Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m doing a complete brake replacement due to corrosion. I’ve got one rear brake off including the parking brake drum. HOW THE HECK do you get the drum brake springs back on? There must be an easier way then cuss and pull. I’ve looked for answ and they all say “it’s hard”. No kidding. I have to stop after several hours, my hands froze. 😠 Is there a special tool?

Help and thank you!

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
There are drum brake spring tools, but I'm not sure how easily they would work behind the axle flange on these. I have yet to need to disassemble mine. I do know it was a bear when we did the ones on my son's 2000 F150 which were the same "inside the rotor hat" style parking brake.

Reactions: MDBrown

·
Registered
2008 kc se 4x4
90 Posts
You can use the drum brake tool on these I did it on mine when replacing my parking shoes. They do help just enough to get the job done, but you will still be cussing.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
That pretty much mimics my experience working either my son on his F150!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After about two weeks I finally replaced the entire parking brake system. Most of the wait was parts. I highly recommend if you tackle this that you have plenty of time available. Youth would be helpful too. Replace EVERYTHING. You don’t want to do this frequently. Put the parking brake lever on first. It’s not bad putting the new pads on. Put the small spring on first, then the (Samuel L. Jackson obscenity) large spring. Hook the large spring in the top hole and use gravity as your friend to assist hooking it into the bottom hole. I found that using a steel awl hooked on the spring and stuck into the bottom hole allowed the spring to slide into place.
This is the only video I found helpful:

wish me luck purging the master cylinder and brake lines.
For me, if this ever needs to be done again, I’m paying a mechanic. :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts