Nissan Titan Forum banner

08 stereo wiried to a/c controls?

4K views 38 replies 8 participants last post by  dakestar 
#1 ·
is the climate control buttons wired to the stereo in all 08 titans or is it just the trucks with digital climate controls like in the LE trucks

i have the round knobs in my 08 SE fixing to do i stereo swap next week not sure if i have to wait for metras harness or not

#3 ·
EXILE said:
is the climate control buttons wired to the stereo in all 08 titans or is it just the trucks with digital climate controls like in the LE trucks

i have the round knobs in my 08 SE fixing to do i stereo swap next week not sure if i have to wait for metras harness or not
Yes the AC-heating controller is tie to the radio. Not sure if it's the same for the XE but it is for SE/LE.

Attachments

#5 ·
If you read the 08 owners manual (you can dl it from the nissan website), you will see that there are 3 types of climate controls on the Titan.

1. The older 3knob climate control that the 04-07s had
2. The non dual climate control that has 2 knobs and several buttons all bundled on the bottom of the bezel.
3. The dual climate control

1 looks like you can use the older kits to install a new radio but 2 and 3 needs a new bezel and kit to work.

#6 ·
bummer i have #2

#7 · (Edited)
FourDoor, I agree with what you have stated, but I don't think the buttons are actually part of the bezel. I think there is an opening in the bezel for the buttons to protrude through. I will have to look to make sure, but I think that is the case.

I also have #2. And if the bezel does include the buttons, then double bummer.

#8 ·
OK, i just finished removing the radio bezel out of my 08 XE (I have the the mid-line 6 disc changer). I have the 2nd type of climate control, The non dual climate control that has 2 knobs and several buttons all bundled on the bottom of the bezel.

BayState is correct, the buttons aren't part of the bezel, its a module that comes out of the bezel. As far as i can tell, there is NO integration between the climate control module and the head unit.

In reality, if you are good with fabbing, you could easily fab a bezel with a 2-din opening. the head unit harness is different than the older Nissans, and there is no harness adapter available yet, but you could easily tab into the wires you need with a splice.

#12 ·
BayStateSuks said:
Dsessions, what did you use to prior off the bezel and how did you get it off?
flat head screwdriver, just slip it between the stereo bezel and the rest of the center console and and pry it off (I put it at the very top of the bezel and it came off there with hardly any pressure). Its held in my several pressure clips and thats it.

#13 · (Edited)
Sorry if I confused some of you guys. I didn't mean that the actual buttons were placed on the bezel. Just that the whole climate control knobs and buttons were in one big section on the bottom of the Bezel.

Attached is a picture of my 08 Pro4X interior with the 6x cd changer.

What this basically means is that for any of us who have this style climate control, we definitely need to wait for metra to come out with a replacement bezel kit that will allow us to install a single/double din aftermarket head unit where the factory stereo is or get one custom made.

What we don't really know is for the non dual climate controls like this is if it is some how connected to the head unit. Some say yes, others say no. There may not be a direct wire connecting the climate control to the bezel but it may be connected in some other way electronically.

My hope is that it is that the climate controls from the the SE/Pro4X who have this style controls is NOT connected to the head unit. If this is the case, we just need a replacement bezel and do not have to wait for any electronics to be manufactured to bypass the climate to stock head unit connections. Heck, if this is the case, I can find some installers here locally that will cut out a double din opening for me and glass the stock bezel so I can finally install a double din nav unit today.

dsessions: Since you're the brave one to have taken off your bezel so far with the same climate controls as me would you mind uninstalling the factory head unit and test out the climate controls if they still work? If you answer yes, then we may actually be able to install our own aftermarket head units today. According to metra, their stereo wiring harness should work on the 08s:

http://retailer.installationexcellence.com/productfeatures.aspx?retailerid=1944&productid=1072

Attachments

#15 ·
Yeah I pinged him too and thats one of our worries. He said didnt use an aftermarket wiring harness and just tapped into the factory head unit harness to wire up his stereo. He had an XE with the style 1/A climate controls and already had an opening for the double din to fit. Because of his "2 computers being fried", some would say that even the XEs with the older style climate controls is now somehow connected to the head units on the 08s.

#16 ·
FourDoor said:
dsessions: Since you're the brave one to have taken off your bezel so far with the same climate controls as me would you mind uninstalling the factory head unit and test out the climate controls if they still work? If you answer yes, then we may actually be able to install our own aftermarket head units today. According to metra, their stereo wiring harness should work on the 08s:
Looks like i have some time before we take off for our trip, so im going to go attempt this now. Ill let you know what i find out.

#18 ·
Well, that was easy. that head unit is very easy to take out.. took me all of 5 minutes. Good news. With the stereo/bezel/AC controls that FourDoor has, which is the same as mine, I retained complete control of the AC module with the head unit completely removed. Looks like all that would be needed to install an after market is a bezel.

#19 · (Edited)
Fabulous. Thanks for all the work dsessions.

Presumably, one could cut the existing bezel to the approximate dimensions of a double DIN unit and fab some mounting brackets to mount the unit in. Maybe some carbon fiber trim to fill in the space around it. So, the DNX7100 may get installed sooner than I thought. That is if I have relations with the wife and can persuade her to kind of agree to let me do it (kind of is all I need - she will never actually give me permission).

#21 ·
BayStateSuks said:
Fabulous. Thanks for all the work dsessions.

Presumably, one could cut the existing bezel to the approximate dimensions of a double DIN unit and fab some mounting brackets to mount the unit in. Maybe some carbon fiber trim to fill in the space around it. So, the DNX7100 may get installed sooner than I thought. That is if I have relations with the wife and can persuade her to kind of agree to let me do it (kind of is all I need - she will never actually give me permission).
I didn't take too much time looking at all the mounting hardware, but from a quick glance it looked to me like a standard double DIN bracket holding in the factory head unit. So mounting shouldn't be a major issue, just the bezel.

#23 ·
great news! thanks to all that looked into this for us wanting to swap stereos soon

#24 ·
FourDoor said:
dsessions: Sorry I have one more request if you are willing. If your head unit is still apart, can you take a picture of the wiring harness into the head unit so I can confirm as well that the metra wiring harness will also work on the 08?
Ill be working on this again tomorrow. Ill remove everything again and take pictures of all the components.

#26 ·
Ok here's a quote from a guy with an 08 trying to install an aftermarket stereo. Not saying it can't be done, just be careful guys.:)

Ok, they found one of the wires in the stereo harness (green/white) was fried and somehow fried some circuits behind the firewall, which also burned up two computers one of which was the BCM. I didn't get too many details yet they were still working on it. I guess this is rare because i have never heard of this happening nor has anyone else i talked to. So basically my installation of the DVD player did it. Looks like i will be waiting for a wiring harness before i put that DVD player back in!
They said maybe i will get the truck back today.....with my luck it will be tomorrow!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.