Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

My new 08 CC Longbed is due to arrive in early November. The original plan was to put the Banks monster on it. I talked to the Service manager at my local dealer and he said that Banks is making a catback system for the Longbed but they are not shipping it until they get a sufficient amount of orders. May be around December before I can even get my hands on it. So I began leaning towards having a custom system made like Gr8Titan's. I really like the dual mufflers, X-Pipe and how the pipes dump out in front of the rear tire, especially on the longbed as there is space between where the step rails end and the tire that could be put to good use. Whats really nice about it is that it is uncommon. Now after reading alot of posts, I hear that the longbed places the muffler farther back under the chassis and that may make placing the tips in front of the tire problematic as well as making it difficult to find any off the shelf catback kits. If anyone knows which manufacturers are making catback systems for the longbed I'd appreciate hearing about it. If any of you longbed owners could post a pic or two of the standard exhaust I would sure appreciate it.

Now after looking into Toomnymods JBA cat back system and all the info he provided as well, I was really leaning towards that but I just read that somone e-mailed JBA and they are not going to make one for the longbeds. UGH! What to do now?

Gr8Titan, do you feel that you have lost low end torque in your system? Would you mind letting us know a ball park figure for the parts and install? The concensus around here seems to be that a cat back single pipe system such as JBA is the best way to go for the most increase in HP and torque, but I'd like to hear your opinion as well.

If I do have a system like Gr8Titans made I still need to decide on what type of mufflers, X-pipe an tips to use. The Ractives sound and look very nice. Any sugestions would be great.

By the way the my K&N CAI will be coming off my 05 and going into the new truck and I have already talked to the service manager about the timing advance. He says he had been doing a 3 degree advance lately with the 07 and 08 Titans.

Thanks for the help,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Warp,

Seen a lot of first time posters here get nice welcomes and plenty of great advice. Did I say something wrong?

Vlad

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Vlady said:
Thanks Warp,

Seen a lot of first time posters here get nice welcomes and plenty of great advice. Did I say something wrong?

Vlad
I was pretty much just concerned with the sound and not really worried about performance. So I had a local shop weld in a Flowmaster 40 muffler and weld on a plain-jane chrome tip. It cost me $150.00 and I get compiments all the time on the sound. If I could do it over again, though, I would have spent an extra 50-70 dollars for a Stainless tip. My chrome cheap-o is always rusty on the inside.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Vlady said:
Thanks Warp,

Vlad
You did'nt say anything wrong, you just said a whole lot...about a subject not many have explored much (LWB cat-backs, specifically).
I'm the one that e-mailed JBA and was told that there was no LWB cat-back on the way. I've been told otherwise by JBA recently, but they have no time frame available.
Your only current option is custom bent pipe and a two-into-one muffler of your choosing. If you really want the exhaust to exit prior to the rear wheel, a muffler shop can cut off pipe and weld the new muffler further back to accomodate your idea.
If you are interested in a more aggressive exhaust note, then the afore mentioned will work very well...if it's horsepower you seek, wait on a cat-back and plan on doing more performance mods in the future.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Welcome to TT!

your stock pipes are fine. They are mandrel bent and are the right daimater Just weld in a magnaflow muffler and tip. you can get dual in single out or daul in dual out.

good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks so much for the replies. Great advice!

I wen't by the dealer again to look at the location of the stock muffler and heat shield. The back of the mufler in its stock location is pretty close to the front of the back tire. If I keep the standard pipes from the cats back to the muffler will I be able to have a muffler shop cut some of those off and mount the new muffler farther forward? Thats the only way I can see having the exit in fron of the tire.

I seem to remember reading that 2 into 1 or 2 into 2 mufflers aren't all that great. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good one? I was actually thinking about getting two straight thru pipes similar to gr8titans.

I am more interested in HP and torque gains than I am sound. I tow about 5k pounds every day in my landscaping business and the 05 does well but I'd like to have a little more power out of the new 08.

Thanks again for the advice.
Vlad

ps what about having the regular JBA system modified? Leaving it out the back side like normal... just adding 20 or so inches at a muffler shop.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Thats whay I was gonna suggest. Buy the one you like and have a muffler shop add some additional length to the pipes. I cant imagine it would be that expensive to do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We are working on getting an 08 Club Cab Long bed in here its just a matter of finding one

As Rhino404 stated I do not have an immediate time frame for availablity but as soon as we get it done I will post on here and let everyone know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts