Nissan Titan Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
BayStateSuks said:
Fabulous. Thanks for all the work dsessions.

Presumably, one could cut the existing bezel to the approximate dimensions of a double DIN unit and fab some mounting brackets to mount the unit in. Maybe some carbon fiber trim to fill in the space around it. So, the DNX7100 may get installed sooner than I thought. That is if I have relations with the wife and can persuade her to kind of agree to let me do it (kind of is all I need - she will never actually give me permission).
I didn't take too much time looking at all the mounting hardware, but from a quick glance it looked to me like a standard double DIN bracket holding in the factory head unit. So mounting shouldn't be a major issue, just the bezel.

dsessions: Sorry I have one more request if you are willing. If your head unit is still apart, can you take a picture of the wiring harness into the head unit so I can confirm as well that the metra wiring harness will also work on the 08?

Discussion starter · #23 ·
great news! thanks to all that looked into this for us wanting to swap stereos soon

FourDoor said:
dsessions: Sorry I have one more request if you are willing. If your head unit is still apart, can you take a picture of the wiring harness into the head unit so I can confirm as well that the metra wiring harness will also work on the 08?
Ill be working on this again tomorrow. Ill remove everything again and take pictures of all the components.

Ok here's a quote from a guy with an 08 trying to install an aftermarket stereo. Not saying it can't be done, just be careful guys.:)

Ok, they found one of the wires in the stereo harness (green/white) was fried and somehow fried some circuits behind the firewall, which also burned up two computers one of which was the BCM. I didn't get too many details yet they were still working on it. I guess this is rare because i have never heard of this happening nor has anyone else i talked to. So basically my installation of the DVD player did it. Looks like i will be waiting for a wiring harness before i put that DVD player back in!
They said maybe i will get the truck back today.....with my luck it will be tomorrow!

FourDoor said:
Yeah I pinged him too and thats one of our worries. He said didnt use an aftermarket wiring harness and just tapped into the factory head unit harness to wire up his stereo. He had an XE with the style 1/A climate controls and already had an opening for the double din to fit. Because of his "2 computers being fried", some would say that even the XEs with the older style climate controls is now somehow connected to the head units on the 08s.
Could the person performing the installation have made a bad connection choice and ended up frying the 2 computers?

Discussion starter · #28 ·
from what i was told at a stereo shop is that with a after market stereo you will loose the steering wheel fuction for the stereo and the over head for the rear passengers

I have an 08 XE Crew Cab with the standard single CD and the 3 knob hvac controls.

Does the single CD stereo have anything on the rear of the radio for a line in, aux, rca plugs.... anything at all?

I like OEM stereos because they have big buttons and easy readouts.

EXILE said:
from what i was told at a stereo shop is that with a after market stereo you will loose the steering wheel fuction for the stereo and the over head for the rear passengers
You can get the Pac Swix and regain steering wheel function with aftermaerket stereo (stereo must have infared remote function).

dakestar said:
I have an 08 XE Crew Cab with the standard single CD and the 3 knob hvac controls.

Does the single CD stereo have anything on the rear of the radio for a line in, aux, rca plugs.... anything at all?

I like OEM stereos because they have big buttons and easy readouts.
No there's nothing back there that I know off.

FourDoor said:
If you read the 08 owners manual (you can dl it from the nissan website), you will see that there are 3 types of climate controls on the Titan.

1. The older 3knob climate control that the 04-07s had
2. The non dual climate control that has 2 knobs and several buttons all bundled on the bottom of the bezel.
3. The dual climate control

1 looks like you can use the older kits to install a new radio but 2 and 3 needs a new bezel and kit to work.
So I have option number 1 above. I would like to switch to an aftermarket stereo.
What do I tell Crutchfield? Do I tell them to give me the kit for the 07 Titan Crew Cab Single CD?

Metra's website says the old 07 kits will fit the 08 but the same guy who had his 2 cpu's fried says that he bought the same harness kit and it did not fit his 08. That is why he cut the original wiring harness and simply did a direct wire to wire connection.

So in short, I still don't know who to believe. I am still a couple of months away from doing my stereo install but it may be worth a call to metra directly for you to get them to acknowledge which wiring harness, if any, will fit the 08s.

Personally, I believe the 04-07 stereo wiring harness will fit the 08 as well but we'll all just have to wait and see.

I am in the same boat as the guy who fried his cpus.

I received my aftermarket unit and the 07 harnesses. The 07 harnesses don't work with the 08 single cd non rf stock unit. It has a different harness.

So... I need to know what the stock wiring diagram color acronyms mean and if anyone has an 08 wiring diagram with color codes...

Thanks

:cheers: Nevermind... I figured out the problem. There were two Red/Blue Stripe wires and I just flipped them.

I went to the parts shop at my local mossy nissan in oside and I asked them if they had a wiring diagram for the 08 and they said hold on a minute let me check. The guy went and waited for the audio tech... then they printed up a 10 page detailed wiring diagram for me... Friggin awesome. I had no idea it would be that easy to get this stuff from a dealership.

Pioneer installed and working great. Gotta love usb input via my moto q9h...

Thanks to all for your input. It helps to have fellow titan owners out there that rock :bouncy:

dakestar: Congrats on the successful install. Just so we have a little bit of history here we can add for others and myself, can you tell us what kind of climate controls you have? Do you have the 3 older style knobs?

Also since you said the 07 aftermarket harness did not work, what did you do to tap into the factory harness wires? What were those 2 wires you had to swap?

Pics of your final setup would be great too. ;)

I have the old three knob setup.

After I found that the harness would not work I hard wired to the pioneer harness. There were two identical color wires - one was the dimmer I think and the other was a speaker wire. I was getting full power but no sound. Once I switched them out the pioneer worked like a charm.

Also one thing of note: the radio antenna was not your standard connection - it had its own weird harness. Crutchfield sells an adapter for 07 and newer Nissans to accomodate...

i will post some pics later.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.