Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of pinging problems with any years? I am not sure if this is what I hear or not. You can only hear it with the windows up and it does not seem to increase with rpms, also seems to be more pronounced on the passenger side. Also sounds like maybe tinny exhaust or leak? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
96 Posts
What you probably hearing is Ex leak or injectors. The truck has a very sofisticated ECU that will adjust timing and fuel delivery among other things to stop pinging before you have a chance to hear it with the naked ear.
Just my observation and finding I and others have found...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mrhavasu said:
Has anyone heard of pinging problems with any years? I am not sure if this is what I hear or not. You can only hear it with the windows up and it does not seem to increase with rpms, also seems to be more pronounced on the passenger side. Also sounds like maybe tinny exhaust or leak? Any thoughts?

My '04 did this for a year before Hunt Nissan in Chattanooga 'fixed' it.

To summarize... briefly... they said it was '$hitty gas' (their words, not mine), then it was the electric fan, then they said they couldn't hear it, then they said the ignition timing was correct, then they 'fixed' it by installing a ground strap (while at the same time, retarding the ignition timing so far that the truck wouldn't fall out of a tree and the fuel mileage took a dump). So, they did acknowledge that they retarded the timing "two degrees" (no way would a 2-degree retard slow the truck down that much) and then they agreed to bump the timing back up two degrees, put two dents in my hood, and sent me on my way with a still-slow truck.

But, at least it's quiet now. A big, fat, quiet, slow pig.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
jtmvol - what the hell kind of service was that?!

·
Registered
142 Posts
anmut said:
jtmvol - what the hell kind of service was that?!

I've been asking myself the same thing since July.

They did pay to have the dents fixed, but the guy who fixed them put two chips in the paint during the process. I didn't bother to mention the chips since I was tired of being at that clown-infested dealership.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
jtmvol said:
I've been asking myself the same thing since July.

They did pay to have the dents fixed, but the guy who fixed them put two chips in the paint during the process. I didn't bother to mention the chips since I was tired of being at that clown-infested dealership.
That is the most retarded thing I've ever heard. I hope you can find a different dealership to work with.

·
Registered
142 Posts
anmut said:
That is the most retarded thing I've ever heard. I hope you can find a different dealership to work with.
Unfortunately, the options are limited in Chattanooga. When I suspected that Hunt had seriously retarded the timing in order to get the truck to stop pinging, I called the only other dealer in Chattanooga (Mountain View Nissan) and asked them if I could get them to check the timing to see where it was set at (I wanted to find out from someone else and even offered to pay to have it checked) before I took it back to Hunt. Mountain View said "oh... well, if you're having troubles with it and Hunt has already been working on it we can't do anything for you". All I wanted to do was to pay Mountain View to check the timing, not change it or anything else, and they wouldn't do it.

When I was in the market for a truck, I purposely avoided Mountain View Nissan because their sister dealership across the street (Mountain View Ford) was a joke when it came to servicing two company vehicles I had. Keep in mind they were company vehicles... I didn't care about costs, etc., and the Ford service department was utterly pathetic. Hence, I went to Hunt Nissan when I bought a personal truck and avoided Mountain View Nissan since I had already experienced the incompetence of the Mountain View Ford (anti)service department.

In the future, I will avoid all of them... Hunt Nissan, Mountain View Nissan, Mountain View Edsel, Mountain View Yugo, or anything else in the Mountain View circus.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
That is so unfortunate to run into such a sh*tty dealership. You may be able to find a garage that has a nissan cert tech that could do some warranty work... just a thought.

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you mean a slight knocking sound like a diesel would make, I get it occasionally when ascending hills at low rpms and only briefly. As I recall the owners manual said a little of this is normal.

When i did try premium fuel (after 23K miles) I experienced none of this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts