Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
May 28, 2007 - 1:00 am LOS ANGELES -- A batch of camshaft failures in 5.7-liter V-8 engines has dinged the launch of the Toyota Tundra pickup.

Camshafts in 20 engines have snapped, says Toyota spokesman Mike Michels. The outside camshaft supplier, which Toyota declined to identify, has traced the problem to "a metallurgical defect in the casting, a flaw in the metal which they have corrected," he says.

To date, Toyota has built 30,000 of the engines, and the company is determining how many might be affected. Michels says that it was "an early batch," and that "Toyota is confident in the production from that point on."

A camshaft is a spinning rod that opens the engine's intake and exhaust valves in sequence. Toyota's camshafts are designed to avoid collateral damage if they snap.

Toyota rushed the 5.7-liter engine into production in time for the Tundra's February launch. The 5.7-liter initially was scheduled to arrive this summer. But Toyota dealers and product planners told the manufacturing arm that the Tundra needed the big V-8 at launch because the 4.7-liter V-8 would not make a strong enough statement.

The 5.7-liter represents more than 70 percent of the engine mix.

Toyota's top executives repeatedly have stated their concern that Toyota is growing too quickly to keep quality at past high levels.
http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news/toyota/tundra/camshaft/camshaft.html

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I bet CR doesn't name the Tundra as unreliable because of it either. They were quick to jump on the Titan because the brake rotors warped...even though they still stopped the truck in shorter distances than any other 1/2 ton truck. It seems to me that, like Nissan, Toyota was in a hurry to get their truck out there. Nissan fixed the brakes, and Toyota will do the same with their 5.7 V8s. We'll see how the media responds to Toyotas problems.

·
Registered
408 Posts
My understanding is that it is a non-interference motor. So they should be okay once you replace the cam.

However, it boggles my mind at how much people sackride toyota! I have owned two yota trucks, a 2004 Tacoma and a 2005 Tundra. Both were nice trucks, but I was plagued with problems with both. Compounding the problems are stuck-up holier-than-thou service departments. I was tired of the "it's a yota, they don't break, you abused it" line. That's a crock! Chevy dealers never told me I abused it. They simply said "its a truck. Men made it -- it'll break -- We'll Fix it."

I don't have enough experience with Nissan to know how well they live up. Already I can tell you they're a good mark ahead Toyota in my book.

Toyota has fallen FLAT on their face in terms of quality. Almost every other brand has surpassed them. Unfortunatly, the dumb masses have not yet recognized it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
can't compromise the way toyota is handling the situation though. He's getting a new motor ($20k) and either an extended warranty or even a new truck.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
um... forgive me if im wrong but if a camshaft snaps while the motor is running isn't there a chance that the possible debris could splinter and do some major damage to the internals even if it is a non interference motor? I know how interference and non interference motors work but usually bent valves are caused by busted timing belts and occasional chains not blown camshafts.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
I bet CR doesn't name the Tundra as unreliable because of it either. They were quick to jump on the Titan because the brake rotors warped...even though they still stopped the truck in shorter distances than any other 1/2 ton truck. It seems to me that, like Nissan, Toyota was in a hurry to get their truck out there. Nissan fixed the brakes, and Toyota will do the same with their 5.7 V8s. We'll see how the media responds to Toyotas problems.
You are probably right, the reason is that the Tundra had some bad cams from a manufacturing defect that was caught and corrected. The Titan's parts fail when manufactured correctly to Nissan's specs.
That fact, IMO is why CR rates the Titan's reliability so low. It doesn't do any good to replace a cheap part that fails repeatedly with another cheap part that will fail again.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
skyhammer said:
You are probably right, the reason is that the Tundra had some bad cams from a manufacturing defect that was caught and corrected. The Titan's parts fail when manufactured correctly to Nissan's specs.
That fact, IMO is why CR rates the Titan's reliability so low. It doesn't do any good to replace a cheap part that fails repeatedly with another cheap part that will fail again.
Which is why they finally smartened up and switched to a thicker rotor. Keep us up to date on your Tundra and good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
skyhammer said:

uh... did you even read what you just typed??? yes Nissan is learning and correcting but Toyota has been doing this for a long time and correcting a wee bit more each time. Nissan will get better but most of the nissan problems are quite minor.

A faulty camshaft should have been caught way before it got into production. A blown cam would be bad news if pulling a 10,000 lb trailer at 65 mph. A blown rear isnt a trip in the park either but at least you could put it in 4wd (if it has) and pull off the road. Toyota should have done better Q&A to prevent this problem in the first place.:cheers:

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Yes, I read what I wrote and agree with what I said. The cam failure in the 5.7 is very different than the part failures of Nissan. Not every cam was faulty,only those few that were cast with a faulty mold.
The many parts that failed repeatedly in my Titans were in every Titan and were built to spec.
When you have $12k worth of parts replaced in 22k miles, there is obviously a problem with the specs. These part failures, for the most part were not minor, especially those that left me dead in the water. Such as BCM's that go out because they can't take a few potholes or washboards,this happened 3 times, window internal parts that fail so that you can't get into your truck unless you break a window, this happened 4 times, 4 failed ABS units.
Just before I got rid of my 05, I had an appointment with a Nissan rep. at the dealership, they were questioning all of the warranty work. Talking with the rep. is what finally convinced me to get rid of the Titan, as it was clear that things would not get better as the new Titans had the same parts I had problems with.
The rep. asked if I was traveling on rough roads with the windows down, I said of course, I live on a ranch. The rep. said that the windows were to large and heavy and could not take the pounding, in other words I have a truck that I cannot use like every other truck. While I never had a problem with the brakes or rear diff., I did have a front axle failure and a front diff. go.
The Rep. wanted to know what I was doing when the front diff. failed. I told him I was backing up a hill in 4WD with a load of hay in bed and was spinning a little. The Rep. said I should not do that, as it puts to much load on the diff. So, he basically told me the Titan can't be used for what I bought it for, even though our other ranch vehicles (Toyota, Ford, Dodge), are worked much harder and don't have these problems.
Since these same parts are still being put in new Titans there was no hope.
I haven't even discussed the 04 which fell apart in 9600 miles.
None of these part failures were attributed to faulty manufacturing, they were built to Nissan specs., and Nissan sees no reason to upgrade their specs. I had to get rid of the Titan, there was no way I wanted spend at least $6k a year for parts after the warranty expired. Factor in a 150 mile round trip to the dealer every three weeks, I was pouring $ down the drain with no end in sight.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
sky,

I am sorry that you had all those problems with your titan. You are absolutely right a truck should be somewhat durable and take some abuse within reason. Maybe Nissan didn't target your group (ranch work etc) but only targeted the construction/general workers and towers/weekend warriors when they initially built the Titan. Hopefully the 08s will be more durable, but if we all had the problems your truck had then Nissan would definately know about it, but we don't. I hope the Tundra holds up to your abuse like the Titan couldn't.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Hey Sky,
Great points made.
Show the guys another pic of your boat launch area and they will know why the trucks suffered!

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
This is an email I reveived from Toyota today about the cams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMS USA
My pleasure--BTW, contrary to what amounts to a sensationalized story appearing today in a Midwest newspaper, there is no recall for the Tundra. As posted yesterday, the camshaft failures were caused by improperly manufactured parts that were discovered very early in the initial production phase, but not before a few units were assembled and shipped--20 that we are aware of, and some of those are actually in company service, not in the hands of customers. A correction was immediately implemented, and we are working to ensure customer satisfaction and confidence in the product by those owners who did experience the failure by replacing the engine.

That's about as sensational as it gets for this story, albeit make no mistake that we are embarrassed by this incident and regret any concerns, worry, even anger experienced by those customers whose engines did fail.

Toyota conducts a very thorough investigation of production anomalies that result in any kind of product performance problem. That's underway now. Once concluded, tmsusa will be happy to report to interested members here any additional information that may be of interest to our customers and other consumers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts