Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I'm taking my truck in tomorrow after a long weekend in the woods I noticed my steering wheel shaking on the way home last night. It seems to happen at 65mph +. I know it's under warranty but it is very annoying seeing that there's only 800 miles on the truck!

Any advice on what the dealer might tell me is wrong? Alignment? I went through some pretty good stick-icky mud this weekend but nothing more than I would expect a 28k brand new 1/2 ton truck to eat up and ask for seconds on. :)

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Bet you $20 one (or all) wheels are off balance due to mud, most likely some is stuck on the inner part of the wheel (Between the wheel and brake rotor). It's also possible you lost the stuck-on wheel weights, which go in that same part of the wheel, due to rippin through the mud.

There's really no other reason for the shake and you may want to make sure to clean off all the mud to see if the problem goes away. At the very least, the dealer wouldn't be able to blame it on your weekend fun if there's no evidence of muddy carnage. ;) The warranty doesn't cover such things since that isn't a defect, though most dealers are nice and will do a simple fix like that for free since the truck is so new.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think yahooligan is right on this one. I had a similar thing happen to me once when snow got packed in the rim of one tire. When you hit interstate speed, she shook like she was going through drug withdrawal. Not a pleasant experience.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yahooligan said:
Bet you $20 one (or all) wheels are off balance due to mud, most likely some is stuck on the inner part of the wheel (Between the wheel and brake rotor). It's also possible you lost the stuck-on wheel weights, which go in that same part of the wheel, due to rippin through the mud.

There's really no other reason for the shake and you may want to make sure to clean off all the mud to see if the problem goes away. At the very least, the dealer wouldn't be able to blame it on your weekend fun if there's no evidence of muddy carnage. ;) The warranty doesn't cover such things since that isn't a defect, though most dealers are nice and will do a simple fix like that for free since the truck is so new.
Good call - I did have it buried pretty deep in some clay mud - I'll get it washed first tomorrow and check it again. Thanks again!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yahooligan said:

Agreed! Also alignment issues will not cause wheel vibration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts