Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer was telling me about how awsome the new titan will be, trying to get me to buy one instead of a GM or Chevy. I like both the brands and own both so its not like im diehard one way or the other yuo know...

Anway he was telling me that the new off road package has more skid plates locking differentail and a 3:37 gear with the tow package!...

That cant be right is it? I mean the GM's come with 3:73 or 4:10, then fords have 3:73, 4:10, 4:30 in there gas trucks as well as toyotas tundra with 4:30 gears...

Seem like we are missing a bunch with that gearing, my wife armada has the big tow package and it feel a lot stronger than a heavy suv with 3:37 gear... i mean heck corvette have more gear than that!

So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
The 3:37 is the lowest offered on a Titan/Armada, the 5 speed and tranny gear ratios make it perform like a 4:10, at least that's what Nissan tells us. I think it performs pretty well. At 70mph in 5th, the tow package trucks are turning at like 2,200 rpm, pretty good if you ask me.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Compare the transmission gear ratio's, titan's 1st gear is 3.83 x 3.36 rear end= 12.86 of ratio, chevy 3.06 x 4.10=12.5, so the in 1st the titan actually has a lower ratio then a 4.10 equipped chevy. Then OD(5th), titan= .83 x 3.36=2.79 of ratio, vs. chevy .70(4th) x 4.10=2.87, so the chevy in OD is slightly lower geared but also has one less transmission gear then the titan, which will certainly hurt it's towing ability and will suck more gas unloaded in O/D. IMHO the powertrain package in the new silverado basically ruins an otherwise nice truck, 4 spd auto's are a thing of the past. Toyota and Nissan offering 6spd and 5spd auto's coupled with more power results in sand being kicked in even a 6.0 chevy's face when it comes to pulling ooommph.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
got ya... i figured they had to be making up for it in the trans or converter....

the 4:10 in the GM stuff is not all that anywya.. our 2500 6.0 has them and sucks... i think we got one with the over active torque management system...

Thanks for the info guys...

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Take the Chebby for a ride then take the Titan for a ride. The Nissan will come out the clear winner. Damn Chebby rides like a lumber wagon and has the least responsive steering of any vehicle I have ever driven.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
SupraTitan said:
Compare the transmission gear ratio's, titan's 1st gear is 3.83 x 3.36 rear end= 12.86 of ratio, chevy 3.06 x 4.10=12.5, so the in 1st the titan actually has a lower ratio then a 4.10 equipped chevy. Then OD(5th), titan= .83 x 3.36=2.79 of ratio, vs. chevy .70(4th) x 4.10=2.87, so the chevy in OD is slightly lower geared but also has one less transmission gear then the titan, which will certainly hurt it's towing ability and will suck more gas unloaded in O/D. IMHO the powertrain package in the new silverado basically ruins an otherwise nice truck, 4 spd auto's are a thing of the past. Toyota and Nissan offering 6spd and 5spd auto's coupled with more power results in sand being kicked in even a 6.0 chevy's face when it comes to pulling ooommph.
I guess but my friend with an older chevy get 22+ MPG even with bike sin the back while I get 13. Maybe it doesent need the extra gears... I agree on the steering though! At least when I drove an 05, it was super loose felt like my Dad's oldy boxy TownCar.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea the GM stuff has some issues but ive beat on them for years with out major brakage... On the steering side our armada suck.. it wobbles when you hit pot holes... fells like the rear end is sliding, and the steering get way soft if you hit a man hole cover or anything like that...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts