Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so through some wheeling and dealing I can move into a 2011 same model as SE for about 20 a month more with all the rebates but I would be losing out on the year I just paid into my truck. What would you do if you could move into a new truck for that much money plus one more year owing if your only ever going to drive Nissan?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Is there anything wrong with your current truck?

Are there any extra features in the new one?

If the answer is no, I couldn't see swapping. I personally would wait until 2014 for the next model change if that ever happens. You already have a good truck as far as the Titan production years go and the "kinks" getting worked out. If you're not stepping up to an LE or any extra creature comforts, I wouldn't change. if you bought your truck new in 08, you're close to being into principal payments if not already there. Why pay another years worth of interest on a new truck. Remember, this is my opinion only. I know what it's like to keep a vehicle for more than 3-4 years when "new" is within my reach.....

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
thats a tough 1. I can see it both ways. If you are saying you only have 1 more left on the 8.5 then maybe hold out. You just never know when Nissan will put out a new body(wishful thinking). It would suck to get a new one and the very next year everyone is getting the new improved one. Also your buying the same trim. On the other hand Nissan might take years to come out with a new body and engine and you can get a brand new one for just $20 more. I guess I would weigh out the differences like for me I traded in my 07 SE for a 2011 Pro4x and there were many differences like lower gears, leather, bluetooth, nav, & nav to name a few.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
i wouldnt do it.. the second you drive off the lot in a new truck you lose money.. do you wanna do it twice? atleast right now.. i wouldnt.. but i wont buy new..

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks team, I value your opnions. I own 28500 on my 09 and could buy a 11 for 31500 plus tax and since I only bought my 09 or 08.5 a year ago (used) I would only be losing a year but thats a year closer to having it paid off.

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
I definitely wouldn't unless you're going to a much more equipped model. If anything take that money and put it towards an extended warranty and like it was said, wait until the new model comes out...not like you have an 05, you're already driving around in an 09 :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was looking at a used 08 SE 4x4 w/ 55k miles and is certified or an 2010 SE w/ 22k miles and is also certified. 08 is $4k less and I was wondering if there is anything different between them. I think the 2010 has the "vdc" button but not sure what that does or if it is worth it. I am open to opinions as well!!

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I know you really want to do it so....I say go for it! What another $20 a month..lol. I'm awful help huh? The only thing is....nothings changed from 08 to 11 but if it's gonna be a truck with more features than you currently have, it could be worth it. Otherwise, you're paying more a month and a years longer for what you already own. You'll know what to do.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
20 x 60 = 1,200; plus a year of 500 x 12 = 6,000, so TOTAL = $7,200 additional debt possibly. Better to put towards IRA/401K Retirement than a piece of metal that depreciates. Truck may be a need, but it's not an investment. And the need is already met.

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
So there are no changes between an 08 thru 2011?
Nope. Same exact truck. Oh they now call the SE the SV and the LE is now the SL but otherwise, no real changes at all. So here's an idea...why not wait to see what 2012 brings. Nissan has to be coming out with an all-new Titan soon!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Because I need a truck now!!:) I just cant decide!!:crying:I would probably save almost a $100 a month with the 08 but it has close to 60k miles compared to 25K for the 10. At least Im going with the Titan!

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I was looking at a used 08 SE 4x4 w/ 55k miles and is certified or an 2010 SE w/ 22k miles and is also certified. 08 is $4k less and I was wondering if there is anything different between them. I think the 2010 has the "vdc" button but not sure what that does or if it is worth it. I am open to opinions as well!!
for 33k miles less for only 4 grand more, i would get the 2010. VDC is the electric version of traction control. It bogs the motor down if you start spinning the tires. The button allows you to turn it off. That may keep ur insurance lower over the 08 since its kinda a safety feature too. if a truck doesnt have the button, it doesnt have vdc

Edit: to the OP. go for it. its 2 years newer for only 1 yr more in payments. It will have a higher resale too since its a newer truck. How many miles on your current truck? Is the 11 brand new or does it have a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
the same thing happen to me. the dealer called me up said bring in your 2009 for a straight trade to a 2011. I was leasing the 09 at 5.75%, bought the 2011 for 4.5% interest. Yes I lost the almost 2 years of payments, but I drove that thing, towed trailers and boats for two years so what the hell. I bought the identical truck, black, pro 4 leather. Had the dealer move my soft top over, step rails and front deflector. I had snow tires on, so he moved them over for me and put the new tires on my custom rims, bottom line, a new truck and a new 3 year warranty. (i extended to 7). difference in the years? Could be just me, but the seats are more comfy, and I think it sits higher, the steering is stiffer and a fresh new smell. Go for it. your 2008 will be worth hardly anything by 2014 when the expected date of new design, but your 2011 will be only 3 years old. Pay for all the options you can get, you will always get more for your truck when it comes time to part.....

·
Registered
180 Posts
I noticed the newer trucks (2010-2011) have fewer options than 08-09 models. mine for example, is a 2008.5 SE Crew Cab short bed. I got the adjustable pedals, tow package, sunroof, bedliner, bed rails, fog lights, big tow mirrors, rear sonar, steering wheel controls, bluetooth, nav, rockford fosgate, satellite radio, etc etc.

This is on a 2WD SE, not a pro-4X.

I paid $26,867 OTD in 08 when gas was like 5 bucks and everyone was buying a prius.

i dont even see a Sunroof option on the new trucks.

I'd say keep it. buy the SV or SL letter if it tickles your fancy so you can look cool at the hooters parking lot.

just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
the same thing happen to me. the dealer called me up said bring in your 2009 for a straight trade to a 2011. I was leasing the 09 at 5.75%, bought the 2011 for 4.5% interest. Yes I lost the almost 2 years of payments, but I drove that thing, towed trailers and boats for two years so what the hell. I bought the identical truck, black, pro 4 leather. Had the dealer move my soft top over, step rails and front deflector. I had snow tires on, so he moved them over for me and put the new tires on my custom rims, bottom line, a new truck and a new 3 year warranty. (i extended to 7). difference in the years? Could be just me, but the seats are more comfy, and I think it sits higher, the steering is stiffer and a fresh new smell. Go for it. your 2008 will be worth hardly anything by 2014 when the expected date of new design, but your 2011 will be only 3 years old. Pay for all the options you can get, you will always get more for your truck when it comes time to part.....
so true

if ur leasing, the buyout amount is so rediculous. only a couple grand less for a used car compared to a brand new car. atleast thats my experiance

·
Registered
731 Posts
Unless you can pay cash, you don't need a new truck. PAY OFF the one you have.

Quit living in debt to the banks

Reactions: TitanBlue

·
Registered
56 Posts
Maybe I am one in a million here but I am completely happy with my '07. The only thing I wish is that it had factory nav and dvd player. The afterrmarket will take care of that. I can't see any reason to get rid of it....ever! This truck will be in my family until all the kids are out of the house, and even then who knows. It does pretty much everything the newset Titan can do, or any other half ton truck for that matter. As things wear out I will replace them with the newer model parts. Bought it with less than 50 miles on it new. 43k miles on her now and literally not one problem! There are a lot people who have no business losing as much money as they do selling, and trading cars for the next best thing.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
OP: Depends on how many miles are on your current truck, how many miles you drive in a year, and what the depreciated level of your current vehicle is, what your interest rate and loan structure are, and whether you plan to keep it until it's rotted into the ground or not. Most people pay nothing but interest the first year of truck payments, so what you would have essentially done is have leased your current truck for one year and XXX number of miles. If the depreciation is high enough (ie you've driven a boatload of miles, or there's a bunch of damage, etc), it might make financial sense if you will continually be trading in vehicles - let's say you drove $10,000 worth of depreciation off the vehicle, but only paid $4800 of that depreciation in car payments, and you're on a 5 year plan - well, $20x60 months = $1200+4800=$6000, so in this case you made out (you lost less than you would have by continuing in your current vehicle and trading it later). If, however, you plan on driving a vehicle into the ground (whether the current truck or the new one, or the one after that), then it doesn't make sense to trade as your overall costs will always be lower if you buy a vehicle and stick with it as far as you can.

This is one of the primary reasons why businesses lease things - aside from amortizing costs, and tax benefits, and less downtime, etc, if they structure a deal right they can have someone else consistently absorbing the depreciation gap.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts