: Even, both have the assisted tailgate.
Storage: Tundra has a few more cubbies but the Titans fit what I typically carry a little better.
Audio: I don’t miss seeing the radio face in the Titan’s rear window. Tundra’s JBL radio does not have text for std radio mode.
Construction: Tundra is tighter then the 2005 Titan was when new. The Titan had a few occasional come & go rattles from day one, Tundra has none. I think the lack of the suicide style rear doors offers a significant strengthening for the cab.

Overall, aside from the media hype, the Titan is a comparable truck to the new Tundra.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts